Turn on thread page Beta

no friends at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    3 months into uni and I've just realised I've made no friends -- only acquaintances. This is really getting me depressed, I go out once or twice a week with the 4 people that I live with but I wouldn't consider any of them friends. 2 of them are real nice but we have nothing in common, the other 2 are huge ********s so whilst I go out with these people we aren't friends. I'm doing the exact same course as the two people I hate (they don't know I hate them) and so I find it impossible to simply avoid them because not only do we see each other at home but we also see each other every time we're at lectures. I don't know why I've made no friends, I'm a pretty likeable guy (or so I like to think) and I had plenty of friends back home but I've made none whatsoever here.
    This is getting me pretty depressed.

wat do?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone always says join some societies to get to know like-minded people.

You don't have to have things in common with friends, it helps obviously, but you can have a great time discovering things you've previously overlooked.

I'd be tempted to try and arrange a night out when you know the 2 ********s can't go and invite the other 2 to bring their friends along...hopefully you'll click with someone

ReputationRep:
    I was in practically the same position 2 years ago. Then, at the start of my second year, this girl transferred from another uni, and we have been 24/7 companions ever since. I know it doesn't help much, but don't lose hope just yet

ReputationRep:
    SAME..3 months..no friends..just acquaintances. barely..but i dont live in..just not interested..and im not gonna force myself on ppl neither am i gna beg friends!..sorry..if people wanna make an effort they can..i make some effort u gta meet me halfway..

maybe its just my uni that i hate...PLUS a majority of people are not what u could class as friends anyway.. i mean how many of those u meet at uni will be there for u.. i mean really be there for u during the hardest moments of your life??..therefore u can stay my acquaintance..

but suddenly everyone will wanna know u when your 'someone' or u have money! KISS MY ASS MAN!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat. I guess it's because I've been spending most of my time with my girlfriend, my job, studying, and art. I have a few pals but no one too close. I'm a bit worried about it since by gf and I are probably breaking up soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Eza. I'm totally in the same boat. I don't know anyone, and nobody wants to know me. I have no gf/job or anything like that though, soooo.....

Look at the positives for you mate. You have a GF, a Job, and you're studying. Try and focus your life on them points, and when your self confidence comes around, due to your success in these fields, it's the prime time to know people

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same position, I'm just hoping that it'll be easier next semester and that some acquaintances will mature into friendships. Try not to let it get you too down though, things will go better soon, I know so many people who didn't meet there best friends until further into uni. I know it's rubbish hearing that in some ways because it's difficult to get through, but just stick through it

ReputationRep:
    Would be interesting if you guys got together met up and see if you can form a friendship.

I think it's basicly you need to be at the right place at the right time to form friendship.

ReputationRep:
    Knock on doors and ask if you can come in :P I have loads of friends and never hang out with my flatmates, mainly because I hardly see them! Just go out of your way to meet people

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, but the only difference is I live with 11 people... I am a fresher and 3/4's of them are in their third year so cannot wait to get out of here! It's so depressing... I've joined societies and stuff and I speak to people on my course but I wouldn't class any of them as 'friends'. But don't give up! I'm sure someone will come along and solve everything and you'll realise that actually things aren't so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derakkarbj)
    3 months into uni and I've just realised I've made no friends -- only acquaintances. This is really getting me depressed, I go out once or twice a week with the 4 people that I live with but I wouldn't consider any of them friends. 2 of them are real nice but we have nothing in common, the other 2 are huge ********s so whilst I go out with these people we aren't friends. I'm doing the exact same course as the two people I hate (they don't know I hate them) and so I find it impossible to simply avoid them because not only do we see each other at home but we also see each other every time we're at lectures. I don't know why I've made no friends, I'm a pretty likeable guy (or so I like to think) and I had plenty of friends back home but I've made none whatsoever here.
    This is getting me pretty depressed.

wat do?
    I'm in the same boat. Many people are lonely in university.

The best thing to do is just go and join random societies. Go on random events and meet people.

You don't have to have close friends in uni. All that counts is that you get out there and meet people and try.

ReputationRep:
    mee too but i have always struggled in making friends

personally i have decided no to stress myself over it . instead i chose to happy &be grateful for what i have. it wont solve the problem but you may feel less miserable

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2012
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.