The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Give up my seat?! NOOO! :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saranghea
Some girls think that because they have they period pains under control easily enough, every female on the planet should be able to do the same no problem. It's like the pain level is universal for all girls!

I know! Or they think that because they don't suffer too badly, the girls that do are either just being weaker or are just whiny.

In regards to one of your previous posts, I went on the pill recently, and so far (touch wood) it's been so much better! Seriously, I had my first one last month and all I had was some tiny, mild cramps the first day, it literally seems too good to be true.

I strongly suggest it. :yep:
Reply 101
This happens to me, they just expect young people to be healthy but I get travel sick so I find it difficult to stand up on buses without feeling really nauseous and I'm like I pay 560 pound for a bus pass yours is free!!! why get on the bus when they know its gonna be chocka!!
While I appreciate that you were very ill to the point you went to hospital, for all you know, the elderly woman could have had severe athritis or other, just as serious, illnesses, and generally the elderly don't tend to handle their illness (or even simple movements for that matter) as well as younger people.
Original post by EffieFlowers
Female misogyny, ahh how contemporary!

There is a difference between whining like a baby and expressing some suffering you know. Why can't a person say that they feel ill/ have felt ill during a certain point without being called whiny?

Misogyny is always directed at females...
Reply 104
Original post by Muffinz
Can you overdose on iron supplements? I've always been encouraged to continue with medication even if you're ill... in my case it's insulin but it's kind of similar to the iron supplements in that I need it every day. You shouldn't worry about your cold affecting your health so drastically and keep taking the iron.

Good for you! :smile: It'll be the best thing you've done, trust me! Also, if the first pill doesn't fit, ask for a different variety - the first pill I took didn't work well with my body and made me completely lose my appetite (REALLY bad since I'm t1 diabetic) but I went back to the doctor and got a different type which is flawless. Best of luck and hope you feel better!

I meant taking the ferrous tablets(3x a day), codeine, nurefen,...too much!!!

Yeah, people say such discouraging things about the pill and I like that I'm regular so I know when to expect the pain but if it screws up my cycle and I get pains randomly then I would rather not :s-smilie: I'll talk to my GP :biggrin:
Well i have this dilemma on the way back from fieldcraft with cadets even if ive spent the whole weekend living in a ditch and im nearly dead. Just because im in uniform people expect me to leap up and give anyone my seat :L I would look like a dick if i let the elderly stand :frown:
Reply 106
No it's not actually.

I've nearly fainted many times whilst 'on' and have been sick. Just because you may not suffer doesn't mean you can't put yourself in other peoples shoes and see that they may suffer worse than you.

I totally understand your suffering, most of my mates think I'm a wimp but I get this every month and it usually lasts for one week or more, try asking your doctor about Mefenamic acid it stops the pain becuase it stops the chemical being released that causes most cramps (its the same chemical that is released in labour) it really helps :biggrin: xx
I will generally, if they genuinely look like they need a seat, but it really annoys me when they glare at you because you're closer to the front, yet there's seats behind you, because they expect to be able to sit there and not walk an extra 2 feet (not in the reserved bit), and also it really annoys me that they get on the absolutely chocka college bus (which on a morning can get 100 people on it) and complain that they can't get through the people that are stood up...umm, that bus is like that every single day, there is one half an hour later that gets about 2 people on it...get on that one! /rant
Reply 108
Original post by The Cornerstone
While I appreciate that you were very ill to the point you went to hospital, for all you know, the elderly woman could have had severe athritis or other, just as serious, illnesses, and generally the elderly don't tend to handle their illness (or even simple movements for that matter) as well as younger people.

That is very true, and I did think about that but the annoying thing is that non-elderly people were giving me "the look" What if I had fainted? I know this sounds selfish because thinking about it, if something happened to me, chances are I would recover quicker than if something happened to them. Oh I don't know! Maybe should've stood up :frown: I just want to be free to make my own decisions!!!
Now I am seriously ill today, I'm in bed as we speak. I felt like I was going to faint on that bus!

What are you doing on the bus if you're "seriously ill"?

1 : For the reason of your own health.

2 : If what you've got is contagious - for the health of the other people on the bus.
Reply 110
I meant taking the ferrous tablets(3x a day), codeine, nurefen,...too much!!!

Yeah, people say such discouraging things about the pill and I like that I'm regular so I know when to expect the pain but if it screws up my cycle and I get pains randomly then I would rather not :s-smilie: I'll talk to my GP :biggrin:

If you take the pill correctly it will occur on the same day every month and you won't have to worry about it. Ironically old people will generally be on a hugh cocktail of medication so 5 pills shouldn't bother you :P I'm on metformin, the pill, my two insulins and then painkillers if need be...
Original post by Muffinz
Because it's a period, it's something every woman goes through, it's something that's predictable and can be controlled or dampened. We have the medication, the facilities and everything else - why don't people explore the options available? It just seems ridiculous to me. People who have chronic disabilities don't whine about their illnesses all the time, you know.

It's only misogyny because only women have vaginas. Seriously, it's not even worth mentioning, it just makes you look petty and vindictive. Seriously, I will tote female rights stuff all day long but when it comes to ladies stooping to their gender expectations of being weak like this I will tell them to grow up.

Until I went on the pill I used to spend the first couple of days of my period with my head in the toilet because they made me so sick. People are different and therefore experience things differently (shocking I know).

I know what you mean though OP. During the summer I came off a horse and really hurt my leg - I could walk, just not very far. I used to get the bus for the 5-10min walk up to uni and even though I stood on the bus (I was fine standing) when it was crowded I did get one or two comments about how I should have walked! There's something about buses that makes people even more irritable. Just ignore it or make up some REALLY embarrassing medical condition that'll shut them up :P
If you're ill then fair enough, you don't need to give your seat up.

There's been many occasions where people who are perfectly able to stand haven't had the decency to give their seat for an elderly person which does get on my nerves, though.
Reply 113
I know! Or they think that because they don't suffer too badly, the girls that do are either just being weaker or are just whiny.

In regards to one of your previous posts, I went on the pill recently, and so far (touch wood) it's been so much better! Seriously, I had my first one last month and all I had was some tiny, mild cramps the first day, it literally seems too good to be true.

I strongly suggest it. :yep:

Seriously, mine is an actual nightmare! Empathy girls!! We're not all as lucky :s-smilie: But thanks, I will definatly talk to my GP!

I wish I could rep but I'm all out :frown:
Reply 114
Original post by Lil Piranha
Until I went on the pill I used to spend the first couple of days of my period with my head in the toilet because they made me so sick. People are different and therefore experience things differently (shocking I know).

Then OP should go on the pill - problem solved!
I don't ever give up my seat for strangers.

It's my seat, I got there first. Deal with it.
Original post by H.JJJ
See, this is what gets me. There are no rules saying the young or fit have to do this. It is purely an act of being polite. You don't have to give up your seat. Granted, it might look bad in the eyes of others, but people EXPECTING this kind of treatment need to really look at the situation.

I think you may have misunderstood there. I didn't meant legal rule. I mean a norm, a conformity which nearly all people agree with, apart from people making a point for the sake of it.
Also, what's wrong with people being polite? Why shouldn't people expect you to be polite?
I give up my seat normally. They have priority in a certain number of seats. Not the whole bloody bus. I said it was 30 minutes (that's how long it takes from the hospital to my house). Do you live in london? This is not a strange phenomenon to be on the bus for that long as there's traffic? Were you on the bus with me? You sound just like the judgmental people I'm talking about.

Not in the original post -.-

You seem well enough to work a laptop, journey to the hospital without the need of an ambulance, so I think you're well enough to stand up. If you think the elderly on the bus were fitter than you then fine, whatever. Like I said, I'm not going to argue about why you should be courteous, and as far as buses where I live are concerned, priority applies to any seat on the bus, even if it doesn't say that on a sticker on the wall of the bus. And no, I wasn't on the bus with you, you might have well been near death, but you don't sound like it. This is how internet forums work, if you wanted the opinions of the people on the bus then you shouldn't be asking people here :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know how you feel, OP. I have a disability bus pass, and everytime I use it I get disapproving looks from the elderly. I know you had to wait years to earn yours but there is a reason I need it!
I have to sit down on public transport (or I fall down) and trying to explain this to people is something I, quite frankly, cba doing everytime I get on a bus and get glared at for sitting down.
People shouldn't be so judgemental over what they 'expect' a disabled person to look like! And they shouldn't expect, just because you're young, that you're invincible!!

/rant :tongue:
Reply 119
Original post by frankieboy
What are you doing on the bus if you're "seriously ill"?

1 : For the reason of your own health.

2 : If what you've got is contagious - for the health of the other people on the bus.

I had to go home and the train leads to too much walking! My cold is at the stage where you can tell I have a cold which means I'm less contagious apparently. Also my illness is a mixture of cold/pms/aneamia which makes it really unbearable to stand!

Latest

Trending

Trending