Turn on thread page Beta

what to expect on the first day when you start university watch

ReputationRep:
    im one of those people that gets panicky when i start something new (secondary school/ college and now uni)

so i just want to know what people do on the first day or week? how should i prepare, as far as i know none of my friends are doing psychology like i am, so i'll probably be by myself

ReputationRep:
    Just be normal enjoy the experience everybody is in the same shoes as you!

ReputationRep:
    Find some goal to focus on other than just making friends. Sure you could try making friends, but if you build your expectations up in this area too much, you might end up disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Full of hyperactive irritating kids.

ReputationRep:
    An orgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by messy_teardrops)
    im one of those people that gets panicky when i start something new (secondary school/ college and now uni)

so i just want to know what people do on the first day or week? how should i prepare, as far as i know none of my friends are doing psychology like i am, so i'll probably be by myself
    Particularly as you are a psychology student,if you can start learning and practising some relaxation ,and positive visualization, techniques ,then you will worry less about the new situation,and enjoy it to the full- even look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Bit early to start worrying, isn't it? =p
    Honestly it's fine. There will probably be lots of confusion...try and remember to note down what rooms you need to be in when, and maybe get hold of a map. Though I did meet one of my best friends on the first day by selecting a random person and asking where on earth we were supposed to be going. He didn't know either so we bunked off and went to the pub haha.
    First few days are mostly admin, going to intro talks, library talks etc, getting your student card (and photograph), and generally finding your way around. Your union will probably have set up loads of events as well, like a socieites fayre, a sports fayre, a job fayre, book and dvd sales, poster sales...you name it, they usually hold it.
    So usually either with flatmates, coursemates you've mannaged to grab onto or by yourself (nothing wrong with that!) you'll go around and learn about your home for the next 3-4years =]

ReputationRep:
    On my first day I arrived, unpacked, went down the corridor to the only other occupied room in my block and suggested to the guy inside we go to the bar and basically kept drinking from about 4 till midnight and talked to a load of random people.

ReputationRep:
    "What are you studying?"
    *you reply*
    "Oh. *fake interest & pretend to know something about it*"

ReputationRep:
    You'll get to halls, collect your keys, meet your housemates and move in. Your parents will leave at that point, and the drinking / general partying will start that evening.

At some point during freshers you'll probably have a series of intro lectures, and then you'll pick your modules. There were lots of people around, with 'Ask Me' hoodies on that you could ask if you got lost, and there were campus maps too, so you shouldn't get lost really.

And then your student loan will come in <3

ReputationRep:
    tbh, i'm not attractive and i have health issues, so i won't be making friends.

so i will go this alone. as i will my whole life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    You'll get to halls, collect your keys, meet your housemates and move in. Your parents will leave at that point, and the drinking / general partying will start that evening.

At some point during freshers you'll probably have a series of intro lectures, and then you'll pick your modules. There were lots of people around, with 'Ask Me' hoodies on that you could ask if you got lost, and there were campus maps too, so you shouldn't get lost really.

And then your student loan will come in <3
    i'm not a social person

i don't want to have anything to do with people. i've been called ugly and have low self esteem

basically, i want to get in for the degree and get out

ReputationRep:
    Prepare to explain what subject you're doing over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justdoit1)

This made me LOL a lot. Well done.

ReputationRep:

Or, you could try and change things for the better? Surely it's worth a try? And if anyone cares about your looks (although I doubt you are anywhere near as ugly as you think you are) or your health issues, then dump them and move on to other people who are normal, reasonable, rational and (say it quietly), potential frinds.

You are, after all, going to have to share accommodation with other students for however many years of your degree lasts, so you may as well make it enjoyable.

The way you are currently thinking is going to set you up for a miserable few years at university; only you can change that.

ReputationRep:
    That sense of impending doom you've got? That loneliness that's setting in even now? Yeah, everyone there is gonna have it. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, ********s. All of them will be experiencing it. Except for Ferris Bueller. He's a righteous dude.

Seriously though, everyones pretty much summed it up. The fear and intrepidation, the confusion, the sense of being a fish out of water and indeed, people making random conversation about nothing in particular simply to try and override the overbearing sense of awkwardness. That's the first day of university. The trick is to simply go with it and break down a few barriers.

Incidentally, health issues and unattractive? If you have, and are (which is actually just a matter of self image, not reality), its not going to matter. Those that aren't your friends because you have health issues and they don't like the way they look aren't worth being friends with.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hamijack)
    On my first day I arrived, unpacked, went down the corridor to the only other occupied room in my block and suggested to the guy inside we go to the bar and basically kept drinking from about 4 till midnight and talked to a load of random people.
    This is about the gist of it, meet a couple of people then go out and meet more people. Lot of drinking tends to be involved

ReputationRep:
    Hi, nice to meet you.

What are you studying?

My name is...

i'm not a social person

i don't want to have anything to do with people. i've been called ugly and have low self esteem

basically, i want to get in for the degree and get out
    Umm, ok then. :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    I am 28 years old. I find it nigh on impossible to relate to 90% of the stuff my peers talk about. I had a full on beard where most people I know at Uni had difficulty with Movember. I have both a superiority AND an inferiority complex, and you know something? I fit in just fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil2wkd)
    I am 28 years old. I find it nigh on impossible to relate to 90% of the stuff my peers talk about. I had a full on beard where most people I know at Uni had difficulty with Movember. I have both a superiority AND an inferiority complex, and you know something? I fit in just fine
    My months growth is pathetic

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.