Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    BUT YOU HAVE HAD YOUR EARS CLOSED!!!!!

[/CapsLock]

I see Avril's angsting-up your world.
    :eek:

Avril is just so good looking.. her music is alright..

Hehehe, looks like she's disappeared already. I don't remember liking any of her singles. Whatever happened to her?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh she had her 2 minutes as my avatar..

Not sure what happened to her, i think shes still doing stuff in america, just nothing here..

Ahhh. Strange, because she was doing really well over here. Usually artists disappear off to America when they're not doing so well.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to resurrect a dead and buried thread.

But I heard today that Arctic Monkeys' bassist has walked out on the band ahead of their U.S tour.

I had to laugh.

Ahhh well... anyone can play bass. He'll be easily replaced.

I'm going to get stabbed by bass players now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    Sorry to resurrect a dead and buried thread.

But I heard today that Arctic Monkeys' bassist has walked out on the band ahead of their U.S tour.

I had to laugh.
    it's only for this tour btw, because he's knackered, which makes it funnier I think.

here's the story form the times if anyone cares
    First Arctic Monkey is feeling the heat
    By Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent
    THEIR rise was stratospheric but will Arctic Monkeys burn out? The record-breaking band’s bassist walked out of their North American tour yesterday, citing fatigue.

Andy Nicholson said he would not take part in the tour, seen as vital in establishing the Sheffield quartet as a serious force in the world’s biggest music market.

A statement from the band said that Nicholson, 19, was suffering from “fatigue following an intensive period of touring”. His place will be taken by Nick O’Malley, former bassist in another young Sheffield band, the Dodgems.

The band hopes that Nicholson will recover for their summer European dates, but there are fears within the music industry that the young bandmembers are already suffering from overexposure.

Their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not is the fastest-selling- ever in Britain, approaching one million sales only four months after its release.

Arctic Monkeys have just finished an extensive British tour but have 44 international dates to complete before they can take a break and work on new material in September.

After the coast-to-coast North American tour that begins in Canada this weekend, they will play European rock festivals before an assault on Australia and Japan in August.

They have already toured North America this year but are returning to play bigger venues with a capacity of up to 3,000 to meet the demand created by their album.

The deadpan Nicholson met Alex Turner, the Arctic Monkeys’ frontman, at Barnsley College and was unemployed when he joined the band. He is not a songwriter but the solid rhythm section he established with the drummer Matt Helders, incorporating funk and jazz elements, is at the core of the band’s distinctive sound.

Arctic Monkeys found fame when fans swapped their music over file-sharing websites. Thousands logged on to the band’s web forum to debate Nicholson’s absence.

Most agreed with GavDann, who wrote: “He just needs a bit of a time-out. The whole band could probably do with one. It’s been a hectic 12 months.” Jon Stark posted: “I’m not saying he’s the world’s greatest bass player but he’s perfect for this band’s sound. I’m praying he will come back to it cos he never hid the fact he wasn’t keen on the limelight.”

Articulated Monkey sensed a conspiracy: “The bass player is always exit stage-right? He only really interacts with the drummer (with quizzical looks), and he never leaves his spot! Is there a hierarchy going on?”

Rigorous American touring fractured Oasis, the last great British rock hope, a decade ago. The bassist Paul McGuigan refused to tour the US in 1995, citing exhaustion, while both Gallagher brothers have stormed out of the band while on the road.

America has cast a shadow over more fragile British musicians. Ian Curtis, the Joy Division singer, committed suicide on the eve of the band’s US tour, and Richey Edwards, the Manic Street Preachers’ guitarist, disappeared before a big American tour and is presumed dead.

But while six months of touring has proved too much for an Arctic Monkey, the Rolling Stones camp confirmed yesterday that Keith Richards is ready to rock again.

The guitarist, 63, arrived at his US home after making a full recovery from brain surgery after falling out of a coconut tree. A revised Stones tour itinerary will be released but the British concerts are unaffected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    it's only for this tour btw, because he's knackered, which makes it funnier I think.

here's the story form the times if anyone cares
    Hehe, I knew it was only a matter of time until you appeared.

