Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Trying to wade my way through the mature student process.

I know what I want to study, I know what job I want to get with my degree.

I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 OU courses before applying to NTU but I am now wondering if its worth just going for it and applying to NTU for 2012 entry.

ReputationRep:
    All personal choice....

I wanted to go straight to Uni but didn't get it - taken a year out working two jobs and by next Sept I'll be going to Uni £12000 richer and with a lot of real life experience that will hopefully help me in the long run; so it could have turned out worse really!

Just make sure you've got your plans set if your not going - don't want to be left sitting around doing nothing!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and what OU courses are you think of? I did one in business management just as something to do for a few months and it turned out to be nothing more than a huge ball ache haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlface)
    Trying to wade my way through the mature student process.

I know what I want to study, I know what job I want to get with my degree.

I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 OU courses before applying to NTU but I am now wondering if its worth just going for it and applying to NTU for 2012 entry.
    If you already have the qualifications to get a place then why not just apply?
    Nothing to stop you doing an OU course, or even two, between now and next Sept. Lots of course starting in Jan and Feb.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have the full range, unfortunately - but with me being 25 and the usual rules not applying, I'm sort of hoping they may let it slide if I give a cracking PS and interview.

OU - just started browsing around there, trying to find something that will fit in.

Im a SAHM so if I dont get in then my girls will get an extra year of me being at home and I'll probably Christmas temp like I do most years !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el pollo diablo)
    Bear in mind that universities do like to see some evidence of recent study. The 'usual rules not applying' depends far more on how much relevant experience you have than your age.
    Yeah thats what I thought... Its looking like two or three Business Management courses then

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you haven't already contacted them, try emailing the admissions tutor/s for the subject/s you're interested in. They'll be able to give you a precise answer. I did this before applying, and got lots of useful advice.

ReputationRep:
    it would be helpful if you were to say which subject you intend to study

ReputationRep:
    I think it completely depends on the course and university. My friend is currently studying Law at Northumbria, he has his GCSEs and that's it. He worked as a roofer prior to starting his course.
    I'm currently doing a science access course at college, and i've applied to do Pharmacy at uni. So far i have an interview scheduled and today i got a conditional offer. There's no way i would get into do a Pharmacy degree without doing a qualification first.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the advice given above. Talk to to uni's you are interested in, and see what they say.

However I would also suggest that you think of doing an access course.

It had been a looong time since I did any sort of academic work, and to be honest I struggled in my first year, mine is a course (Politics and History) that you really need some basic skills. I found it tough to do all the reading that was required, and essays were a nightmare. I am now in my second year and I am loving it.

If you have the technical skills, than by all means find the shortest route to uni, if not, than the shortest path may not be the best path.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for northumbria to study biomedical science - pending a referance check

I didnt do great at school due to alot of personal issues at the time and left with

C-C applied science
    C English language
    C English literature
    D maths
    D ICT
    D art
    E music
    E systems
    E religious education

after having my son I did a GCSE in biology and got a C
    I also did a 3 day course and got a NCFE level 2 numeracy

I applied for a BTEC but dropped out due to the college constantly ****ing up

went back into work based training

I have just done a UCPD at Teeside uni

so you can get offers without the classic access course

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.