The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Applying to do PGCE at Brunel?

Hi, just wondering if there is anyone else out there applying to Brunel University to do a Primary PGCE?

I have an interview on 15th December! does anyone else? x
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shell!

Original post by Shell!
Hi, just wondering if there is anyone else out there applying to Brunel University to do a Primary PGCE?

I have an interview on 15th December! does anyone else? x

Hey r u reading anything on educational issues related to primary education? Good luck with your interview...
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rose.151786
Hey r u reading anything on educational issues related to primary education? Good luck with your interview...

Heya, are you applying to do Primary at Brunel aswell?

I'm reading up as much as I can on educational issues, I get the TES every wednesday and have a read, but also looking at overall issues in education, things like behaviour management, assesments and planning.

Its hard to know what they are going to ask!? :s-smilie:

and thankyou, i hope it will go okay!

x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi Shell!

I've got my interview on 15th December too, at 9:30am...I'm so scared!

I'm not too worried about talking about my own personal qualities but I have no idea where to start when it comes to reading up on current educational issues etc! Also pretty nervous about the maths test!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Hiya Aimes!

Ah i'm glad someone else has an interview at Brunel was starting to think there wasnt many of us! Mines at 9:30 am aswell and its getting close now, scary!

I know what you mean about the maths test, just a bit worried about that one and have no idea what they are going to ask about educational issues!? What sort of issues have you been researching?

Anyways, hope your interview goes well too and good luck!
Reply 5
Hey Shell!

Urm...haven't done loads of research yet to be honest! I work full time and am struggling to find time, which is why I'm worried now it's only a week away!

I found some interesting articles about the education minister's response to recent Ofsted reports and have also been reading up on different teaching styles and assessment techniques as I saw a sample question that someone was asked about their opinion on tests?! Someone said to know the National Curriculum but I'm not sure in how much detail?! I don't get the TES delivered or anything so relying on online sources! How about you? Found anything interesting?!

I suppose it's important to remember that we're not expected to know everything...that's why we want to get on the course to learn! x
Reply 6
Heya

Yeah, im finding it difficult to find the time to research educational issues aswell as working and sorting everything out for coming up to London tomorrow!

But ive been reading the TES magazine and keeping an eye out for other stuff on the news so im hoping itll be okay, their not going to expect us to know everything!

Just the maths test im worried about now!

Anyways i may see you on thursday! hope your well and see you then!
x
Reply 7
Original post by Shell!

Original post by Shell!
Heya, are you applying to do Primary at Brunel aswell?

I'm reading up as much as I can on educational issues, I get the TES every wednesday and have a read, but also looking at overall issues in education, things like behaviour management, assesments and planning.

Its hard to know what they are going to ask!? :s-smilie:

and thankyou, i hope it will go okay!

x

Hey, was wondering how the whole process of your interview went? Hope it was fine...

Well, Brunel will be my next choice...

So, what did they ask you and how was your presentation if you had one?
Reply 8
Hey!

There was a maths and English test which was pretty informal but I know I screwed up on some of the maths questions so I'm praying they won't count too much and they'll take everything else into consideration too!

We had a group interview where we talked about our experiences of teachers, behaviour, differentiation etc. We didn't have an individual interview but I wish we did!

Shell...how do you think it went? I'm feeling really unconfident :frown: Good luck!!! x
Reply 9
Im not sure how it went either! I'm feeling a bit unconfident about it too! The maths wasnt rediculously hard, the english part wasnt too bad. But i felt very rushed to finish it! The group interview i thought was such a bad idea...it wasnt like a group discussion at all just 4 other people watching you trying to answer questions!

Im hoping the same though, that they will focus more on my experience that i have in the classroom and hopefully the good things i said in the interview if there was any!

just the long wait now....it was january time (within about three weeks wasnt it?) she said we would hear back

hope youre okay! x
Reply 10
Original post by rose.151786

Original post by Aimes236
Hi Shell!

I've got my interview on 15th December too, at 9:30am...I'm so scared!

I'm not too worried about talking about my own personal qualities but I have no idea where to start when it comes to reading up on current educational issues etc! Also pretty nervous about the maths test!

Good luck :smile:

Heya, well done Aimes on getting a place too! Rose how did you do?
Have you two got facebook? x
Reply 11
hello, i have my pgce interview on 12th jan and im really nervous..like most...can you please guide me as to what to expect on the d day also i have no knowledge about educational issues or national curriculum...HELP!!:frown:
Original post by lost-one

Original post by lost-one
hello, i have my pgce interview on 12th jan and im really nervous..like most...can you please guide me as to what to expect on the d day also i have no knowledge about educational issues or national curriculum...HELP!!:frown:

Hi,
Read Tes, search on the internet for educational issues.
If you do not have any knowledge, at all, about the national curriculum then google it to know about the basic structure, key stages & related news. This link might be of little help...

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/curriculum

All the best.
Reply 13
Have you got much classroom experience? I'd say draw on that alot as examples for things like behaviour management and different levels of abilties as they'll ask you about them.

You'll be asked to mark a peice of work written by a child, and give some ways in which you could help them to improve.

You'll also be asked to write a page about an educational issue, you can choose something from the list they give you or write on a topic of your own choice.

Finally, dont worry too much about it, have some examples in your head from your classroom experience and you will be fine!

and good luck! x
Reply 14
Original post by Aimes236
Hey!

There was a maths and English test which was pretty informal but I know I screwed up on some of the maths questions so I'm praying they won't count too much and they'll take everything else into consideration too!

We had a group interview where we talked about our experiences of teachers, behaviour, differentiation etc. We didn't have an individual interview but I wish we did!

Shell...how do you think it went? I'm feeling really unconfident :frown: Good luck!!! x

Join the facebook page ive made! if you like x
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brunel-Primary-PGCE-2012-2013/314166228628621#!/pages/Brunel-Primary-PGCE-2012-2013/314166228628621?sk=info
Reply 15
Hi there everyone,

I just wondered when you lot got replies back to come for interview for the pgce primary at brunel. I sent off my application end of Nov 2011, and still awaiting a reply. I work full time in a private company and do not have much experience (just 3weeks as a TA)...

Pls can someone let me know

Thanks
E
Reply 16
Also my degree is in Business do you think that would matter as its not a National Curriculum subject. Just worried i may not get a place
Reply 17
Original post by earum
Hi there everyone,

I just wondered when you lot got replies back to come for interview for the pgce primary at brunel. I sent off my application end of Nov 2011, and still awaiting a reply. I work full time in a private company and do not have much experience (just 3weeks as a TA)...

Pls can someone let me know

Thanks
E

Hiya,

I sent off my application at the end of october 2011 and found out i had an interview by the end of november, so give them a bit of time and its likely you'll hear some point this month if not a little later, maybe febuary as they have been closed for most of december over christmas.

Three weeks as a TA is better than nothing, there were some at my interview who hadnt even been into a school.

And as for your degree i wouldnt worry about it not being a curriculum subject, I studied a degree in Sociology and Social Science, which isnt a curriculum subject either and have got a place.

Good luck, and just give them a little bit of time to get back to you, hope you get an interview! x
Reply 18
Hi,
I have my PGCE interview next week at Brunel. I am wondering were the Maths tests on paper or on a computer? I have been doing the online ones of the TDA website and the mental arithmetic questions only allow you 18 seconds to answer! Any help would be great. Thanks :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Amelia-G
Hi,
I have my PGCE interview next week at Brunel. I am wondering were the Maths tests on paper or on a computer? I have been doing the online ones of the TDA website and the mental arithmetic questions only allow you 18 seconds to answer! Any help would be great. Thanks :smile:

Hiya,

the maths test is on paper, so you have pleanty of time to answer them! They'll take some of you out to do the group interview and leave you to do the test and then come in and ask for some more people x

Quick Reply