Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone crack this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15968878

http://www.canyoucrackit.co.uk/

got 10 days to do it

anyone who gets the keyword please share

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do it then you probably aren't what they are looking for...

ReputationRep:
    Think the code is ASM or something, then it leads to another page with a second part of the challenge which is so ****ing retarded that you don't even need to edit cookies or session ID's to get to it. You can just go through a link. This bit I've forgotten what it is, but then it leads to a page saying well done, click here for our careers site.
    So you go through that and don't get preferential treatment for the recruitment process.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point was the generate publicity for GCHQ and increase the volume of applications as well as temp potential applicants who would otherwise not know about GCHQ and its role within securing our nation.

Not a bad place to work at and very challenging. For those looking into the security aspect learn some scripting languages like perl and have a good understanding of networking protocol such as TCP

ReputationRep:
    Yup GCHQ is a great place to work since you'll be in an extremely privileged position learning and doing some really interesting things pretty much on a daily basis. There are a few downsides to it though which every applicant should be aware of;

1. You need full DV clearance to work there. This involves a long vetting process which initially takes about 4-6 months and it aims to figure out exactly who you are by looking at some key areas across your entire life, such as history with relationships, money, political movements, criminality, drugs, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of that would likely throw up a red flag will almost definitely be evaluated. It is also a process that continues after your clearance is obtained and it can be taken away at any time for a potential wrong doing and as a result, you'd be unlikely to ever get it back. This also implies you lose your job.

2. The work is extremely secretive and sensitive. This means you literally cannot speak about anything that occurs within the premises and you can only just about mention to friends and family that you even work there.

3. Much like the rest of the civil service, the pay is not competitive. You'll probably start out on £25k, but GCHQ hire mostly people who can easily get much more in the private sector. However, also much like the rest of the civil service, you will have a gold-plated pension scheme that is unmatched by anything you'll get in the private sector. None-the-less, if you don't think you can earn more than £25k privately, then you're probably not what they are looking for.

4. Following on the previous point; Cheltenham is a nice area but it is extremely middle-class and as a result, it is a very expensive area to live in. Coupled with the civil service pay, you may feel a bit squeezed financially.

Don't let these things put you off though. It is one of the top graduate destinations for a reason and you will almost certainly enjoy your time working there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    Yup GCHQ is a great place to work since you'll be in an extremely privileged position learning and doing some really interesting things pretty much on a daily basis. There are a few downsides to it though which every applicant should be aware of;

1. You need full DV clearance to work there. This involves a long vetting process which initially takes about 4-6 months and it aims to figure out exactly who you are by looking at some key areas across your entire life, such as history with relationships, money, political movements, criminality, drugs, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of that would likely throw up a red flag will almost definitely be evaluated. It is also a process that continues after your clearance is obtained and it can be taken away at any time for a potential wrong doing and as a result, you'd be unlikely to ever get it back. This also implies you lose your job.

2. The work is extremely secretive and sensitive. This means you literally cannot speak about anything that occurs within the premises and you can only just about mention to friends and family that you even work there.

3. Much like the rest of the civil service, the pay is not competitive. You'll probably start out on £25k, but GCHQ hire mostly people who can easily get much more in the private sector. However, also much like the rest of the civil service, you will have a gold-plated pension scheme that is unmatched by anything you'll get in the private sector. None-the-less, if you don't think you can earn more than £25k privately, then you're probably not what they are looking for.

4. Following on the previous point; Cheltenham is a nice area but it is extremely middle-class and as a result, it is a very expensive area to live in. Coupled with the civil service pay, you may feel a bit squeezed financially.

Don't let these things put you off though. It is one of the top graduate destinations for a reason and you will almost certainly enjoy your time working there.
    Do you work there?

Public sector pensions are far from gold plated - that sounds like someone that doesn't have one. Yes, they are better than the public sector equivilent in most places, but you may have noticed that they are being changed for the worse. As you say, the pay is soooo much worse than anything an equivilent candidate would get in the private sector too.

Rent in Cheltenham is not expensive, unless you are used to renting in the North :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    Do you work there?

Public sector pensions are far from gold plated - that sounds like someone that doesn't have one. Yes, they are better than the public sector equivilent in most places, but you may have noticed that they are being changed for the worse. As you say, the pay is soooo much worse than anything an equivilent candidate would get in the private sector too.

Rent in Cheltenham is not expensive, unless you are used to renting in the North :P
    They are gold plated (at least, they are for the moment). Infact, they are more than gold-plated, they are completely ridiculous. It is one of the only things that still attract people to the civil service since the pay just isn't competitive. Also, rent isn't the only thing that factors into living costs... Everything else pretty much borders London prices.

And also, I'm not really interested in engaging in a discussion on whether I've worked there or not since it's not really yours or anyone else's business, and also not the thing I would be interested in discussing if I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    They are gold plated (at least, they are for the moment). Infact, they are more than gold-plated, they are completely ridiculous. It is one of the only things that still attract people to the civil service since the pay just isn't competitive. Also, rent isn't the only thing that factors into living costs... Everything else pretty much borders London prices.

And also, I'm not really interested in engaging in a discussion on whether I've worked there or not since it's not really yours or anyone else's business, and also not the thing I would be interested in discussing if I did.
    Alright, calm down, I just wondered. I know people who work there and your post has a couple of things in it they would probably disagree with so I just wondered whether you worked there or were just saying what you'd heard from someone else.

I'm finding living in Cheltenham far, far cheaper than living in Berkshire was. Plus, you could easily live in Gloucester or the surrounding area and get to Cheltenham (it's like 5 miles away) and Gloucester is way cheaper to rent in. I live on the outskirts of Cheltenham and for £950 per month my BF and I have a massive, beautifully decorated 3 bed house with a garden and drive, compared to the £750 per month we spent on a tiny 1 bed maisonette in Berkshire. Council tax is more but only cos the house is far bigger. Ditto electricity and gas. Food is the same, obviously, probably less as food here is cheaper than where we were before. Not sure what other living costs you are referring to that are so much more expensive than elsewhere.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.