Turn on thread page Beta

Thought for the day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Something I was pondering in my History class before...

How similar do you think Gladstone and Disraeli are to Blair and Cameron?

Is history repeating itself?

Although, currently, Blair and Cameron don't quite have the intsene hatred and rivalry like the former two, but the similar policies etc seems like repetition to me...

If you laid down the policies of Gladstone and Disraeli, it was obviously very difficult to tell some of them apart. Obviously there were major differences, like foreign policy, and minor ones (including Disraeli's subtle incorporation of the Anglican church into his Education Act)

Cameron is following a similar route, with his policies either matching or following some of Blair's - ie. he now supports top up fees, Labour's proposals from school reforms...

Obviously, I realise the comparisons have already been made in regards to Blair and Cameron... I believe Private Eye summed it up well with 'Britain's First Face Transplant A Success' but I just found the comparison between the two pairs an interesting one.

ReputationRep:
    I loved that Private eye cover! Did you see this issues? Made me laugh

On topic, I never really studied this period but yes from what I have read about these two there are certainly similarities.

Similarly, does anyone notice a similarity between Blair and his education reform and Peel and his eventual support for the repeal of the corn laws?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was a good cover

I haven't ventured into the library to read this weeks though. I'll go tomorrow, now you've mentioned it.

Peel was a bit of a turncoat too though really, we all remember catholic emancipation. The nicknames they gave him cracked me up, including 'Orange Peel' and most hilariously 'Re-Peel' (like repeal... get it?)

Hahaha... oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron is nothing like Disraeli....the latter being that almost unimaginable of creations, the half-alright Tory.

A much better comparison is with Salisbury (the man who agreed with Marx in that he acknowledged there wa a class war going on but disagreed on who should win), but then again I suppose that depends how much you go in for Cameron's PR nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I was more focusing on the similarity between the policies, rather than the actual individuals.

ReputationRep:
    Policy I wouldn't say he is either, Disraeli genuinely cared about the social divide (as seen in the Artisan Dwellings Act for example).

Cameron merely seeks to capitalise on the dwindling but still forceful humanism of the British people, by making vague sweeping promises to help them, and eventually (well I don't know this for sure, it's my assumption) disappointing them...

ReputationRep:
    But, the point is, lay the social reforms passed by Gladstone and Disraeli down, and it would be very difficult to say which one is aligned to which party because they all seemed to build on another and were not really very ideologically based... which is what is happening again, very similar policies, straying from ideology towards pure and simple vote winning policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlgerms)
    But, the point is, lay the social reforms passed by Gladstone and Disraeli down, and it would be very difficult to say which one is aligned to which party because they all seemed to build on another and were not really very ideologically based... which is what is happening again, very similar policies, straying from ideology towards pure and simple vote winning policies.
    I wouldn't dismiss Disraeli as a mere "vote-winner". But yes Blair and Cameron are rather fond of vote-winning policies, but such is the nature of modern politics, ideology has no role to play anymore.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.