Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, my bro needs a new netbook on a 230 budget, something that can do light gaming - games such as San andreas, CS and TF2

I've looked around and narrowed it to 2 options, both are secondhand or refurbished on ebay. The ASUS N10J or the HP Mini 311

ASUS N10J-HV009G
    Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6Ghz
    2gb Ram
    250GB SATA HDD
    nVidia GeForce 9300M GS 256Mb
    10.2" Widescreen SWVGA Glare screen - 1024x600
    Windows Vista Ultimate

HP Compaq Mini 311C-1101sa

Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6Ghz
    1gb Ram*
    160GB SATA HDD
    nVidia ION LE
    Windows XP home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAres)
    Right, my bro needs a new netbook on a 230 budget, something that can do light gaming - games such as San andreas, CS and TF2

I've looked around and narrowed it to 2 options, both are secondhand or refurbished on ebay. The ASUS N10J or the HP Mini 311

ASUS N10J-HV009G
    Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6Ghz
    2gb Ram
    250GB SATA HDD
    nVidia GeForce 9300M GS 256Mb
    Windows Vista Ultimate

HP Compaq Mini 311C-1101sa

Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6Ghz
    1gb Ram*
    160GB SATA HDD
    nVidia ION LE
    Windows XP home
    Netbooks can't game well, at all. Unless you want to spend upwards of £600 on an ultrabook, the frame rate isw going to be crippling. Plus who wants to game on a 10" display?

The processor in those machines is over 3 years old now, both are terrible value. This Asus has a newer, dual core processor, which will run a hell of a lot smoother. £8 over budget, but you don't want to comprimise on the processor.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, seems better, Ebuyer seem better than ebay too since i'm ordering my new pc build from there

ReputationRep:
    refurbished = bit of a polish

Be careful what you buy from E-bay.

Are you sure a Netbook is what you want? It will be like playing a flash game...

ReputationRep:
    a cheap laptop or netbook that can run San Andreas and counter strike: source, 10.2" doesn't bother him

ReputationRep:
    I feel that Asus is better than HP with the configuration what you have given above.

I doubt whether you can play games on it or not.

ReputationRep:
    i feel the ASUS is better, i have no idea about the ION LE whereas i know that the 9300M GS will be better than my bro's old GMA 950

ReputationRep:
    My mate bought one of those £200 Samsung Netbooks about a year ago, and we got GTA 3 going on it.

If you can be bothered to look up the specs I'm sure the ones you've mentioned are better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourskin)
    My mate bought one of those £200 Samsung Netbooks about a year ago, and we got GTA 3 going on it.

If you can be bothered to look up the specs I'm sure the ones you've mentioned are better.
    My HP mini 110 can run GTA 3 too. Loved it. you should get Vice city as it's pretty much the same graphics.

OFFTOPIC: Nice name btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAres)
    My HP mini 110 can run GTA 3 too. Loved it. you should get Vice city as it's pretty much the same graphics.

OFFTOPIC: Nice name btw
    Thank you for the name comment. I'll get Vice City going on my current laptop at some point.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.