Turn on thread page Beta

What do YOU think happens to the 275,000 people who go missing yearly? watch

ReputationRep:
    different people, different circumstances, but I'm curious as to what all of you think happens (happened) Where do you think these people disappear to??

I think that some people CAN vanish all by themselves. For whatever reason. Money, marital, law problems.....and some are never found. But the people who seem to just vanish off the face of the earth??

275,000 people go missing every year and 100,000 of them are children. That statistic shocked me...really. we know the face of one famous little girl who went missing years ago but there are so many ignored.

What do you think happened to these people ?

ReputationRep:
    Claudia Lawrence, her face is plastered all around where I live. Or was, the campaign has died down a little.

ReputationRep:
    Some start new lives and live comfortably others end up on the street, some get pulled into drugs and prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    Human trafficing, starting a new life and murder.

In that order.

ReputationRep:
    Is that permanently missing or do people return? The majority of missing people are found fairly quickly.
    And we might never know.

ReputationRep:
    Aliens.

ReputationRep:
    Hogwarts happens.

ReputationRep:
    They're just hiding in the attic

ReputationRep:
    Some of them die, some get dragged into drug trafficking etc

Unfortunate though

ReputationRep:
    that's so sad, such a big number.
    I think maybe due to murder,drugs,relationship problems :/

ReputationRep:
    Blatantly aliens.

I jest. Probably murder, or ending up homeless/addicted to drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps some run away and try to make new lives for themselves, others may have been killed, ended up on the streets, perhaps been abducted...

We may never know unfortunately, it's quite sad really.

ReputationRep:
    1. Run away from Crime
    2. Get into crime
    3. End up in a prison, immigration detention centre or mental health facility somewhere
    4. Victim of murder or some other thing RE: Dying
    5. Prostitution and trafficking
    6. Run away from problems
    7. Insurance Scam
    8. Run away from life and set up shop somewhere else and have fun
    9. Commit suicide

a load of things can happen OP :dontknow:

All we can do is pray/hope that they are all fine

ReputationRep:
    Coben's Logic: Person A goes missing. Person B looks for person A but cant find them. Therefore none of the other 6 billion people on the planet know of person A's existence. Person A has clearly evaporated.

ReputationRep:
    They're abducted by anti-government agents in the pursuit of making a rebel army to March on London in the next few years and reform the country. They want to follow the teachings of the late great Sharon Stone.

ReputationRep:
    More interestingly is if you disappeared do you think anyone would care. I know no one would care about me. One day I'm gonna deliberately disappear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    Coben's Logic: Person A goes missing. Person B looks for person A but cant find them. Therefore none of the other 6 billion people on the planet know of person A's existence. Person A has clearly evaporated.
    LOL, don't get started on me Computerised , I'm genuinely baffled. And yes if I went missing my family and friends would freak out!

ReputationRep:
    They're very good at Hide and Seek?
    I'd guess less than 10% have had something bad happen to them i.e. death or serious injury. A lot of people, for various reasons, just don't want to be found.

ReputationRep:
    raped/tortured then murdered
    disappear to start a new life for what ever reason
    human trafficking

...though I watched the 4400 so maybe it's that on a larger scale?

ReputationRep:
    Vast majority are found which would suggest the main thing is they wanted to lead a alternative lifestyle. Then it goes like:

- Homeless
    - Kidnapped e.g. human trafficking
    - Dead

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.