Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Damn right they shouldn't. But they are. So until society progresses, rights have to be upheld. I don't think they do have more. If they did have more, why the hell are they underrepresented in almost all sectors? And I'm not just talking ethnic minorities, I mean women, older people, etc etc.
    Oh, let's not get onto this "underrepresented/overrepresented" nonsense again.

Indians I should imagine are "overrepresented" in the medical profession. What are you suggesting? That we turf the Indian doctors out of the hospitals and clinics to work in the construction industry where they are certain to be underrepresented?

And who do we replace them with? Do we train Black Jamaicans to be doctors because they are at present "underrepresented"?

The fact is that different folks excel at different stuff and gravitate towards different areas of life and work. You'll probably find gays are "overrepresented" in television, theater, the media etc and you show me sucessful diamond trader who's not jewish! The entire industry is dominated by Jews. But, so what?

You cannot forever spend your time dreaming up ways to equalize absolutely everything unless you ignore a propensity for and gravitational pull towards certain sectors. You can't sack someone because there's too many of that type of person doing that type of job and replace them with someone else because there's not enough of that type of person!

Rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh, let's not get onto this "underrepresented/overrepresented" nonsense again.

Indians I should imagine are "overrepresented" in the medical profession. What are you suggesting? That we turf the Indian doctors out of the hospitals and clinics to work in the construction industry where they are certain to be underrepresented?

And who do we replace them with? Do we train Black Jamaicans to be doctors because they are at present "underrepresented"?

The fact is that different folks excel at different stuff and gravitate towards different areas of life and work. You'll probably find gays are "overrepresented" in television, theater, the media etc and you show me sucessful diamond trader who's not jewish! The entire industry is dominated by Jews. But, so what?

You cannot forever spend your time dreaming up ways to equalize absolutely everything unless you ignore a propensity for and gravitational pull towards certain sectors. You can't sack someone because there's too many of that type of person doing that type of job and replace them with someone else because there's not enough of that type of person!

Rubbish!
    No no no.

I don't care if people are overrepresented as such, I just care that this isn't a barrier to entry. I'm not one of these people who says "Ooh there aren't enough black people in the police force, we must try to get more!" But I do think it's a problem in society if a black guy applies to become a police offer, and a slightly racist interviewer decides no because he's black.

ReputationRep:
    No no no.

I don't care if people are overrepresented as such, I just care that this isn't a barrier to entry. I'm not one of these people who says "Ooh there aren't enough black people in the police force, we must try to get more!" But I do think it's a problem in society if a black guy applies to become a police offer, and a slightly racist interviewer decides no because he's black.
    Well, I take that point too.

ReputationRep:
    Forget who's under or overrepresented, just employ who's best for the damn job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    So we agree

ReputationRep:
    So we agree
    If only the powers that be would, or those idiots that expend the race card...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    I also don't think universities should have to fill quotas.
    Ummm - they don't

ReputationRep:
    In my "advent" calendar this year it was wat not christmasy at all, no pictures of jesus and the donkeys, the usual angel! It had a ghost in for godsake! I later found out it didn't so it didn't offend any non-christians. What the hell are non-christians buying an advent calendar for? I ask you! I suffer, the people who are christian suffer for people calebrating a religious hoilday that they obviuosly don't believe in it!

We are not going to call murderers murderers anymore as it will offend tham same with bloody paedophiles.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because we are now living in a legalistic society just like the yanks. Everyone is suing everyone for the slightest thing for monetary gain. It's becoming outrageous.

DAMN AMERICANS.

ReputationRep:
    No no no.

which im afraid is a long way behind us. almost every employer these days has targets. the worst offenders are institutions and those most under pressure from the liberal groups. youve never filled in one of the obligatory 'whats your ethnic identity, for our research' forms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Ummm - they don't
    Don't Oxford/Cambridge have to take x % of different folks under threat of reduced funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    Why? Because we are now living in a legalistic society just like the yanks. Everyone is suing everyone for the slightest thing for monetary gain. It's becoming outrageous.

DAMN AMERICANS.

I think we're more of a nanny state than they are, aren't we?

ReputationRep:

DAMN AMERICANS.
    I agree and love your avatar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    tell that to the NHS, the BBC, the police force.

ReputationRep:

DAMN AMERICANS.
    absolute rubbish. and ill take the 'damn americans' as tongue-in-cheek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    I think I bloody will!

<proceeds to type email before getting bored, exclaiming "**** it" and getting on with life>

Can't be arsed, nothing's going to change...

ReputationRep:
    I think we're more of a nanny state than they are, aren't we?
    I think you could say that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    With that certain recent documentary on the police force, do you really think the police force are wrong in trying to eliminate racism from the force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I think you could say that!
    First thing I noticed when I visited the states was how much freedom there was to do whatever I wanted to, and how claustrophobic Britain is.

ReputationRep:
    First thing I noticed when I visited the states was how much freedom there was to do whatever I wanted to, and how claustrophobic Britain is.
    That's why, for all the US' faults, I won't be returning to the UK anytime soon.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.