The Student Room Group

McGill, UBC or U of T for Finance?

Which can you guys say is the best in Undergraduate programs for Finance?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm might be a little biased, but U of T.
Original post by Desmodus04

I'm actually not sure about this. All three are pretty much on par with one another.

I would say UBC or U of T in my opinion.
Reply 3
What makes you guys say that the schools you've mentioned are great?

Btw, I am interested in working in the USA or Asia if I am not satisfied with life in Canada

All 3 schools are excellent; I'm not sure which one would be "the best" since that is subjective and different people will give you different answers.

However, regardless of whether it is the best or not, I would recommend going to U of T if you are specifically interested in Finance, just because of its location. Toronto has more opportunities in Finance (with banks, hedge funds, investment consultancies, etc...) than Montreal or Vancouver. That's not to say if you go to UBC or McGill you won't be able to find jobs in Finance; it's just I think U of T would have more ties to this specific industry because it is located in the heart of Toronto (well their main campus is anyway).

And you do know that you won't be able to work in the US right after attending uni in Canada?? Unless you are American or hold a work permit (visa, green card). So better think twice before going to Canada if you think you might "not be satisfied with life in Canada" as you say
Reply 5
I'm actually looking more into U of T and McGill.

In terms of reputation, which among O of T and McGill is much more looked up to? Also, since I can only speak English, if ever I study in McGill, will it disadvantge me from getting a part time job since I would rely on the money earned heavily.
I'm actually looking more into U of T and McGill.

In terms of reputation, which among O of T and McGill is much more looked up to? Also, since I can only speak English, if ever I study in McGill, will it disadvantge me from getting a part time job since I would rely on the money earned heavily.

Both have excellent reputation in North America. In Europe, they tend to be a little less known. I went to McGill and I'm doing a Masters in London now and most people at my uni know McGill and know it's a great school. However, not sure about finance program reputation.

In Montreal, you would have a difficult time finding a job if you can't speak french fluently (apart for on-campus jobs at McGill).

Original post by Bustenhalter
What about working in Canada, do international students usually get to stay back once they are done with their studies in a Canadian university?

For international students, once you finish your studies at a Canadian university, you can apply for a work visa which entitles you to legally work in Canada for 2 years (or maybe it's 3; not 100% sure). Then, that visa is renewable if your employer sponsors you. However, if by the end of the 2 years, you're not employed, then your visa won't be renewed and you'll pretty much be forced to get out of the country...
Reply 7
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Both have excellent reputation in North America. In Europe, they tend to be a little less known. I went to McGill and I'm doing a Masters in London now and most people at my uni know McGill and know it's a great school. However, not sure about finance program reputation.

In Montreal, you would have a difficult time finding a job if you can't speak french fluently (apart for on-campus jobs at McGill).

I see. Will language barrier really serve as an issue for an international like me?
Reply 8
Also, do you guys think that studying in Toronto(U of T) would be an advantage due to the companies found in the city or will the prestige brought by McGill compensate for it?
I see. Will language barrier really serve as an issue for an international like me?

Also, do you guys think that studying in Toronto(U of T) would be an advantage due to the companies found in the city or will the prestige brought by McGill compensate for it?

I see you left me a message on my wall: "i'd like to know more about the two schools in general: U of T and McGill"

OK, first of all, you have to be more specific about what it is exactly you would like to know. I can talk for hours about McGill and Montreal. I'm happy to help and offer advice but "talking in general about McGill" is a waste of time for me...

Regarding the language barrier in Montreal and how U of T compares to McGill... Well, these two topics have already been covered in dozens of threads in this forum.

As I said before, I don't know too much about finance programs (I'm an engineer). I did have two good friends who went through the Desautels faculty of management (which is where you would go if you choose to do finance at McGill). One did accounting (and is now working at E&Y) and the other did marketing (and is at another school in Vancouver now). They both really liked it. Also, they don't speak french, but never had problems since everybody in downtown Montreal is bilingual.

Finally, I highly doubt that McGill's faculty of management is more prestigious than U of T's. Maybe the McGill name is better known in Europe, but both are excellent schools.

If you have more questions about McGill and/or Montreal, I'll be happy to answer them. But be specific.
(edited 12 years ago)

If you have more questions about McGill and/or Montreal, I'll be happy to answer them. But be specific.

I'm gonna jump in here, what rez did you live in 1st year?
Original post by Ishamo
I'm gonna jump in here, what rez did you live in 1st year?

Mcconnell Hall! And before you ask, yes it was awesome :smile:
Mcconnell Hall! And before you ask, yes it was awesome :smile:

Ah nice, I was thinking either upper or Douglas... so the hill wasn't too much of an issue? :wink:
Haha no you get use to the hill after a while.. Also, it gets really fun when University St is covered in snow and ice and you have to go all the way down the hill...Good times!
I would definitely recommend upper rez, it was my first choice and I don't regret it at all. Although, in my case there were fewer choices back in the day (4.5 years ago, man I feel old...). I wanted to live close to campus so it only came down to upper rez, douglas hall and new rez. Back then, RVC was female-only and McGill had not taken over the Carrefour Sherbrooke residence yet.

