Turn on thread page Beta

Users of the Canon 600D or Nikon D5100, come forth! watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you own either (or even both) of these cameras?
    What do you like about it, and why?

I understand that by asking people to say which one they prefer is like asking "is your favourite colour red or blue?", so I thought I'd instead ask people that own one what it is that you really like about it? I'm going to be buying one or the other, so I'm keen to know people's thoughts.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer on either but what I can tell you is that you need to get a feel for both (head to Jessops maybe?).

Spend a while looking at each, seeing how it fits in your hands as it is quite possible that you may find one too bulky, fiddly or flimsy in build quality. Its all well and good having an expensive DSLR with all the bells & whistles, but if you can't get used to holding it comfortably then you've wasted your money a bit I think.

I'm a Canon user myself. However, I made a decision on choosing a Canon based on the price of the camera-not because I was unhappy with the Nikon equivalent of the camera that I have. Having said that I am extremely happy with my camera.

Take a look at this as well: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D5100

Snapsort declares the D5100 as the winner but the important thing is that you look at that and decide what things are important to you when choosing a camera.

ReputationRep:
    Canon>Nikon
    That is all.

Actually it's not, but have a play with both cameras (and maybe consider some used higher spec cameras too!).

ReputationRep:
    Interested in hearing from a Canon 550D owner? It's basically the same as the 600D, just without the articulating screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Interested in hearing from a Canon 550D owner? It's basically the same as the 600D, just without the articulating screen.
    Absolutely! I know that the differences are quite small so your input would be greatly appreciated. I understand the general gist is that a 600D would satisfy someone buying their first Canon, but wouldn't satisfy someone who has a 550D. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

(Original post by aviatordom)
    I can't answer on either but what I can tell you is that you need to get a feel for both (head to Jessops maybe?).

Spend a while looking at each, seeing how it fits in your hands as it is quite possible that you may find one too bulky, fiddly or flimsy in build quality. Its all well and good having an expensive DSLR with all the bells & whistles, but if you can't get used to holding it comfortably then you've wasted your money a bit I think.

I'm a Canon user myself. However, I made a decision on choosing a Canon based on the price of the camera-not because I was unhappy with the Nikon equivalent of the camera that I have. Having said that I am extremely happy with my camera.

Take a look at this as well: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D5100

Snapsort declares the D5100 as the winner but the important thing is that you look at that and decide what things are important to you when choosing a camera.

Aye. Something I've heard quite frequently is that the grip on the Nikon isn't quite as good as that of a Canon, but once again it is purely a matter of personal preference. Thanks for the Snapsort link, I've had a look on there before but i was questioning of its apparent bias towards Nikon! Which Canon do you have? Thanks for your response.

(Original post by R. Murray)
    Canon>Nikon
    That is all.

Actually it's not, but have a play with both cameras (and maybe consider some used higher spec cameras too!).
    Haha, thanks Mr Murray, had a feeling you might have said something like this! I've seen some of your work (which I presume is on a Canon) and I've enjoyed it, so I guess it's a vote for the Canon column. Thanks for your advice though.

ReputationRep:
    Well choosing between Canon and Nikon there's little in it, the lens choice is great for both, I just happened to prefer the handling of the Canon and subsequently upgraded to a body which gives great performance and takes the lenses I picked up with my first body! I remember for ages though the reviewers were slating the Canon XXXD's grip as it was too small or something. To my mind if it's good to use you should probably go for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)

Aye. Something I've heard quite frequently is that the grip on the Nikon isn't quite as good as that of a Canon, but once again it is purely a matter of personal preference. Thanks for the Snapsort link, I've had a look on there before but i was questioning of its apparent bias towards Nikon! Which Canon do you have? Thanks for your response.
    I have a Canon EOS 1000D; which compared to the 600D and 5100 is an entry level DSLR; but it suits me fine as i'm a novice at photography!

ReputationRep:
    Canon 50D shooter here. The main issue you'll have is that Canon's and Nikon's user interfaces are fundamentally different, so if you have a lot of shooting time on one make of camera you'll be utterly useless on the other. If you shoot with both equally you can just about keep up. I find Nikons nigh on impossible to navigate. To change the review display, for example (to show a histogram, or shooting data, or just a plan review) you have to press the down button. Nikon even have an 'Info' button, but no, that's not related in any way. Canon just use a 'Disp' button, which is nice, because folks can kinda relate to that, you know? I also despise the fact that on the entry level Nikons (D3100, D5100 I think?) You have to go into the menus to change your ISO. Even on the most basic Canon you can get (1000D) you get a dedicated ISO button on the back of the camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Canon 50D shooter here. The main issue you'll have is that Canon's and Nikon's user interfaces are fundamentally different, so if you have a lot of shooting time on one make of camera you'll be utterly useless on the other. If you shoot with both equally you can just about keep up. I find Nikons nigh on impossible to navigate. To change the review display, for example (to show a histogram, or shooting data, or just a plan review) you have to press the down button. Nikon even have an 'Info' button, but no, that's not related in any way. Canon just use a 'Disp' button, which is nice, because folks can kinda relate to that, you know? I also despise the fact that on the entry level Nikons (D3100, D5100 I think?) You have to go into the menus to change your ISO. Even on the most basic Canon you can get (1000D) you get a dedicated ISO button on the back of the camera.
    This has pretty much sold it for me. I own a Lumix at the moment and it's incredibly sensible in its navigation. Nikons sound too much like they are being different for the sake of being different. Thank you very much Nuffles!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    This has pretty much sold it for me. I own a Lumix at the moment and it's incredibly sensible in its navigation. Nikons sound too much like they are being different for the sake of being different. Thank you very much Nuffles!
    I will point out that my opinion is a result of what I stated at the beginning of my post. I know that Nikon users struggle to use my camera too. I simply stated some of the things I believe are totally illogical about Nikon, even from a non-photographer point of view. I've heard it said on here a lot of times from Nikon users that they had to 'ask the shop assistant where the shutter button was'. Personally I think Nikon users are just a little too 'simple' to look for a black button rather than the shiny silver one they get on Nikons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I will point out that my opinion is a result of what I stated at the beginning of my post. I know that Nikon users struggle to use my camera too. I simply stated some of the things I believe are totally illogical about Nikon, even from a non-photographer point of view. I've heard it said on here a lot of times from Nikon users that they had to 'ask the shop assistant where the shutter button was'. Personally I think Nikon users are just a little too 'simple' to look for a black button rather than the shiny silver one they get on Nikons
    Haha, this is completely true! When I was looking for a camera, I tried a Canon and literally couldn't find the shutter, just didn't feel comfortable for me. The Nikon worked perfectly however. Now if only Nikon could add AF motors to all their cameras....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmuxel)
    Haha, this is completely true! When I was looking for a camera, I tried a Canon and literally couldn't find the shutter, just didn't feel comfortable for me. The Nikon worked perfectly however. Now if only Nikon could add AF motors to all their cameras....
    My other massive issue with Nikon. They love to go on about how they've used the same mount for yonks yet you can't use a massive proportion of the lenses available in Nikon mount on their low-end cameras :confused:

I find the Nikon shutter too flat and high up. With the Canon shutter it feels like I'm squeezing the grip, rather than simply pressing down. It feels more controlled. Horses for courses.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 2, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.