It's understandable... 40-odd dates before being able to have a break is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    He's still a member but he's not doing the tour. They have a bass tech to replace him for the moment. Which is a shame as I thought they may be splitting up, but hey never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeff's_dead)
    Hehe, I knew it was only a matter of time until you appeared.

It's understandable... 40-odd dates before being able to have a break is crazy.
    yeah, any it's pretty damn fat.

mc hamster, the bassist from the dodgems is going to play with them on the tour, dodgems arn't all that wonderful though, but then again, it's only the bassist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet Adeline)
    Apologies if there's already a thread on this but I can't search right now.

Basically, I really can't stand this band, and feel insulted that they apparently "define a generation" - my generation. Which I suppose means that I must vapidly reference books that I probably haven't even read and enjoy music that lifts wholesale lines from vastly superior songs.

Also, they are not "working class", they have Gibson guitars. Just because they're from the north, doesn't make them poor, as most London-centric media seems to assume.

So yes, sorry for the rant, but please tell me I'm not alone in thinking this?
    TBH, they're the most interesting British band in a while IMO. I don't particularly think The Verve or Coldplay especially deserve to be 'generation defining' bands but there you go. You got to admit that 'I bet you look good....
    Was a classic, and original tune. Plus, btw they can play their instruments damn well live, and so many bands, even supposedly 'great' ones are just **** live. WTF should them having Gibsons mean they're not working class? They are anyway, I think they're tilers, or the lead singer is, the rest are plasterers, builders or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    The most interesting band in a while?

So ripping off The Jam and singing in an awful Northern accent gets you that accolade does it?

It's an easy life being in a band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the victory james)

So ripping off The Jam and singing in an awful Northern accent gets you that accolade does it?

which new british band is more interesting then?

I don't see how being in a band can lead to fatigue, all he does is stand around on stage, talk to the odd tv presenter and ride around in cars/buses.

ReputationRep:

Well I like Hard Fi, and Kasabian, too, but tell me what British band lately should beat them to that title? Razorlight? Don't make me laugh. The Kooks? ditto. I could list a million other pithy ineffectual bands for whom coming out with something half as good as 'I bet you look good..... would be an absolute wet dream. They don't rip off The Jam, they sound nothing like them. It's The Ordinary Boys that do that. They have an original sound. The only similarity with The Jam, is that they sing about very English things, in a 'down to earth' style, their accents, and tunes are completely different and he's an original lyricist. And the 'awful northern accent' is just him singing in his natural accent, so what's your problem?

ReputationRep:
    It's the way in which he accentuates the accent, it's cynically emphasised to gain more appeal. It sounds awful.

As for better British bands around atm, well most popular new music from the UK is bloody awful.

Hell even a band like Bloc Party are infinitely superior, at least they have some range in their sound, and a smidge of originality. Marshals of the Vanguard (www.myspace.com/marshalsofthevanguard) have the kind of originality and scope I like in new music. Not the same old NME buzzsaw sound with dire lyrics about eating chips and being from up north..

ReputationRep:
    It's the way in which he accentuates the accent, it's cynically emphasised to gain more appeal. It sounds awful.

As for better British bands around atm, well most popular new music from the UK is bloody awful.

Hell even a band like Bloc Party are infinitely superior, at least they have some range in their sound, and a smidge of originality. Marshals of the Vanguard (www.myspace.com/marshalsofthevanguard) have the kind of originality and scope I like in new music. Not the same old NME buzzsaw sound with dire lyrics about eating chips and being from up north..
    HE sings as he is, it's natural to accentuate the accent. And Bloc Party, lol, I've never heard such tuneless, pretentious ****e, but I'll give the other lot a listen.
    Out of interest, which lyrics by the arctic monkeys mention being from up north or eating chips?

ReputationRep:

I'll agree they don't have a whole lot of range in their sound, but not that they rip people off or are unoriginal more than any other band. Having range or originality obviously also doesn't equal being good.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but having range certainly helps.

You know how if every song sounds the same it can get dull?

You can't possibly disagree with that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.