Douglas hall (aka Hogwarts) is nice but a bit apart from the other 3 residences on the hill (they have their own caf) so they were segregated from the rest of us who would all meet up in BMH (the round building in the middle) for our meals.

I thought you were at McGill right now.. So you're starting next September then?
Reply 14
@chad_bro_chill

In terms of opportunities, will U of T be better since it's in Toronto or is McGill's prestige a big factor playing in as well?
Haha no you get use to the hill after a while.. Also, it gets really fun when University St is covered in snow and ice and you have to go all the way down the hill...Good times!
I would definitely recommend upper rez, it was my first choice and I don't regret it at all. Although, in my case there were fewer choices back in the day (4.5 years ago, man I feel old...). I wanted to live close to campus so it only came down to upper rez, douglas hall and new rez. Back then, RVC was female-only and McGill had not taken over the Carrefour Sherbrooke residence yet.

Douglas hall (aka Hogwarts) is nice but a bit apart from the other 3 residences on the hill (they have their own caf) so they were segregated from the rest of us who would all meet up in BMH (the round building in the middle) for our meals.

I thought you were at McGill right now.. So you're starting next September then?

ahh decisions, decisions! ha. Yeah that's right I'm starting next September, currently on a gap year. What did you major in?

Also, in terms of walking... how far is it from upper/Douglas to main campus? RVC does appeal for being able to fall out of bed into class :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ishamo
ahh decisions, decisions! ha. Yeah that's right I'm starting next September, currently on a gap year. What did you major in?

Also, in terms of walking... how far is it from upper/Douglas to main campus? RVC does appeal for being able to fall out of bed into class :P

I majored in chemical engineering so my building (Wong) was really close to upper rez (since it's on the Northeast corner of the campus). It took me 6-7 minutes to go to class. However, some of my friends who were in the faculty management took more than twice as much time since the Desautels building is completely the opposite direction (southwest corner, on Sherbrooke)... so it really depends on which building you're going to. From upper rez to the main arts building (roughly the center of campus) I'd say it's about 10-12 minutes.

What are you going to be studying? Are you entering at U0 or U1?
I majored in chemical engineering so my building (Wong) was really close to upper rez (since it's on the Northeast corner of the campus). It took me 6-7 minutes to go to class. However, some of my friends who were in the faculty management took more than twice as much time since the Desautels building is completely the opposite direction (southwest corner, on Sherbrooke)... so it really depends on which building you're going to. From upper rez to the main arts building (roughly the center of campus) I'd say it's about 10-12 minutes.

What are you going to be studying? Are you entering at U0 or U1?

I'll be going into U1 (I did IB) majoring in probably PolSci. I think I'm going to put rez in:
1. Doug
2. RVC
3. the uppers

Unfortunately I know singles in Douglas and RVC go fast to the scholarship winners.
Original post by Bustenhalter
how is Imperial College London/LSE percieved in Canada to graduate employers and in general?

In general, not many people know of UK universities in Canada. Oxford and Cambridge are the most known, and even then I'd say a large amount do not know what they are.

Within universities though, more people know about the good UK universities. When I applied to Imperial and UCL, the two professors at McGill I asked for references knew they were good universities. But a lot of my friends had never heard of either, especially the north americans. The international students (particularly europeans and asians) knew about Imperial though.

For employers, it's pretty much the same. The average canadian would not know about them, so most of my colleagues at my summer internship did not know what and where Imperial College was. But my 2 supervisors, who had some international work experience, did know and seemed impressed when they learned I was going there. So I think it really comes down to people's global awareness. A canadian who's never left the continent and is not "open internationally" (if you get what I mean) would not know Imperial/LSE...

Plus, it's a culture thing. Canadians tend to care much less about the prestige of universities compared to Americans and English people. Just by telling them you went to school in the UK, they'll be impressed, regardless of the uni, because it's so unusual in Canada to go that far to attend uni...

Hope that answers your question. I just realized maybe you were trying to ask if it would give you an advantage for graduate job applications, and the answer is that the name of the university would not, but I think the fact that you had a degree from a UK university definitely would.
I.e. IN CANADA, I don't think a degree from Imperial/LSE would help you significantly more than a degree from Uni of Liverpool (or some other random UK university) because 90% of Canadians would not know the difference in academic standing between the 2... (I'm talking for grad positions in Canada btw, it might be different if you're trying to go for a PhD)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
I see you left me a message on my wall: "i'd like to know more about the two schools in general: U of T and McGill"

OK, first of all, you have to be more specific about what it is exactly you would like to know. I can talk for hours about McGill and Montreal. I'm happy to help and offer advice but "talking in general about McGill" is a waste of time for me...

Regarding the language barrier in Montreal and how U of T compares to McGill... Well, these two topics have already been covered in dozens of threads in this forum.

As I said before, I don't know too much about finance programs (I'm an engineer). I did have two good friends who went through the Desautels faculty of management (which is where you would go if you choose to do finance at McGill). One did accounting (and is now working at E&Y) and the other did marketing (and is at another school in Vancouver now). They both really liked it. Also, they don't speak french, but never had problems since everybody in downtown Montreal is bilingual.

Finally, I highly doubt that McGill's faculty of management is more prestigious than U of T's. Maybe the McGill name is better known in Europe, but both are excellent schools.

How much was your tuition when you were still in McGill?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending