Turn on thread page Beta

UK has expelled all Iranian diplomats watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15966628

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Mr Hague has done this. I assumed it would be to protect the staff in the embassy from retributive attacks. What will Iranian nationals in the UK do now, do they just not have an embassy now? How will this diffuse tensions in any way whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I don't understand why Mr Hague has done this. I assumed it would be to protect the staff in the embassy from retributive attacks. What will Iranian nationals in the UK do now, do they just not have an embassy now? How will this diffuse tensions in any way whatsoever?
    I think you misunderstand the role of embassies within countries somewhat.
    Whilst embassies do indeed support nationals of other countries living in the UK to some extent, they are populated with a pretty large number of intelligence personnel too (this is not just true of Iran, this is the case for a large number of UK, US and European embassies too). Thus a large part of their function is to gather foreign policy intelligence for their home nation from within other countries, in a semi-official manner.

I suspect the Foreign Secretary's actions are taken because he suspects the protesters who occupied the British embassy in Tehran were influenced or actively supported by the Iranian security services in retribution for the UK's sanctions against the Iranian financial sector. Therefore by expelling Iranian diplomats, he achieves retribution for this, whilst denying sanctioned Iranian intelligence on the UK, and whilst achieving further isolation of Iran from the international community at large.

To be perfectly honest, this was going to happen at some point anyway, with Iran on the verge of developing the first stages of a nuclear weapons capability, and increasing belligerency in terms of a subversive foreign policy (e.g. the recent plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the US).

As for Iranian nationals, they probably simply won't have an embassy, although I'd imagine embassies such as the Swiss embassy might be able to provide informal support, if Iran approaches them to do so.

ReputationRep:
    is this the pretext to a war with iran?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzman)
    I think you misunderstand the role of embassies within countries somewhat.
    Whilst embassies do indeed support nationals of other countries living in the UK to some extent, they are populated with a pretty large number of intelligence personnel too (this is not just true of Iran, this is the case for a large number of UK, US and European embassies too). Thus a large part of their function is to gather foreign policy intelligence for their home nation from within other countries, in a semi-official manner.

I suspect the Foreign Secretary's actions are taken because he suspects the protesters who occupied the British embassy in Tehran were influenced or actively supported by the Iranian security services in retribution for the UK's sanctions against the Iranian financial sector. Therefore by expelling Iranian diplomats, he achieves retribution for this, whilst denying sanctioned Iranian intelligence on the UK, and whilst achieving further isolation of Iran from the international community at large.

To be perfectly honest, this was going to happen at some point anyway, with Iran on the verge of developing the first stages of a nuclear weapons capability, and increasing belligerency in terms of a subversive foreign policy (e.g. the recent plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the US).

As for Iranian nationals, they probably simply won't have an embassy, although I'd imagine embassies such as the Swiss embassy might be able to provide informal support, if Iran approaches them to do so.
    Thank you for your explanation,

it just seems from a layman's perspective that any action we take will only be interpreted as provocative, I don't see how this situation can diffuse or lessen in anyway but get worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorila7)
    Not really, I sincerely doubt that we will go to war with Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Not really, I sincerely doubt that we will go to war with Iran.

why would we go to war with them? it'll be much easier to wait for them to nuke us.

ReputationRep:
    I hated when he said "This is a failure of the Iranian government and they should have protected these buildings" etc.. etc..

It's not like a bunch of students in this country protested and smashed some of our most important buildings :rolleyes: ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingme)
    why would we go to war with them? it'll be much easier to wait for them to nuke us.
    Iran doesn't even have a nuclear warhead, much less a reliable ICBM capable of hitting the UK or anything further into Europe than Greece.

We are not the world police. The only reason we should have an expeditionary military is to counter threats to our territories around the world (like the Falklands), threats to British shipping and trade (piracy), and hostile states threatening our allies in NATO and elsewhere. Unless Iran threatens a military ally such as Turkey or Greece with nuclear or conventional attack, then it's not our job to use the big stick that we should otherwise carry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I hated when he said "This is a failure of the Iranian government and they should have protected these buildings" etc.. etc..

It's not like a bunch of students in this country protested and smashed some of our most important buildings :rolleyes: ...
    They burned down a furniture store in Croydon. The rioters didn't even touch the Palace of Westminster, Downing Street, the Supreme Court, City Hall, Tower Bridge or any embassy in the capital. The students scrawled some graffiti on the doors of the Supreme Court and smashed some windows in the Treasury.

Hardly compares to an embassy being sacked now, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)

Yes, but we wouldn't allow riots to attack a forgien nations embassy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Iran doesn't even have a nuclear warhead, much less a reliable ICBM capable of hitting the UK or anything further into Europe than Greece.

We are not the world police. The only reason we should have an expeditionary military is to counter threats to our territories around the world (like the Falklands), threats to British shipping and trade (piracy), and hostile states threatening our allies in NATO and elsewhere. Unless Iran threatens a military ally such as Turkey or Greece with nuclear or conventional attack, then it's not our job to use the big stick that we should otherwise carry.

Maybe we should consider letting them hit Greece, might solve a fair few EU problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbadon27)
    Yes, but we wouldn't allow riots to attack a forgien nations embassy.
    Not to mention that the Iranian police find it a lot easier to stop protests if they choose to by, you know, killing people. Which is also not to mention the possibility (probability?) that these were far from spontaneous protests outside the control of the Iranian government.

One thing we need to bear in mind - Iran is not the UK or a free democracy. The way things happen here is not how things happen there and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Maybe we should consider letting them hit Greece, might solve a fair few EU problems
    Ironically, Greece is probably the number one reason why the EU won't go for oil sanctions tomorrow.

Greece relies heavily on iranian oil, if thats cut who knows what would happen.

[so i know its a joke, but iran wouldn't dare think of touching greece :P]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Most Iranian nationals loathe those ********s in the Embassy anyway, not least because they spy on us, and attack and kill those of us who use the freedom found in this country to raise awareness of what's going on in Iran.

If Hague hadn't had done this it really would have shown that the British Govt is totally spineless in that a gang of illiterate Basijis (IRR's equivalent of the Brownshirts) attacked the British Embassy in Tehran, the residential compound, looted it. The order for this attack came from the highest echelons of the regime's hierarchy, and what's more the Speaker of the regime's Parliament stubbornly carried on insisting that the Basijis were simply carrying out the public will. They weren't, this sort of hooliganism is totally against our culture and is the desperate reaction of this regime to the internal pressure Iranians have been putting on it, as well as external sanctions.

ReputationRep:
    What a dumb move. Iran's government wasn't at fault for the riot. Expelling diplomats will only serve to heighten the tension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    What a dumb move. Iran's government wasn't at fault for the riot. Expelling diplomats will only serve to heighten the tension.
    It wasn't a "riot", it was an attack by the regime's paramilitary forces.

ReputationRep:
    I believe so. They (US etc and the UK tag along like lap dogs) always create some 'false flag' scenario as a pretext for war. 9/11 & 7/7 (inside jobs), Pear Harbour, The Sinking of the Lusitania BLAH

ReputationRep:
    Probably a good move. They're probably lucky we don't send in the SAS to assassinate leaders if they think it's okay to attack our embassy. As Democracy said, I doubt many Iranians here will miss the embassy. Would've preferred it if some of the ****ers were ripped apart, sent to some National Front meeting etc but out is probably better than here causing trouble.

(Original post by BCUciaran)
    I believe so. They (US etc and the UK tag along like lap dogs) always create some 'false flag' scenario as a pretext for war. 9/11 & 7/7 (inside jobs), Pear Harbour, The Sinking of the Lusitania BLAH

7/7 was not used as an excuse for war. Cameron probably isn't going to go to war with Iran. Pearl Harbour wasn't really an excuse, they were perfectly in their rights to go to war with Japan screwing them about.

ReputationRep:
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand out come the whack job conspiracy theorists...

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.