Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I guess the time has finally come to part ways with my beloved MacBook Pro, its been a great machine for the past 2 years and I am genuinely reluctant to let it go, despite getting an upgrade.
    So, I was wondering how much you guys think it would be worth? Its in a very good condition and will be in an even better condition when its been cleaned up, it just has a tiny dent on the top left corner of the lid; I dont know what caused it, I think it was from keeping it in a bag with the plug and one of the plug pins has pushed against it causing a little, shallow indentation and its not very noticeable at all.

Now then to the specs:

13-inch mid 2009 MacBook Pro
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (P8400)
    5 GB DDR3 memory/RAM (originally 2 GB but replaced 1 x 1 GB with a new 4 GB costing £160.00)
    Nvidia GeForce 9400M 256MB
    160GB HDD
    13.3" widescreen display
    8X DL SuperDrive

It also has a brand new battery, it was replaced by Apple the Sunday before last which wouldve cost approximately £100, it comes with a new charger which was replaced by Apple a few months ago also which wouldve also cost approximately £100. There is also a years left of my AppleCare which expires in December 2013.
    EDIT - Almost forgot, can sell it with a fresh install of Mac OS X Lion as well as the install DVD for Snow Leopard (which it came with) and can also install Office for Mac 2011 but will be holding onto the disc.

So there we have it, I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting a good price for it? Obviously it was bought new for over £1000 and has had a decent amount spent on it, ive looked on eBay but none have a similar spec to mine so its hard to see what mine should be sold for (most seem to be selling for about £500). I will be placing it on eBay so im looking for a good starting price and would I could possibly expect to receive for it? I will need to get at least £500 in order to fund the upgrade also!

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I would say £450-£500 is a far estimation, going by what other macs sell for right now. Heck in my first search I found a broken being sold for spares reaching over £300 and seven bids.

ReputationRep:
    Around £300-£400 which is mainly because of the outdated Processor and the Graphics Card

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 4Gb Ram, 500GB (2 x 250GB HDD's) and Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT which I paid £700 for Brand new 2 years ago and I would value it to be around £200-300? But because yours is an Apple I would add an extra £100 on top of mine.

ReputationRep:
    I'll trade you a crunchie?

ReputationRep:
    £300. Ebay has them for around that price, even lower really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I would say £450-£500 is a far estimation, going by what other macs sell for right now. Heck in my first search I found a broken being sold for spares reaching over £300 and seven bids.
    Yeah I just had another look on eBay and most are being sold for just under £600 without the memory upgrade and im hoping the battery and charger will a bit more onto it.
    I was watching one that sold a few days ago for £590 and im also watching one with a buy it now of £580 and one with 4 days left, 0 bids and starting at £600.

(Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Around £300-£400 which is mainly because of the outdated Processor and the Graphics Card

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 4Gb Ram, 500GB (2 x 250GB HDD's) and Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT which I paid £700 for Brand new 2 years ago and I would value it to be around £200-300? But because yours is an Apple I would add an extra £100 on top of mine.
    If I got that id be extremely gutted to be honest, especially considering what prices a quick search on eBay brings up!

Ive emailed the specs to CeX too to see what they will offer but I guess ill get more on eBay.

ReputationRep:
    Well aluminium is £960 per ton at the moment.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercaine.)
    Yeah I just had another look on eBay and most are being sold for just under £600 without the memory upgrade and im hoping the battery and charger will a bit more onto it.
    I was watching one that sold a few days ago for £590 and im also watching one with a buy it now of £580 and one with 4 days left, 0 bids and starting at £600.

If I got that id be extremely gutted to be honest, especially considering what prices a quick search on eBay brings up!

Ive emailed the specs to CeX too to see what they will offer but I guess ill get more on eBay.
    Because it's an Apple Product, I am pretty sure you can boost it up by a fair amount but not too much because of what I have mentioned. But I do wish you the very best of luck Do let us know how you get on though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Because it's an Apple Product, I am pretty sure you can boost it up by a fair amount but not too much because of what I have mentioned. But I do wish you the very best of luck Do let us know how you get on though.
    Thanks a lot! I shall do

ReputationRep:
    OK so ive listed it on eBay! CeX said theyd give me £465 but I think id get more then that on eBay even when I take into account the fact they take 10%.

Anyway, is there a way to get rid of all sensitive data but keep programs and stuff on here? Ive used erase free space a few times on it already but I just wanted to make sure. I dont mind install all the programs again im gonna sell it with but I just wanted to check if it can be done that way?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I guess the time has finally come to part ways with my beloved MacBook Pro, its been a great machine for the past 2 years and I am genuinely reluctant to let it go, despite getting an upgrade.
    So, I was wondering how much you guys think it would be worth? Its in a very good condition and will be in an even better condition when its been cleaned up, it just has a tiny dent on the top left corner of the lid; I dont know what caused it, I think it was from keeping it in a bag with the plug and one of the plug pins has pushed against it causing a little, shallow indentation and its not very noticeable at all.

Now then to the specs:

13-inch mid 2009 MacBook Pro
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (P8400)
    5 GB DDR3 memory/RAM (originally 2 GB but replaced 1 x 1 GB with a new 4 GB costing £160.00)
    Nvidia GeForce 9400M 256MB
    160GB HDD
    13.3" widescreen display
    8X DL SuperDrive

It also has a brand new battery, it was replaced by Apple the Sunday before last which wouldve cost approximately £100, it comes with a new charger which was replaced by Apple a few months ago also which wouldve also cost approximately £100. There is also a years left of my AppleCare which expires in December 2013.
    EDIT - Almost forgot, can sell it with a fresh install of Mac OS X Lion as well as the install DVD for Snow Leopard (which it came with) and can also install Office for Mac 2011 but will be holding onto the disc.

So there we have it, I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting a good price for it? Obviously it was bought new for over £1000 and has had a decent amount spent on it, ive looked on eBay but none have a similar spec to mine so its hard to see what mine should be sold for (most seem to be selling for about £500). I will be placing it on eBay so im looking for a good starting price and would I could possibly expect to receive for it? I will need to get at least £500 in order to fund the upgrade also!

Thanks a lot!
    out of interest why are you selling it / what are you upgrading too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenman500)
    out of interest why are you selling it / what are you upgrading too?
    Theres no real reason for why im selling it, I just fancy an upgrade; im going for one of the new MacBook Airs. It still works perfectly well though and hasnt let me down once so I am a bit sad to let it go because its been such a great machine!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck bro! Keep us updated. I would love a beautiful machine like a MacBook Pro. I have an iPhone and I guess I will just have to save

Merry Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the apple bashers are going "Yeah it's not worth much" bla bla.

So long as it's in good condition, you're looking at getting £500/600 for it. It's like my MacBook Pro (Mid-2010) was £1800 new, probably worth £1000+ now.

If you're looking to completely erase the drive, boot up on to the install disk/partition, go into disk utility and do the secure erase (Erases all data 7 times) but do it more than once, very unlikely anyone would be able to recover your data.

ReputationRep:
    sell it for around 300-400£ considering new macbooks costs around 899 and the fact yours is 2 years old i think it's a good price range.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no real reason for why im selling it, I just fancy an upgrade; im going for one of the new MacBook Airs. It still works perfectly well though and hasnt let me down once so I am a bit sad to let it go because its been such a great machine!
    Good call with your upgrade choice, I did the exact same thing and got an MBA. So worth it, the SSD / portability makes such a massive difference, you won't regret it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.