The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I dont remember how exactly it was because I did it last summer, but I think it's quite difficult and took long time to solve the problems. No revision that time 'cause I was having a fever How about you ?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 261
I will be very grateful if you teach me some japanese words :biggrin:
Reply 262
Ken: I took it a year early too, got S, 1 on STEP II and III respectively :smile: .

Also, about learning Japanese, here is a nice greeting/introduction:

はじめまして。私はケンです。どうぞよろしくお願いします。私のせんもんはすうがくです。

Pronounced: "Hajimema****e. Watashi wa Ken desu. Doozo yoroshiku onegai shimasu. Watashi no senmon wa suugaku desu."

Meaning: "Nice to meet you. I'm Ken. Please be kind to me/please favour me. My degree subject is maths."

Disclaimer: The above might not be entirely correct :p: - I self-teach Japanese and I'm not very good!

Edit: Hmm, it messes up the Japanese slightly when I submit the post, and censors the pronunciation :o: :p: ...
Reply 263
chris1200
I loooove how it starred out the '****' bit of hajimema****e!! hahaha

Okay wow, you're way better than me at Japanese and I'm doing it for a degree... how embarrassing... Teach me please? =]

Yeah, made me laugh too hahaha :p: . I think that you should learn the kana perfectly before you arrive, and get a good grasp of some common kanji - if you search 'kyoiku kanji' (education kanji) on Wikipedia you will find a list of the kanji taught in infant/junior school. The kanji are roughly taught in order of relevance, so familiarise yourself with the first grade ones and second grade ones. You might want to consider learning some basic vocabulary too (for instance common animals, foods, everyday nouns). A few verbs could come in handy too :biggrin: . Having a good grasp of the basics when you get there will be of great benefit in the first few weeks I'm sure :smile: .
Reply 264
chris1200
Luckily I already know the kana and a few basic kanji (only about 20 or so) - and I was working my way through 'Japanese for Busy People' but that sort of stopped at exams and never picked up in the summer!

Yeah vocab is my current weakness, I've done quite a lot of grammar, so I have a vague knowledge of the tenses, particles etc. but not much knowledge of basic vocab.

Yeah I'm sure it will, especially when I'm with people who have taken it for A level :frown:

Thanks for your help! I will be finding you on the first day and not leaving you until you've taught me all the Japanese you know. (Just kidding...)

Hahaha :p: I won't complain - it will give me someone new to get to know :biggrin: ! I intend to keep up with my Japanese whilst at Cambridge and to take the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) this December.

Vocabulary is my weakest area too :frown: .

I didn't like JFPB - much better in my opinion is the Genki series. JFPB is too business orientated rather than being of general use. Once you have a decent grasp of Japanese you might want to try Minna No Nihongo - a textbook entirely in Japanese but I'm told it's very, very good to learn from.
Reply 265
chris1200
Haha cool, I'll be a total loser and be like 'hey simba - oh wait this isn't some stupid forum, this is real life'...

That's cool then, which level are you up to? Yeah I've seen both of those, and I think the latter is used as the SOAS textbook. Oh well, no point in buying anything new now lol. I have the Camb textbooks after all! :P

For writing/reading I am probably somewhere between JLPT3 and JLPT4 level at the moment. For listening/speaking I am below JLPT4 level (no one to practise with).

And don't worry about calling me Simba :p: - a lot of people do in real life anyway. I'm hopeless with names myself hahaha :p: ... My real name is Chris too, but a lot of people just stick to Simba hehe :wink: .
Reply 266
chris1200
Chris is a very, very cool name.

Only the best :cool:

Heheh :wink: check your TSR private message box :biggrin: .
Reply 267
Simba
Ken: I took it a year early too, got S, 1 on STEP II and III respectively :smile: .

Also, about learning Japanese, here is a nice greeting/introduction:

はじめまして。私はケンです。どうぞよろしくお願いします。私のせんもんはすうがくです。

Pronounced: "Hajimema****e. Watashi wa Ken desu. Doozo yoroshiku onegai shimasu. Watashi no senmon wa suugaku desu."

Meaning: "Nice to meet you. I'm Ken. Please be kind to me/please favour me. My degree subject is maths."

Disclaimer: The above might not be entirely correct :p: - I self-teach Japanese and I'm not very good!

Edit: Hmm, it messes up the Japanese slightly when I submit the post, and censors the pronunciation :o: :p: ...

Very nice Simba:biggrin: . I dont know my name has a japanese meaning. Hope to see you soon , you two Chris :woo:
Reply 268
In for maths :smile: See you all there.
Reply 269
Hello, Philosophy Fresher, though strangely it seems the only one (according to that letter we got sent) when normally there are 4 or 5 of us.
Great to see other Japanese-learners in Cambridge! I want to continue learning Japanese while in Cam, I'll have to look around the Language Center.
Does anyone know when we are going to receive information about Accommodation and etc? Thanks!
Reply 272
Any of you guys do engineering at Trinity?
Reply 273
Anyone get the accomodation details this morning? I'm on Angel Court (:woo: ) anyone with me?

Sooo excited. :biggrin:
Reply 274
Qlick
Anyone get the accomodation details this morning? I'm on Angel Court (:woo: ) anyone with me?

Sooo excited. :biggrin:

I'm in Angel Court too! My sheet doesn't say what type of room it is, but considering my rent is around £700 per term, I'm assuming it's the basic bedsit, with access to a shared bathroom.
Does anybody know what the gyp room/kitchen facilities are like in Angel Court? And roughly how many people share a bathroom?
Reply 275
chris1200
The inventory sheet will tell you what type of room it is :smile:

The inventory sheet has what's in the room, but does not label it any particular type of room. I guess though that as it's one of the cheapest, and I'm sharing bathroom facilities, it's just a normal single room :smile:
Reply 276
ah, I see what you meant now, thanks :smile:
Reply 277
The 'silly fire regulations' apply to the older parts of college, like Great Court and New Court, which no longer have hobs. Happily for you, Wolfson was renovated a couple of years ago and therefore not only has hobs but also ovens! Same is true of Blue Boar I I think. I am not sure of the cooking facilities in Blue Boar O or in Angel Court, should anyone be wondering...
Reply 278
chris1200
I only said 'silly' because the guide referred to them as "ridiculous fire regulations" and I obviously believe every word of it. :smile:

That's brilliant news though! Thanks for that :smile:

Sorry I thought you were quoting TCSU directly with the 'silly' bit!! But I do agree with them, it basically means large parts of the college are only allowed microwaves which is pretty basic.
Reply 279
Have you all got the offer letter and accommodations? I've received anything yet. I'm in Vietnam so may be it takes long time to be there but do you know when they sent the pack?
Thanks a lot

Latest

Trending

Trending