Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am first year of university and live on campus. I was in the downstairs kitchen with a couple of female med students who live on that floor and I said "I drank 3 cans of monster in the past hour", one replied "you'll give yourself a heart attack!" and I said "I hope I do!" lol I don't know why, it was bad joke but an obvious joke

but my god, they flipped out they were like "YOU DONT JOKE ABOUT SUICIDE" and she was like "Just get out" and then I tried to explain "It was a joke", like I blatantly had no bad intentions or anything but then she was yelling "GET THE HELL OUT!" and I looked at the other girl who was also like "seriously just get out!"

These girls are pretty much always so serious and I am rarely capable of being serious about much really but I mean this encounter has left me just so confused I feel like an outcast in a world full of people I'll just never understand lol

I've spent so much of my life on internet lol and at dinner my dad regularly tells racist jokes etc so I can hardly understand people like this :|

I really just want to know am I the one who's being a **** or are these girls just messed up

It is something that has been really annoying me lately because the downstairs kitchen is the most popular place in this building lol my floor is entirely foreign people, now I feel like I'm not even welcome after such a harsh reaction :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)
    I am first year of university and live on campus. I was in the downstairs kitchen with a couple of female med students who live on that floor and I said "I drank 3 cans of monster in the past hour", one replied "you'll give yourself a heart attack!" and I said "I hope I do!" lol I don't know why, it was bad joke but an obvious joke

but my god, they flipped out they were like "YOU DONT JOKE ABOUT SUICIDE" and she was like "Just get out" and then I tried to explain "It was a joke", like I blatantly had no bad intentions or anything but then she was yelling "GET THE HELL OUT!" and I looked at the other girl who was also like "seriously just get out!"

These girls are pretty much always so serious and I am rarely capable of being serious about much really but I mean this encounter has left me just so confused I feel like an outcast in a world full of people I'll just never understand lol

I've spent so much of my life on internet lol and at dinner my dad regularly tells racist jokes etc so I can hardly understand people like this :|

I really just want to know am I the one who's being a **** or are these girls just messed up

It is something that has been really annoying me lately because the downstairs kitchen is the most popular place in this building lol my floor is entirely foreign people, now I feel like I'm not even welcome after such a harsh reaction :|
    Don't worry, they need to chill out. Though maybe they had somebody in their family commit suicide...although you didn't actually joke about suicide...Where are they from?

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of you? :dontknow:

Because that sounds like a slight over-reaction.

ReputationRep:
    they some of the few British people here so it sux that they're weirdos like this

and I doubt it was just trying to get rid of me heh they could have just left and that would be a bit harsh lol

ReputationRep:
    Stick to your guns, you did nothing wrong.

Those girls sound like a bunch of morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSG1992)
    Stick to your guns, you did nothing wrong.

Those girls sound like a bunch of morons.
    This. You should have told them to grow up and shut up. They seem a bit too slow to be med students, if they didn't realize it was a joke.

Besides, didn't they start the discussion on "suicide"?

ReputationRep:
    I laughed. :dontknow:

They need to chillax man!

ReputationRep:
    If they didn't understand that was a joke...are they retarded or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I figured as much and I think I'm just not going to bother trying to be social with these particular people any more at all tbh

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious haha.

ReputationRep:
    Those girls sound like they're teachers, they can't command you like that (!)

ReputationRep:
    They sound like losers. You should report them. If nothing else, it might waste a bit of their time having to explain themselves.

I'd probably have laughed. Seemed like an innocent joke to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajer_09)
    Those girls sound like they're teachers, they can't command you like that (!)
    This. And a bit more of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)

judging by the reaction, maybe they saw someone who tried to commit suicide at the hospital :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I got a crappy accommodation :<

no normal/sensible/reasonable people like you ppls in this thread

ReputationRep:
    Overreaction, but what you said wasn't funny in the slightest, by anyone's standards. Not because it's mocking suicide or whatever, but because it's just a weird, unamusing thing to say.. .

ReputationRep:
    I can agree with that lol but I wasn't really thinking at the time

if I was I probably would have just asked how energy drinks cause heart attacks and see if med student can answer that :]

though I am pretty weird and I was thinking about how it would be interesting to go through experience of having a heart attack lol, pretty sure you don't die from them usually, my gran has had like 2

ReputationRep:
    Don't beat yourself up over it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    you should have stayed. they're over reacting. even if they knew someone who had committed suicide, you obviously didn't know that, and the joke wasn't even that harsh!

that's like saying "i wanted to die" when something embarrassing happens. everyone says it, it doesn't mean anything, they're hardly going to cope interacting with people.

ReputationRep:
    Is it strange that me picturing this scenario is making me laugh so much?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.