Turn on thread page Beta

David De Gea - His international future watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to get an opinion from people here about what they think the future holds for De Gea, more at an international level than club level.

Only reason I'm asking is because I have an opinion that my mates have said is weird & completely wrong!

I could imagine him being the best keeper never to do much on the international stage. By that I mean I can easily see him being one of the best keepers in the world but he isn't going to break into the Spanish team for a long time. You look at the 3 keepers ahead of him right now, you have Casillas, Reina and Valdes, who all at the absolute peak of their ability and all have at least 7 years of world class performances ahead of the.

Personally I can't see De Gea, no matter how good he gets, knocking Reina or Casillas out of the national side, which would mean that wouldn't break into the national side properly till he is 28.

I mean, can anybody else think of a nation right now which is as strong in goal as Spain? Somebody of De Geas quality would already be first choice keeper for a lot of large nations, and in a couple of years time would probably be first choice for just about every single country except for Spain.

So, anybody else share my opinion on this, that no matter how good he gets he will never have the chance to be a great on the International stage?

ReputationRep:
    I've wondered the same thing many times to.

IMO, it'll be dependent on the form of Reina and him to see if he even makes the team. The Spanish manager probably will have a preference too.

However I can't see him being first choice as long as Casillas or Valdes are playing for Spain. Although he was keeper in the U21 Euros last summer, which Spain won.

ReputationRep:
    Minimum 5 years to even get into the squad of 3 keepers. Probably right in saying about 8 years before potentially first choice dependant on other factors.

But even if he were to become Spain GK aged 28, he could be their first choice for 5-10 years which isn't exactly bad. Reina and Valdes are brilliant keepers but barely get a look in internationally too.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, he won't be doing much for at least another four or five years. I mean, remember Casillas is still only thirty years of age. He could easily do another three to four years, from where you have Reina coming in...I can't see him even breaking into the squad until he's 25/26...

ReputationRep:
    He will never get into the spanish side. Cassilias > valdes ~ Reina > de Gea. In a few years he will be second choice. Never first.

ReputationRep:
    Oh but he won't be the best keeper to not play at international level. If he's the best, he'd be first choice. He's got a very long way to prove himself better than Casillas, Reina and Valdes.

ReputationRep:
    Suits Fergie just fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think Vicente guata is also a great keeper and could compete with De Gea. 8 years is a long time, so there could be others brillant young keepesr who could take De gea's place. I don't think De Gea is any brillant at the moment, he's a good keeper, no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodlecup93)
    I've wondered the same thing many times to.

IMO, it'll be dependent on the form of Reina and him to see if he even makes the team. The Spanish manager probably will have a preference too.

However I can't see him being first choice as long as Casillas or Valdes are playing for Spain. Although he was keeper in the U21 Euros last summer, which Spain won.
    But Reina is better than Valdes. He's just picked above him sometimes because Reina doesn't play for Real Madrid or Barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    Agree, but Reina has been very shaky this season. His distribution is nothing like De Gea's, and he has made a few errors this season. But, like I said, I agree, will probably take until Euro 2016 for him to be getting games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Agree, but Reina has been very shaky this season. His distribution is nothing like De Gea's, and he has made a few errors this season. But, like I said, I agree, will probably take until Euro 2016 for him to be getting games.
    Did you watch the Liverpool/Man City game? He was really good.

And again last night, saved a Torres header that was surprisingly good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Did you watch the Liverpool/Man City game? He was really good.

And again last night, saved a Torres header that was surprisingly good!
    But dropped a few catches, made a few dodgy punches and came out when he shouldn't have a few times. Yeah he recovered when he came out, but no idea why he did in the first place. Kicked it straight to city a few times too. If De Gea had done those things, he would have been slated.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think Reina's distribution is very good.

Agree about De Gea though, he's nowhere near the level of Casillas/Reina/Valdes at the moment. Can see Casillas getting close to 200 caps before he retires!

ReputationRep:
    His distribution is nothing like De Gea's, and he has made a few errors this season.
    His distribution is probably one of his best attributes?

ReputationRep:
    In the sense that Reina's distribution is the best in the league and De Gea's is still lacking?

Maybe watch players before you make up random attributes for them to support your argument.

Lol De Gea hasn't made some howlers this season?

Reina plays like a sweeper for us and a damn good one.

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking the mick? He's been fantastic.

Reina does make errors, but no more than Casillas. In recent seasons, in fact, not even that recent, I remember fumbling a Drogba shot in against Chelsea in 08-09, and unluckily pushing the ball in off the post against Arsenal on the first day of last year. Casillas is beaten at his near post far too much. Did you see Reina's save from the (Luiz) header against Chelsea? Only Joe Hart and maybe Al-Habsi match his shot-stopping, but the reason why Reina is so damn good is because he is absolutely rapid off his line and that saved us at least three times against City.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, Valdez isnt in the same quality range as Reina and Casillas. IMO atleast.

Casillas form may drop with age, he's been so consistent for so long. De Gea should only get better. Especially with you know who coaching him.

ReputationRep:
    De Gea becoming number one depends on Casillas and if he can keep his current level. So at a guess I'd say around 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    You're worrying about a goalkeeper not getting into his national side until he's 28? That's around the age that he should be getting there. Just because Casillas has been number one for 57 years already doesn't mean that's the norm. David Seaman only really became England's number one for Euro 1996, when he was 32 and didn't do too badly for his international career. Remember, goalkeepers have the best of their career's later than most players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    His distribution is probably one of his best attributes?
    Whatever, only seen him a couple of times this season, and his distribution hasn't been the best
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    In the sense that Reina's distribution is the best in the league and De Gea's is still lacking?

Maybe watch players before you make up random attributes for them to support your argument.

Lol De Gea hasn't made some howlers this season?

Reina plays like a sweeper for us and a damn good one.
    No, De Gea made a howler in the charity shield and the first game of the season. Since then, no he hasn't. Might have saved one or 2 against city, but by no means howlers. And if you watched De Gea, you would see his distribution is ridiculously good.

(Original post by medhopeful696969)
    Are you taking the mick? He's been fantastic.

Reina does make errors, but no more than Casillas. In recent seasons, in fact, not even that recent, I remember fumbling a Drogba shot in against Chelsea in 08-09, and unluckily pushing the ball in off the post against Arsenal on the first day of last year. Casillas is beaten at his near post far too much. Did you see Reina's save from the (Luiz) header against Chelsea? Only Joe Hart and maybe Al-Habsi match his shot-stopping, but the reason why Reina is so damn good is because he is absolutely rapid off his line and that saved us at least three times against City.
    I wasn't comparing him to Casillas. I was comparing him this season to De Gea.

I know Reina is a ****ing epic goalie, I wish we had actually tried to sign him when his contract stalled. But from what I have seen this season, he seems lacking in confidence and makes random errors of judgement that liverpool fans rather than say for once their player made an error call "playing as a sweeper" even though it nearly cost them a goal. OK then.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.