The Student Room Group

Thoughts on current debate, stunning or Jewish, Islamic methods of slaughter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CityOfMyHeart
So if you say a prayer over dead meat, you can eat it?

I don't want to offend, but isn't that a rule of ease? Surely the correct thing to do is to refuse the meat as it has not been killed the correct way? And in a post before, you posted a quote which said meat shouldn't be eaten from animals not killed in the name of Allah/in the name of another God. Pronouncing Allah over the meat doesn't change the fact that it was killed for a different God/another reason/the 'wrong' way...?

No, No. The hadeeth is used by scholars to prove that it is not required for any Muslim to check whether any meat given by Christians or Jews is in fact allowed to eat. The general rule is that meat from Christians and Jews is allowed, period. And if one is unsure as to whether their meat had Allah's name mentioned over it then you can mention Allah's name over it and eat it.
Reply 41
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
What about amphibious animals

Difference of opinion. I follow the opinion that they are allowed to eat, this has the strongest evidence I think.
Original post by noisy06
Difference of opinion. I follow the opinion that they are allowed to eat, this has the strongest evidence I think.

What about a penguin, it is a bird of prey that spends its life in and out of the sea.

Islamic rules throw up more questions than answers when it comes to diet.
Reply 43
What about a penguin, it is a bird of prey that spends its life in and out of the sea.

Islamic rules throw up more questions than answers when it comes to diet.

As far as I'm concerned, it is allowed to eat penguin meat. In Islam there is a basic principle that everything is allowed unless one comes across evidence saying it is forbidden. I have not seen any evidence suggesting that penguins are haram, so I have to assume it is halal.
Original post by noisy06
As far as I'm concerned, it is allowed to eat penguin meat. In Islam there is a basic principle that everything is allowed unless one comes across evidence saying it is forbidden. I have not seen any evidence suggesting that penguins are haram, so I have to assume it is halal.

I would think the quran ( and the OT) is silent on penguins because mohammed and other medieval middle eastern peoples didnt know penguins existed, so no-one really knows what the correct ruling would be under islamic law.

But obviously you cant eat a chocolate penguin, because on the packet there is a picture of a penguin - which under islamic law is haram.
Reply 45
I would think the quran ( and the OT) is silent on penguins because mohammed and other medieval middle eastern peoples didnt know penguins existed, so no-one really knows what the correct ruling would be under islamic law.

But obviously you cant eat a chocolate penguin, because on the packet there is a picture of a penguin - which under islamic law is haram.

Muhammad didn't know about penguins? Where did you get this from- the department of the bleeding obvious?
Reply 46
People scream animal welfare.
Same people eat factory farmed meat and then criticize the Muslim and Jewish method of slaughter.
Original post by noisy06
Muhammad didn't know about penguins? Where did you get this from- the department of the bleeding obvious?

Also it is your duty, is it not to smash all penguins (the biscuit) because you are charged as a muslim with the duty to destroy all such images that are haram. Are you a practicing muslim?
Original post by Besakt
People scream animal welfare.
Same people eat factory farmed meat and then criticize the Muslim and Jewish method of slaughter.

just becuase you eat meat, doesnt mean you have to use an unnecessarrily cruel and drawn out slaughter
Reply 49
Also it is your duty, is it not to smash all penguins (the biscuit) because you are charged as a muslim with the duty to destroy all such images that are haram. Are you a practicing muslim?

Wtf? No I'm not charged with doing that. And the penguin is a cartoon anyway so it doesn't count. Don't you get bored of these stupid questions?
Reply 50
just becuase you eat meat, doesnt mean you have to use an unnecessarrily cruel and drawn out slaughter

Never said you do but a lot of people get their meat from supermarkets which get their meat from factory farms in order to keep costs low. The same people then complain how inhumane the method of slaughtering animals that the Jews and Muslims follow is. Kind of hypocritical.
Also to your previous comment about penguins there is a general rule for which meats Muslims and Jews can eat and which they cannot.
Reply 51
Original post by IamBeowulf
some 'halal' meat in this country is stunned (actually quite a lot of it is), whereas no koasher meat is stunned

Because of it, i got to check who gives the certification, check the company and research it, its not fun for me -_-
Original post by noisy06
Wtf? No I'm not charged with doing that. And the penguin is a cartoon anyway so it doesn't count. Don't you get bored of these stupid questions?

You dont think cartoons are haram? - i beg to differ, please check your text again youre knowledge is extremly limited- ANY image made of an animal is haram and muslims are charged to destroy haram images ie to follow the example of the prohet.
Original post by Besakt
Never said you do but a lot of people get their meat from supermarkets which get their meat from factory farms in order to keep costs low. The same people then complain how inhumane the method of slaughtering animals that the Jews and Muslims follow is. Kind of hypocritical.
Also to your previous comment about penguins there is a general rule for which meats Muslims and Jews can eat and which they cannot.

Well that is another topic, whether people should eat animals at all. but if you do , theres no reason why animals should subjected to a bleeding out before they die.

And regarding penguins - they are not mentioned in the rule you refer and they span two different categories - birds of prey and living in the water
Reply 54
I'm sorry but the welfare of animals should be more of a priority than allowing pre-Medieval (but just as barbaric) methods of execution in which the animals die in unnecessary pain.
Reply 55
You dont think cartoons are haram? - i beg to differ, please check your text again youre knowledge is extremly limited- ANY image made of an animal is haram and muslims are charged to destroy haram images ie to follow the example of the prohet.

Cartoons are not haram, this is a trivial matter. That's like saying Action man and barbie doll is haram because idols are not allowed in Islam. And no, we're not charged with destroying penguin chocolates. Grow a pair.
Reply 56
Original post by Tahooper
I'm sorry but the welfare of animals should be more of a priority than allowing pre-Medieval (but just as barbaric) methods of execution in which the animals die in unnecessary pain.

Even if animals died in excruciating pain, why should we care? Have you got a book from God saying that we should care?
Well that is another topic, whether people should eat animals at all. but if you do , theres no reason why animals should subjected to a bleeding out before they die.

And regarding penguins - they are not mentioned in the rule you refer and they span two different categories - birds of prey and living in the water

There is a very good reason - hypocrisy. Everyone who has ever expressed their disapproval of halal/kosher slaughter methods to me have happily admitted they buy factory farmed food. These people see nothing wrong (well, they generally make up some rubbish about how it's bad but they can't afford high-welfare food so they are somehow forced to purchase it) with eating the meat/eggs of an animal that has suffered it's entire life, yet get all high and mighty because an animal may suffer for a few seconds/minutes at the time of slaughter. What's the difference? One is done by those evil Muslims/Jews...

And argue with me if you want, but I refuse to accept that people who are happy for animals to be killed for their pleasure have any real passion for the welfare of farmed animals.
Original post by noisy06
Cartoons are not haram, this is a trivial matter. That's like saying Action man and barbie doll is haram because idols are not allowed in Islam. And no, we're not charged with destroying penguin chocolates. Grow a pair.

I have a big pair, Do you know anything about islam? Idols are haram in islam but childrens dolls are specifically mentioned in hadiths because they are for children and educational - so are given dispensation. Cartoons ( unless educational) are NOT allowable just like any other haram image.
If they were, then why would a cartoon of mohammed cause such outrage?
Original post by Tahooper

You mean the welfare of living creatures which you lock up and then kill for your pleasure? How noble of you...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending