What was your favourite hostel - and why? Watch

Origami Bullets
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It can be anywhere in the world, but I'm stuck between two -

- The Asylum, Cairns, Australia
Stupidly cheap, and ridiculously friendly - as soon as I walked through the door with my backpack on, another resident was inviting me out on their "Mad Monday" bar crawl. There's nothing quite like singing "my name is Jack, I am a necrophiliac" whilst wearing a t-shirt that declares you be an inmate of the asylum, and then ending up in the notorious Woolshed.

- Ringo's Foyer Guest House, Melaka, Malaysia
A tiny, non-descript little hostel, except for the owner, Howard. He takes all of his residents out to dinner every night, showing you places that you'd never find otherwise, where you're often the only Westerner. He also organises bike tours and loans out bikes, and he generally can't do enough for his customers - he even drove me to the bus station when I left.

What were your favourite hostels?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'll quote what I put in my OP on here;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1651298

My favourite was probably La Casa Roja in Santiago, Chile, because it was a converted historic mansion so had lots of atmosphere and tons of space, and the building itself was very nice of course - lots of wooden panelling for example. The staff were friendly, as were the other people in the dorms, the internet was cheap, they had a little pool and a cocktail bar in the garden but it was a nice relaxed hostel, not filled with horrendously drunk and noisy people. The area of the city it was in was nice too. They had a massive kitchen for self-catering but also offered cheap but lovely breakfasts.

My runner-up would be Vila Carioca, Rio de Janeiro. Again, it was a very relaxed place, not a loud partying hostel, though everyone seemed approachable and would chat and eat for hours in the courtyard outside and around the TV in the big lounge/eating area/reception inside. It was in the very nice area of Botafogo, out of the way of Copacabana and Ipanema and Centro. I loved the arty feel to the place, and like La Casa Roja the internet was cheap and the staff were lovely.

Although not technically a hostel, I would give an honourable mention to the South Seas Private Hotel in Suva, Fiji (after all, they did have a couple of dorms there, unlike usual hotels, and it was as cheap as a hostel). It was made entirely out of wood and I think is the oldest hotel not just in Fiji but other Pacific islands as well. We had almost the entire place to ourselves which was cool. It had an interesting atmosphere due to the wooden structure and all the spears and other artifacts, framed vintage 'Travel to the South Seas' airline posters and photographs of old Fijian characters on the walls. I loved it.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Centervalencia in Valencia, durr!
Stayed in a four-bed dorm for about 10 € a night, not only kudos there but it was spotlessly clean and the breakfast and common room were ample. Very central as well. No alcohol allowed but seeing as I was there in January I wasn't too bothered

Meininger's in Munich
Big place, quite weird that I liked it here since although I like big places smaller ones have a better effect on me, but again was clean, and I liked the fact nobody checked the breakfast payment cards so I grabbed four and a half euros worth of amazing breakfast for free every day! Bar was quite good as well, I like hostels with bars.

Home in Lisbon
Hostelworld has Lisbon at the very pinnacle of hostelling standards as a city, easy to see why. Staff were amazing, one local took us out to Bairro Alto when he finished his shift! Massive common room, comfy chairs, communal guitar, such a homely feel.

Makuto in Granada
Fantastic, fantastic place in the Albayzín hillside district of Granada. Reception opened out onto a garden with hammocks, a tree house and a cubby hole. Atmosphere fantastic, a real buzz during summer evenings. Got offered work there because of my Spanish and gutted I couldn't take it up because I was going back to England in less than a week. Only gripe was the triple bunks. Too hot, but I was hardly sleeping!

Mentions go to L Hostel (RIP, weird because the website is still completely intact) in New York, admittedly expensive and before I got a full heads up on hostel pricing, but atmosphere was great, rooms were huge and clean; and Pop in Madrid, the single beds and clean bathrooms worked wonders.
Last edited by rockrunride; 6 years ago
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mama's hostel, Krakow, Poland.

Once Voted hostel of the year and for good reason. The negatives is that the location is so central that there's a lot of noise at night from the street, and there's no bar.

Best hostel for the social side I stayed at is Van Gogh in Brussels. It's big, has a bar serving beers at 1euro, pool table....it takes some commitment to want to leave the bar for the rest of Brussels.
steve_lewis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Hans Brinker Budget Hotel in Amsterdam. The title says it all! Cheap and no nonsense. Good times.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (1107)
90.37%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (118)
9.63%

Watched Threads