Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been searching far and wide for options for programmes for final year students for either this summer or next year to go abroad to do a placement or internship in business. However, most I see are simply huge organisations which seems more like a profit making organisation seeking to recruit as many people as possible, rather than a competitive and useful opportunity which will provide useful experience. Does anyone know of any good programmes that are out there? They don't have to be totally free, however I am suspicious of companies charging $$$$$ for these opportunities, for the reasons outlined above.

Anyone been on any particularly good programmes they would recommend? Any ideas for places to search?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjiathome)
    I have been searching far and wide for options for programmes for final year students for either this summer or next year to go abroad to do a placement or internship in business. However, most I see are simply huge organisations which seems more like a profit making organisation seeking to recruit as many people as possible, rather than a competitive and useful opportunity which will provide useful experience. Does anyone know of any good programmes that are out there? They don't have to be totally free, however I am suspicious of companies charging $$$$$ for these opportunities, for the reasons outlined above.

Anyone been on any particularly good programmes they would recommend? Any ideas for places to search?

Thanks!
    Hey I feel exactly the same thing and I really would go it alone if I knew all the languages, but I don't so a bit of support is nice.
    I found a programme and posted about it on another thread but haven't yet got a reply. Anyway, please have a look and let me know what you think. This one is for interning in China.

The internship program is called GAC (Go Abroad China) internship program.
    It's $2160 for one month which is just under £1400 and you can apply for scholarships which will take off a few hundred dollars. They help you get a part time job teaching English which pays a salary if you want to make extra money. If you already know the language, then you don't have to have lessons and it'll obviously be cheaper. Anyway, this is mostly what it includes. find their website by searching on google.

- Internship placement

- Homestay or shared apartment accommodation with Chinese young professional (electricity, internet access, gas, water and some meals are included)

- 40 hour private Chinese language tutoring classes - tutors are native Chinese university graduates with at least two years experience in teaching Chinese as a foreign language. Most of them teach at renowned universities like Tsinghua University, Peking University and Beijing Language and Culture University.

- Language text books and other required materials

- Social activities, art & culture classes and volunteer events

- Regular excursions and guided tours to tourism resorts and historic attractions (entrance fee, guided tours and meal are all included)

- Social activities and networking events with local and foreign friends, language partners

- Airport pick-up and drop off

- International phone call service and skype

- Assistance with visa application and extension, networking support, travel inquiries, ticket booking, opening bank accounts, exchanging money, sending and receiving mail parcels etc.

- GAC Service Package - pre-departure procedures, social activities, guided tours, networking events, elective workshops, language exchange program, etc.

For the internship program they give:

- Pre-internship training
    - Resume translation.
    - A stipend or basic salary paid by the company
    - Business networking events.
    - Ongoing monitoring and assessment
    - An English speaking company coordinator to help you adjust to the cultural differences and work
    - Weekly discussion with internship supervisor. If you are not enjoying your internship you can be transferred to another one.
    - A report, a reference letter outlining your achievements, and a certificate will be awarded at the end of the internship program by internship company and GAC
    - Full time job arrangement after internship or graduation

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yeah. That sounds cool, im a little confused at what you are saying though. Its a teaching english in china thing, but then you go on to talk about internships in a chinese business? Is there two options you can choose? One to teach, and one to get an internship in business? Personally, i'm not THAT interested in teaching english abroad. I don't want to go into teaching, and whilst im sure it would be a great and fun experience, I am more interested in business and gaining experience in that area.

ReputationRep:
    Hey you you can get teaching English if you want, but if you want it in Business/ Finance they arrange that as well. They partner with companies like HSBC and Bank of China.
    I mentioned the English teaching thing, because if you want to earn extra money on the side, they can arrange an English teaching job for a few hours on the weekend.
    Sorry for the late reply, I only just saw your post!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I did an internship in London last year in marketing. I was in charge of creating the company's website, developping the market in Europe, dealing with clients, assisted the boss in business strategies and launching specific communication campains. It was a great internship! The main drawback is that it was an unpaid internship.

I was really surprised because it was the first time I contacted an internship placement agency and I was skeptic on the type of intership they could find me. I thought they would not bother and just offer me the first marketing internship they would found. But, the person I had on the phone spent time to understand what internship I wanted and explained me honestly the feasability. I really appreciated it.

I payed around £700 for the palcement and £140/week for the accommodation. I did not need more services, but they have.

If you are interested here is the link to their website:www.internshipinlondon.com

Ciao

ReputationRep:
    So www.internshipinlondon.com is really genuine?

question: once you pay, is there an assurance you will get the internship?

thanks

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.