Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, from what I've read recently EU students aren't eligible for maintenance loans or grants, which unfortunately isn't specified too clear on the govern's website.

So, could anyone please give a clear answer about if that is true or false and what other loans/grants is an EU student eligible for?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupe^^)
    Hello, from what I've read recently EU students aren't eligible for maintenance loans or grants, which unfortunately isn't specified too clear on the govern's website.

So, could anyone please give a clear answer about if that is true or false and what other loans/grants is an EU student eligible for?

thanks.
    It is true. European students are NOT eligible for maintenance loans or grants. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    It is true. European students are NOT eligible for maintenance loans or grants. Sorry.
    Too bad, it means I'm gonna have probably some hard times. But, isn't there any other loan/grant I could apply for? It doesn't matter if it's lower than the ones for UK residents, it would be helpful anyway. Please spare some details if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Too bad, it means I'm gonna have probably some hard times. But, isn't there any other loan/grant I could apply for? It doesn't matter if it's lower than the ones for UK residents, it would be helpful anyway. Please spare some details if you can.
    I hate being the one bringing dark news but, as far as I know there are no grants/loans you can apply for unless you have lived here for 3 years. Where are you from? Maybe your government gives some help to students abroad? :/

There is only one "grant" you could get even if you have not lived here 3 years but it requires from you to not being student. It is the Jobseeker allowance. But you cannot get it because you are student and they assume you get grants from the government.

Your last resort would be open a student account that gives you up to 3000 pound no interest overdraft.

Try to get a job!

ReputationRep:
    I live in Romania, and I know I can't get grants/loans from the gov. I was wondering about other bursaries for special achievements maybe?
    And of course, I'm planning to get a job, but studying full-time, I'll only be able to work part time and I don't know if that's gonna suffice

Your last resort would be open a student account that gives you up to 3000 pound no interest overdraft.
    That would be great, but do i have to get it from a bank directly? And could I get it even if my residence isn't in the UK?

Thank you for the info!

ReputationRep:
    I live in Romania, and I know I can't get grants/loans from the gov. I was wondering about other bursaries for special achievements maybe?
    And of course, I'm planning to get a job, but studying full-time, I'll only be able to work part time and I don't know if that's gonna suffice

That would be great, but do i have to get it from a bank directly? And could I get it even if my residence isn't in the UK?

Thank you for the info!
    Yes, most universities do that. But is for SPECIAL achievements, in others words, you must be the NUMBER ONE. And that is difficult if you are combining studies and work.
    It depends whether you live at halls (expensive) or private accommodation (cheap). But again, living at halls might get you loads of contacts (quite important if you wanna get jobs relatively easy). You have to budget. If you live in Kent which I think is cheaper than London, accommodation will be cheaper too but you might struggle finding jobs with the economy so damaged.

Regarding the bank loan, yes. You have to apply for one, they might ask for a guarantor (someone that can back you up in case you cannot pay the loan back). It might be a bit difficult if you apply for a loan and your residence is not in the UK, but again you can go to a bank in your country and apply there. Maybe try both and see which one suits you?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.