Turn on thread page Beta

When do A Levels get hard? Maths, Physics & Chemistry watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 12 student currently studying maths, physics and chemistry at AS, with further Maths next year, and am wondering when these subjects will get hard.
    That's not to say they are very easy at the moment, but I am not finding any of the subjects particularly challenging as yet, and am averaging 90%+ in mock tests we do.
    Is there a massive step up for the summer science exams? Do C3 and C4 get a lot harder than C1 and C2, or is it natural progreesion, like from GCSE to AS Level.

ReputationRep:
    C3 - isn't too much of a step up except Trigonometry, but we did spend lots of time on C3. C4 is ok as far I'm up to (2nd chapter)

Chemistry gets hard at A2

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry doesn't get hard, just awesome

ReputationRep:
    This really depends on an awful lot. Some people won't notice any real difference at any point, some will notice a huge jump from GCSE, some will notice a big jump AS-A2. You'll just have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't found physics hard at all and it does seem to be a natural progression however, this might differ with the person as I find equations easier to thnk about than long wordy things. I also found C3 and C4 a little harder than C1 and C2 but they are building on knowledge raher than going to high and difficult levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    C3 - isn't too much of a step up except Trigonometry, but we did spend lots of time on C3. C4 is ok as far I'm up to (2nd chapter)

Chemistry gets hard at A2
    What gets hard about chemistry? Conceptually more difficult or just more to remember?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the jump from C2-C3 was the biggest.

Physics As-A2 wasnt nice, the final modules an absolute beast too. So much to remember, the exams become like 50% theory, and remembering all the specifics to medical physics is a pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Gina)
    I am a year 12 student currently studying maths, physics and chemistry at AS, with further Maths next year, and am wondering when these subjects will get hard.
    That's not to say they are very easy at the moment, but I am not finding any of the subjects particularly challenging as yet, and am averaging 90%+ in mock tests we do.
    Is there a massive step up for the summer science exams? Do C3 and C4 get a lot harder than C1 and C2, or is it natural progreesion, like from GCSE to AS Level.
    If your study skills are solid and you're not thick, they never get too hard. It doesn't take an astounding effort to do very well, to be honest. Which isn't really a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    A2 chem is a lot harder
    A2 maths is slightly harder
    A2 Biology is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamBeowulf)
    A2 chem is a lot harder
    A2 maths is slightly harder
    A2 Biology is the same
    How does it get a lot harder in chemistry? More to remember of difficult to understand concepts?

ReputationRep:
    This is all subjective.

ReputationRep:
    What gets hard about chemistry? Conceptually more difficult or just more to remember?
    Three letters....NMR

That's the biggest challenge in the whole of Chemistry A Level is just understanding and practising it.

ReputationRep:
    To everybody: It would be really great if you would check out my thread. Here is the link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1851642

ReputationRep:
    Overall, A-Levels are not as difficult as people claim. In terms of your potential, you should know by March and August results day. Some people are the "best" in lessons but do not achieve in exams.

ReputationRep:
    How does it get a lot harder in chemistry? More to remember of difficult to understand concepts?
    The volume of work increases masively, as in we'll finish the course one week before the exam

Plus there's lots of mechanisms which I hate, and difficult acid base questions.

The hardest thing about as chem was the Isa as you had to get over 90% to get an A

ReputationRep:
    For chemistry i would say unit2 as there are alot of different concepts you would need to understand fully as it will form your basis of understanding of a lot of topics covered in A2 as they will be developed from AS. A2 is not as hard since most of the topics will be relatively familiar. If your knowledge of AS is sound, then A2 shouldnt be that difficult for you tbh

ReputationRep:
    The volume of work increases masively, as in we'll finish the course one week before the exam

Plus there's lots of mechanisms which I hate, and difficult acid base questions.

The hardest thing about as chem was the Isa as you had to get over 90% to get an A
    Are you on OCR A? for the AS practical you need about 85% for an A

ReputationRep:
    Are you on OCR A? for the AS practical you need about 85% for an A
    AQA and you need 92% :eek:

ReputationRep:
    AQA and you need 92% :eek:
    Unlucky

ReputationRep:
    I scraped 48/60 ums ( an A) with 46/50 :afraid:

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.