Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically we had this discussion in my law lesson today about sexism and i said: 'practically every number 1 in the world at any profession OR sport is male', now i'm not saying over all, i'm saying the TOP person is male.

Can anybody suggest something that this isn't true of (and i don't want any bs like 'having babys'). I would also like to know why this can be construed as sexist if it is true?

ReputationRep:
    1. Men are born physically stronger, therefore use strength to their advantage and are more likely to make it to the top with their strength. This is also included in profession I suppose so another reason for this might be...
    2. When it comes to professions, women usually give up their jobs to look after the kids, as it is very hard to juggle both a job and family, so usually the men go out to work and don't really have as much family or household commitments so he can spend all his time working if he wants, and I think that's why most men get the top jobs as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    2. When it comes to professions, women usually give up their jobs to look after the kids, as it is very hard to juggle both a job and family, so usually the men go out to work and don't really have as much family or household commitments so he can spend all his time working if he wants, and I think that's why most men get the top jobs as well.
    ...despite girls constantly out performing guys in school/college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brian Wilson)
    ...despite girls constantly out performing guys in school/college.
    I said not as an average: so basically the number 1 in the subject they intend to carry on to university is more than likely to be male.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure but perhaps you might want to look at gymnasts? Women are more flexible, which would be an advantage! And i recon that the no 1 team of synchronised swimmers are female!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I said not as an average: so basically the number 1 in the subject they intend to carry on to university is more than likely to be male.
    OK firstly, it would be extremely hard to determind who exactly is the "number 1" person in a subject, so that would be a big problem, and secondly it may not be male.
    It also depends on which subjects you are talking about, so for example, the "number 1" person in Art and Design may not necessarily be a male, as a high percentage of girls take this subject to uni etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, something that crossed my mind as I was watching TV, anyone seen the show "America's Next TOP Model?"

Females.

ReputationRep:
    OK firstly, it would be extremely hard to determind who exactly is the "number 1" person in a subject, so that would be a big problem, and secondly it may not be male.
    It also depends on which subjects you are talking about, so for example, the "number 1" person in Art and Design may not necessarily be a male, as a high percentage of girls take this subject to uni etc.
    In most things there is always a person who is regarded as number one in it, perhaps the person with the widest used books, the highest pay packet, or just somebody who holds the record. I'm talking about subjects in general and i am led to believe that a very very large ammount of top dogs are male.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, something that crossed my mind as I was watching TV, anyone seen the show "America's Next TOP Model?"

Females.
    How could a man model a dress and make woman buy it, or win a competition that is females only :rolleyes:. Although as an open profession i would hazzard a guess that the highest paid model in the world would be female.

ReputationRep:
    In most things there is always a person who is regarded as number one in it, perhaps the person with the widest used books, the highest pay packet, or just somebody who holds the record. I'm talking about subjects in general and i am led to believe that a very very large ammount of top dogs are male.
    OK then. I think a lot of the reasons for these generalisations can be explained through many things, but I'm too tired to list them all at the moment.
    The reason for many men being highly paid has been said in my first post. I think that if women didn't have these commitments to their household and family, then they would be doing so much better in terms of getting better paid jobs and getting to the "top" in things that now they are not able to. Society puts a lot of pressure on women getting married, also to have children. When you call a woman a spinster, that has connotations of an old lady who can't get a husband. So women subconsciously see having a family and having a husband etc as a good thing, whereas bachelor has positive connotations and isn't seen as a negative thing. If only women were not to have this kind of pressure, then they would probably be able to become the best in many areas. You might argue that women have a choice, but it is a fact that women are pressurised by society to get a husband, let him provide for her and to look after the house and kids.

That's just my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    How could a man model a dress and make woman buy it, or win a competition that is females only :rolleyes:. Although as an open profession i would hazzard a guess that the highest paid model in the world would be female.
    Lol, I wasn't saying men should enter the America's next top model competition:laugh: I'm saying that the top male models are few and far between.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of women who are just as dedicated to their careers as men, yet men are still top, thousands of women give up having kids to continue their proffession.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of women who are just as dedicated to their careers as men, yet men are still top, thousands of women give up having kids to continue their proffession.
    Plenty of women do decide to not have kids, but this is the minority, and if you put practically all the males, compared with a few females (who decide to not have kids/ family) then obviously men are more likely to get the top jobs as there are more of them competing, as it were.

I also believe there is sexism in the world, so women will be given less opportunities to be given these top jobs.

Also, what makes someone "top" in their profession? It's very hard to say really, as not everybody who is the best gets published in the media for it either, so the information you are getting about top professions and people in "top places" are from a second hand source, which may also be biased.

ReputationRep:
    I was just going on highest payed for professions and world record holders in sport.

ReputationRep:
    I was just going on highest payed for professions and world record holders in sport.
    Men earn more generally because the majority of women stay home and take care of other things like I said, and I think that's the main reason why I think this is so. Some women may not have their priorities in becoming highly paid with lots of money, because this isn't as important to them as other things, whereas men generally like prestige and power in his profession and to make lots of money increases their status. Women can easily just marry a rich guy and increase her status that way, so some may not be so bothered on making loads of money because men are going to provide for them anyway, (this is some women, not all).

The sport thing was answered in post #2. Also, men and strength are just as important to each other as Christians and the Bible, in other words, men are going to be more ambitious when it comes to sport because strength is something that comes naturally to them and it's something that probably interests them as a hobby more than for women.

I'd say that women are generally better at dancing, if that counts.

ReputationRep:
    Men earn more generally because the majority of women stay home and take care of other things like I said...

The sport thing was answered in post #2. Also, men and strength are just as important to each other as Christians and the Bible, in other words, men are going to be more ambitious when it comes to sport...
    But both of those terms are speaking generally, are they not? Why are there very very few (I can't think of any) exceptions, I mean, there are millions of female athletes that are quicker/stronger than me, even though, biologically, males are meant to be stronger. Why not a woman stronger/quicker/anything else than the equivalent male, due to training, commitment, lucky genes etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeigh)
    But both of those terms are speaking generally, are they not? Why are there very very few (I can't think of any) exceptions, I mean, there are millions of female athletes that are quicker/stronger than me, even though, biologically, males are meant to be stronger. Why not a woman stronger/quicker/anything else than the equivalent male, due to training, commitment, lucky genes etc?
    I mean, there are millions of female athletes that are quicker/stronger than me,
    Are you an athlete?

There could be other factors also, but why do you think this is the case?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of women do decide to not have kids, but this is the minority, and if you put practically all the males, compared with a few females (who decide to not have kids/ family) then obviously men are more likely to get the top jobs as there are more of them competing, as it were.
    Most of the people who excel at things do so when they're young. While there are a good number of exceptions, I believe that negates your argument in at least a few fields.

ReputationRep:
    Are you an athlete?

There could be other factors also, but why do you think this is the case?
    I'm not no, maybe it was a bad example.
    All I was trying to say is just because in general men are more cut out to be good at athletics, just like there is variance toward the worse end of the scale; some men suck at it, why has there never been enough variance in the other direction, allowing a woman to beat a man at something like that? (Maybe there is, but I don't know of any, that's all)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.