Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I really need help please. I got a C in my exam for English at AS (B overall because of full marks in coursework). Our topic was 'The Struggle For Identity'.

However, my teacher got my exam paper back, and she said the one thing that really lets me down is my structuring of the essay and how I don't relate to the question enough.
    I'm really panicking because I'm re-sitting this exam in January, and my teacher's are confusing me with structuring my essay - they both give me different structures and guides to follow.

Could anyone please give me a full analysis of an essay structure plan, like how a perfect structured essay would look, and how to relate back to the question?

Bearing in mind, we have to analyse the unseen text, and bring in wider reading. and in the second question, we have to annotate a few poems in Duffy's 'The World's Wife'.

Structure really lets me down in English, purely because I get too muddled up when I write and lose my flow, and then it all becomes jumbled up. I never stick to a strict order or regime because I've never been taught one.

Help me please!!

ReputationRep:
    do you plan before you write your essay? that really helps!

say you have 4 major points you want to make in your essay, each paragraph should focus on that particular point. so you can start by giving a bit of contextual information on a point, then supporting it with evident from the text, then explaining why the writer has done what she has, then use some more evidence, then go back to your main point, then try to end the paragraph by relating back to your question.

ive tried to make that as clear as i can, but obviously not everyone structures essays like that, but thats sort of the main skeleton i try to stick to.

also never make a new point in your conclusion!

ReputationRep:
    ah thank you, that's clarified a lot thanks for your help!
    i do plan before i start, yeah
    but when it comes to wider reading, is it best to use some wider reading quotes that relate and reinforce a specific point? so then one paragraph will have contextual information,evidence from text that supports it, why the writer has done this, and then add some wider reading quotes explaining the effect and why the writer has done them, and then connect it all up in a final sentences that also relates back to the question?

also, any ideas on how to cover the AO4? historical context etc... i never know how to include that in my essay without making the essay sound like a history essay! haha

ReputationRep:
    you can use specific quotes, but i wouldnt use them in every single paragraph. i would say you could use a couple of contextual quotes for your introduction and maybe one for your conclusion too.

the best way to do that would be maybe to mention other texts that are similar to the one you are talking about, maybe other writers who created similar work at the time. the key thing to remember is you are using this contectual information to support your arguement about the text, not actually writing an essay about the context.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 30, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.