The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

The applicants day was great, especially the awesome buffet lunch I had.

Met some lovely people too who I hope to see again in September.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by LiamNimrod
Got an offer for Music. Just need to get my grade 8, which shouldn't be difficult at all. =]

I'm not doing Music, but I've got my grade 8 flute on Friday...... Hahahahahahahahaha crapping myself.
What do you play? :smile:
Human Biology anyone??
I put Hull as my firm yesterday. I have an offer to study music :smile:
Original post by DoubleNegative
I'm not doing Music, but I've got my grade 8 flute on Friday...... Hahahahahahahahaha crapping myself.
What do you play? :smile:

How was your Grade 8 Flute yesterday? Good I hope.
Do you have an offer for 2012? Also, I play Piano. :smile:
How was your Grade 8 Flute yesterday? Good I hope.
Do you have an offer for 2012? Also, I play Piano. :smile:

Yeah, not bad. Didn't get any of my scales straight off, but no massive mistakes. He was really nice actually. :smile: When's yours? Good on you for getting to grade 8! I could never do grade 8 piano, I struggled with 5. XD Good luck for whenever it is. ^_^
Yeah, I do. Psychology - 280 points. Firmed it already, I'm so excited. :biggrin:
Yeah, not bad. Didn't get any of my scales straight off, but no massive mistakes. He was really nice actually. :smile: When's yours? Good on you for getting to grade 8! I could never do grade 8 piano, I struggled with 5. XD Good luck for whenever it is. ^_^
Yeah, I do. Psychology - 280 points. Firmed it already, I'm so excited. :biggrin:

Well done! I think having a nice examiner makes all the difference because It feels as if they want to bring out the best in you. Certainly makes me calmer. Thanks, without sounding arrogant I should be fine for my grade 8. I only really needed to do the exam for the University, otherwise I wouldn't really have put in for it. Hopefully nothing goes wrong though. It's in June.

Just out of curiosity, where will you be staying? I'm probably going to be in Thwaite hall due to the music practice rooms and steinway grand.
If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask me! I'm a 1st year Criminology and Forensic Science student, so if you have any questions about the Chemistry department/Social science department, or anything to do with uni in general, then don't hesitate to ask. Hull uni is amazing! We are Hull! :smile:
Original post by Féileacán
If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask me! I'm a 1st year Criminology and Forensic Science student, so if you have any questions about the Chemistry department/Social science department, or anything to do with uni in general, then don't hesitate to ask. Hull uni is amazing! We are Hull! :smile:

What Hall are you staying in? :smile:
Well done! I think having a nice examiner makes all the difference because It feels as if they want to bring out the best in you. Certainly makes me calmer. Thanks, without sounding arrogant I should be fine for my grade 8. I only really needed to do the exam for the University, otherwise I wouldn't really have put in for it. Hopefully nothing goes wrong though. It's in June.

Just out of curiosity, where will you be staying? I'm probably going to be in Thwaite hall due to the music practice rooms and steinway grand.

Yeah, that's true. But I was a bit apprehensive to be honest. All of my nice examiners marked me harshly, and the mean ones marked me really nicely. XD
Don't worry about it, I was the same. Nervous as hell but still confident. I hope it goes well all the same. :smile:
Thwaite has a Steinway?? I might have to reconsider now lol, but my favourite is the Lawns. It would be great to have practice rooms mind, I need to keep up my flute practice. I might invade your halls every now and again. :P
Yeah, that's true. But I was a bit apprehensive to be honest. All of my nice examiners marked me harshly, and the mean ones marked me really nicely. XD
Don't worry about it, I was the same. Nervous as hell but still confident. I hope it goes well all the same. :smile:
Thwaite has a Steinway?? I might have to reconsider now lol, but my favourite is the Lawns. It would be great to have practice rooms mind, I need to keep up my flute practice. I might invade your halls every now and again. :P

You're right about examiners actually. I've found a lot of strict examiners have marked me quite generously. And yeah that has definitely been my way. Nervous but confident.

