Turn on thread page Beta

Internet Dating watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with using the internet to find someone, you're still two people on each end anyway, It's no different to finding and talking to people in "Real Life" You're just communicating in a different way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpott)
    There's nothing wrong with using the internet to find someone, you're still two people on each end anyway, It's no different to finding and talking to people in "Real Life" You're just communicating in a different way!
    I suppose though it really comes down to the fact that you can lie over the Internet. You have no real proof that the person on the other end is who they say they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So if I'm going out and meeting people at uni, and at the same time am on one of these sites (not too sure how they work) then I'm just upping my chances..??
    I wouldn't personnally advise going on a dating site, which is what I assume you mean. Join forums on things that interest you perhaps... then you'll have something in common with the people you're talking to.

My ideal advice in this situatin is, however, if you find a guy you like, see if he has msn or another IM and get to know him on there. You have more time to think of replies to questions / questions to ask, and I think it's alot easier to talk on there.

But that's just my 2 cents

ReputationRep:
    during the breif time i was single when i split from my boyf i got desperate and starting raiding the net in hope of finding a guy. but to be honest meh, its nothing like knowing someone IRL (my personal opinion). And was very glad to be back with my bf. Yes it works for some, but i can't help thinking that its not the best way to meet people (have had 2 nasty experience with people i did meet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I suppose though it really comes down to the fact that you can lie over the Internet. You have no real proof that the person on the other end is who they say they are.
    i'll second that view wholeheartedly

ReputationRep:
    It's understandable that many people's initial reaction is 'oh but people can lie on the internet'.
    They can.
    BUT there are a great deal of honest people out there too.
    When my boyfriend and I got together he was desperate to prove to me and my parents that he was the latter. In order to do this, he wrote to my parents from his university residence, making it clear where he was writing from, and enclosing not just his contact details but also those of his parents, saying that if they wanted to telephone his parents to see if his story checked out, then they could. What's more, he wasn't a minor at this time, obliged to let his parents know his every movements: he was 24 at the time. My parents didn't feel the need to check his story out, and luckily it's been a happy ending.
    I'd say just exercise caution and common sense, and avoid dating sites but join fora on sites that interest you, as you're more likely to find someone with a common interest.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i met my bf online and we were mates for 3 months and then we started going out,we've been together for more than a year now...and we're still very happy.so internet dating does work.

I think the thing is...I would be looking for someone who is nearby. I don't want a virtual relationship in that sense. It's just in the clubs/socs that I go to there arent any single nice males..and im not about to give up hobbies i enjoy and I don't have time to take more on... I've met most of the people that are on tsr that do my course /live with me or near me...thing is I'm just not meeting any decent males.
    I meet lots of attrictive guys on nights out but as I said before you can tell they only want one thing, the nice ones all have gfs....you know the story. I don't have a problem talking to them just ...I don't know really..never works out...

ReputationRep:
    Internet dating has it's advantages & disadvantages. Yes, it is risky but then again so is taking a chance on a stranger you meet in a pub/club. You don't know who they are either!! The internet gives you the opportunity to pick & chose characteristics you prefer in a man/woman whereas it is harder to do this in 'real life'. Of course there is the danger of the other person being a perverted old person but if you are careful & make sure you take out all the necessary steps to make sure this person is as genuine as possible, then I don't see the harm in it.

ReputationRep:
    real is real....virtual is virtual....i'm sure there's a guy who you just can't find but he's there alright.there was this article abt this real life novel written by this girl who started experimenting with different people in a good way u know....try finding that book...u never know!

ReputationRep:
    The problem with the internet is that many people are different online and offline. One documentary showed a person being 7 different people online, because online he's capable of creating different personas in reactions, messages, whereas in real life, the instant reaction doesn't allow such fabrication. It may not even be intentional, but subconscious.

Reality does not equate to virtuality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2006
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.