Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop that can play newish games for under £450 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there folks . I'm asking my parents for a new laptop for Christmas, with the intention of playing games on it.

I'm not expecting to be able to run and play the newest games on full graphic settings, but I'd like to be able to comfortably run pretty new games smoothly.

The Total War series and GTA IV are my real priority, so the graphics card would have to be weighty enough to handle it.

I'm really not very good at getting the best value of money for this sort of thing, so could anyone point me in the right direction? Ta

ReputationRep:
    So far I'm looking at this one.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately your budget isn't really high enough, you're looking at a minimum of £500-£550 before you start seeing any current gen laptops with dedicated graphics. Is £450 as high as you are able to go? If so, I'd recommend asking for the money and saving the rest yourself towards a machine that will put out performance you're happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    It only has shared graphics, not really worth going for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    This will probably manage GTA IV, and Total War at low to medium settings, but will have difficulties with newer games (COD, Battlefield, and so on.)

EDIT: Mistook the model. This will not run anything at all, in a respectable framerate. Sorry.

You really need a higher budget. At least by about 200

ReputationRep:
    Ah bugger, alright - thanks guys.

Edit: Any chance of anyone sending me a link to anything in the £550 region capable of running said games at a mid level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    This will probably manage GTA IV, and Total War at low to medium settings, but will have difficulties with newer games (COD, Battlefield, and so on.)

EDIT: Mistook the model. This will not run anything at all, in a respectable framerate. Sorry.

You really need a higher budget. At least by about 200
    Which model were you thinking of?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 30, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.