Yes, Thwaite hall has a large music room with s Steinway grand piano. That is the main reason I want to go there. The students told me about the grand and it is listed in the accommodation booklet i found. I can't actually find pictures of Thwaite's music room, though!!!

Here is a good link http://www2.hull.ac.uk/Student/hullaccommodation/thwaitehall.aspx
You're right about examiners actually. I've found a lot of strict examiners have marked me quite generously. And yeah that has definitely been my way. Nervous but confident.

Yes, Thwaite hall has a large music room with s Steinway grand piano. That is the main reason I want to go there. The students told me about the grand and it is listed in the accommodation booklet i found. I can't actually find pictures of Thwaite's music room, though!!!

Here is a good link http://www2.hull.ac.uk/Student/hullaccommodation/thwaitehall.aspx

My teacher told me it was a myth, but I've too much examining experience to think otherwise. :') My teacher's an examiner herself actually, and she said that mine is actually quite a nice marker, so here's hoping she's right. :crossedf: I've always found nerves a little helpful anyway. The get my adrenaline going which helps my fingers move faster. :smile:

Ah thanks! I'll think about reconsidering, but I really love the Lawns.. Ah who knows, I might end up there anyway. Have you been the the departmental open day yet? Because if you haven't, maybe you could ask to see it then. :smile: I found that about most of the uni tbh - not many photos. At least there's decent descriptions. :smile:
My teacher told me it was a myth, but I've too much examining experience to think otherwise. :') My teacher's an examiner herself actually, and she said that mine is actually quite a nice marker, so here's hoping she's right. :crossedf: I've always found nerves a little helpful anyway. The get my adrenaline going which helps my fingers move faster. :smile:

Ah thanks! I'll think about reconsidering, but I really love the Lawns.. Ah who knows, I might end up there anyway. Have you been the the departmental open day yet? Because if you haven't, maybe you could ask to see it then. :smile: I found that about most of the uni tbh - not many photos. At least there's decent descriptions. :smile:

Ahh that always is a benefit. If your teacher says he's generous, he must be! Either way, I'm sure you will have done fine if you practiced.

I checked the website but I couldn't find the date for it. Have you been to one? I'd really like to go but I may have missed it already? I've not been emailed or havn't heard anything about a department open day. And yes the descriptions are good, but I want rock solid proof! Seeing as this Piano is literally a huge deal for my and will no doubt score a big point in Hulls favour! (I havn't yet firmed Hull)
Reply 293
Did anybody go to the Primary Education interview at Scarborough on Saturday the 17th of March? If you did, have you heard back yet? Constantly checking my e-mail and track because they said we would hear within two weeks :L...
Ahh that always is a benefit. If your teacher says he's generous, he must be! Either way, I'm sure you will have done fine if you practiced.

I checked the website but I couldn't find the date for it. Have you been to one? I'd really like to go but I may have missed it already? I've not been emailed or havn't heard anything about a department open day. And yes the descriptions are good, but I want rock solid proof! Seeing as this Piano is literally a huge deal for my and will no doubt score a big point in Hulls favour! (I havn't yet firmed Hull)

I really hope so. :smile:

Yeah, I went at the end of February. I'm not sure if you missed it though, they're specific to each department. :/
It's probably a good idea to be absolutely sure then... Maybe you could email the department? They should know. :smile:
I really hope so. :smile:

Yeah, I went at the end of February. I'm not sure if you missed it though, they're specific to each department. :/
It's probably a good idea to be absolutely sure then... Maybe you could email the department? They should know. :smile:

Well I had my audition on the 28th of Feb, so I'm not really sure on that one.
Yeah I think It might be an idea, I'll need to send a few emails actually.
Well I had my audition on the 28th of Feb, so I'm not really sure on that one.
Yeah I think It might be an idea, I'll need to send a few emails actually.

Hm, I'm not sure then. :/
Emails are good. I can't believe the world ever functioned without them. :P
Just insuranced Hull! :biggrin:
What Hall are you staying in? :smile:

I live in my own house, but I have friends at Needler, Thwaite and the Lawns who all seem to think it's pretty cool there :smile:
Firmed Hull for computer science (software development) on Friday.

Quick Reply

Latest