Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few questions on here asking what economics graduates have gone on to do, what the job prospects are etc.

Here is some info from the 'what do graduates do' report produced by prospects:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/assets/as.../WDGD_2011.pdf

This is a six month follow up:

The economics figures are on p40 of the report (3645 responses from economics grads):
    51.5% in UK employment
    2.9% in overseas employment
    11.9% studying in the UK for a higher degree
    9.5% unemployed

Of those that found work, 46.1% were in "business and financial services and associate professionals", there is further breakdown of what sort of jobs those that got work ended up in on p41

Compare to the "all subjects" figures for graduates as a whole (233865 responses):
    60.4% in UK employment
    1.8% in overseas employment
    7.3% studying in the UK for a higher degree
    8.5% unemployed

So overall economics graduates are considerably more likely to be studying for postgraduate degrees than graduates of other subjects, but the unemployment rate (those seeking work that can't find it) is a bit higher. The all subjects unemployment rate is similar for graduates as the current unemployment rate across the whole country but for economics grads its a percentage point higher.

Here's how the unemployment rate compares to that of other subjects:

14.2% IT and computing
    14.1% media studies
    11.3% art and design
    11.1% physics
    11.0% accountancy
    10.7% biology
    9.9% marketing
    9.7% business and management studies, marketing
    9.5% economics, chemistry, mathematics
    9.3% sociology
    8.9% politics
    8.7% performing arts
    8.5% history
    8.4% languages
    8.1% environmental science
    8.0% geography, english
    7.9% psychology
    7.3% architecture and building
    6.8% law
    6.4% civil engineering
    6.0% sports science
    5.5% electrical and electronic engineering, mechanical engineering

I know those figures don't tell the full story, I would guess that out of those that find jobs, there are a good proportion of economics grads on reasonably high salaries in the financial services sector, hence tables that show 'average starting salary' of graduates often have economics quite high, but this one shows the broader employment picture. I would guess that the top economics graduates either go on to do Masters degrees or get good jobs but a lot of economics graduates struggle in the job market compared to the average population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I know those figures don't tell the full story, I would guess that out of those that find jobs, there are a good proportion of economics grads on reasonably high salaries in the financial services sector, hence tables that show 'average starting salary' of graduates often have economics quite high, but this one shows the broader employment picture. I would guess that the top economics graduates either go on to do Masters degrees or get good jobs but a lot of economics graduates struggle in the job market compared to the average population.
    Thanks for the figures.

I think a lot of it is this false perception that an economics degree -- relative to others -- will lead to a good job. Also need to be aware that those who tend to answer these surveys tend to be people who have good jobs/salaries and don't mind answering questions on it....maybe the unemployment figure is even higher and average salaries are not representative.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 1, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.