Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    i'm starting a gym membership next week and wanted to sort out nutrition

i'm quite fit but dont have a lot of muscle

11 stone
    6 foot 2

I'd like to build muscle and have looked at exercises to do but was wondering what sort of food i need to be eating

also do i need to buy protein powder and if so can anyone recommend a cheap one! is this any good? http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products...rotein#reviews

thanks for any help

(not really looking to gain fat but maybe this isn't realistic?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muninn)
    Protein powder is pretty much useless, the only situation in which I can see a use for it is if you're someone who just eats fruit smoothies all the time.

No human will ever require more than 100g of protein per day (most will need considerably less, from 30-60g)
    , and that is easily obtained through food considering you'll be eating more in order to have a calorie excess anyway.

Whole grains and pulses are the key to good general nutrition and aren't specific to 'gym', if you base your diet around them then you'll have more than enough protein to keep up with any kind of muscle gain that is humanly possible and at the same time you'll be getting lots of vitamins, minerals and EFAs.
    You don't know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Ok maybe I was a bit extreme with 'no human', but the OP for example will almost certainly gain no benefit from consuming more than 100g of protein per day and neither will the majority of people. Anyway my point was that you don't need to take protein powder in order to reach 300g+ of protein per day, when you can easily reach 100g~ through normal eating.
    ok, so what sort of foods/meals would you recommend if i want to gain muscle?

ReputationRep:
    Ok maybe I was a bit extreme with 'no human', but the OP for example will almost certainly gain no benefit from consuming more than 100g of protein per day and neither will the majority of people. Anyway my point was that you don't need to take protein powder in order to reach 300g+ of protein per day, when you can easily reach 100g~ through normal eating.
    It would probably help him a lot with gaining muscle and with his overall body composition, as it would do for the majority of people. Why are you randomly bringing up 300g+ of protein a day :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Basically anything with complex carbs, protein and other essential nutrients.

Some favourite meals which match that criteria and also taste nice:

Porridge
    Chili (use kidney beans, and serve with brown rice)
    Lentil and wheat germ burgers (really nice, cheap and convenient too)
    Lentil curry (with brown rice)

Of course for the above you use spices and incorporate your favourite vegetables into them, you don't need to eat a bowl of boring beans with rice by itself to eat healthy.

Lots of people swear by tuna also, and there's some people who believe that eating creatine directly (rather than waiting for your body to synthesise from the amino acids) is beneficial to muscle gain, if this is true then it supports eating tuna as it's a good source of it and it can't be obtained through plant sources.

I mention 300g because often people tend to forget that every day foods can contain large amounts of protein and they don't even count them towards their total intake and end up consuming 100g+ extra protein directly from powder which can result in such obsurd numbers. I've often heard "it doesn't count as protein since it's not a full one" when people talk about bread, rice and other such things. There are plenty of studies which suggest that there is a fairly low cut off point at which increasing protein intake is no longer effective, though 'protein powder' is big business after all =)

ok thanks for your ideas they're helpful. not sure about the amount of protein you said though. think i read its much higher than 60g

ReputationRep:

I mention 300g because often people tend to forget that every day foods can contain large amounts of protein and they don't even count them towards their total intake and end up consuming 100g+ extra protein directly from powder which can result in such obsurd numbers. I've often heard "it doesn't count as protein since it's not a full one" when people talk about bread, rice and other such things. There are plenty of studies which suggest that there is a fairly low cut off point at which increasing protein intake is no longer effective, though 'protein powder' is big business after all =)
    I really don't see how someone can accidently end up consuming as much as 300g of protein a day, even if they do take in 100g of protein directly from powder (which in itself is a hell of a ****ing lot).

Bread and rice hardly have much protein in them at all, I hope they weren't the everyday foods that can contain large amounts of protein that you were referring to :erm:

Link to the studies. And no longer effective for what? For people who haven't got (m)any athletic goals of course it won't be effective for their non existent goals...

ReputationRep:
    what about something like this?

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products...rotein#reviews

and how often should i take the above product and when?

assuming i go to the gym 4 times a week

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Impact whey is fine, but I'd look at ways of improving your diet first before buying whey for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Impact whey is fine, but I'd look at ways of improving your diet first before buying whey for the sake of it.
    ok thanks, improve my diet as in reduce calories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnkean)
    ok thanks, improve my diet as in reduce calories?
    As in make good food choices, that doesn't necessarily mean reducing calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    As in make good food choices, that doesn't necessarily mean reducing calories.
    ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Diet
    Exercise
    Supplements

Key to putting on muscle

You need to sort the diet out first, so have a good breakfast, loaded with complex carbs, I usually have a banana and a bowl of porridge with milk. I usually have a shake then.

Mid morning have a snack, some nuts or something which would be good as an energy source.

For lunch, have a protein rich meal, maybe 3 eggs with brown bread? Or some ham/tuna.

For dinner, have a decent sized meal. A normal balanced meal, some carbs, some protein, some fat etc.. so pasta/rice with chicken/meat/fish. I usually split it into two meals to help with keeping the metabolism levels high.

In the evening before going to bed, I have a pint of milk with 3 eggs mixed in and a bit of sugar for taste, I tried peanut butter in there but it didn't go too well but that should give your protein counter a boost, plus the milk has casein which is a slow release protein so would be good whilst you sleep to help feed them hungry knackered muscles.. leading to growth.

Exercise, focus on compound exercises, so flat bench press, squats, deadlifts, military press, wide grip pull ups and clean and press (When you're more advanced) Go for 3 set of 6-8 at 80% of your one rep max.. will be a struggle but push through it!

Supplements, start off on whey, myprotein whey impact should be fine to start off with, I tried it and found it worked well, reviewed it over at http://www.supplementjudge.net/mypro...rotein-review/ if you're interested.

And remember, to put on weight, you need to have the right amount of protein, so have a look at http://www.supplementjudge.net/daily...ke-calculator/ and see what you would need to take per day.

Hope that helps and good luck buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snoodle)
    Diet
    Exercise
    Supplements

Key to putting on muscle

You need to sort the diet out first, so have a good breakfast, loaded with complex carbs, I usually have a banana and a bowl of porridge with milk. I usually have a shake then.

Mid morning have a snack, some nuts or something which would be good as an energy source.

For lunch, have a protein rich meal, maybe 3 eggs with brown bread? Or some ham/tuna.

For dinner, have a decent sized meal. A normal balanced meal, some carbs, some protein, some fat etc.. so pasta/rice with chicken/meat/fish. I usually split it into two meals to help with keeping the metabolism levels high.

In the evening before going to bed, I have a pint of milk with 3 eggs mixed in and a bit of sugar for taste, I tried peanut butter in there but it didn't go too well but that should give your protein counter a boost, plus the milk has casein which is a slow release protein so would be good whilst you sleep to help feed them hungry knackered muscles.. leading to growth.

Exercise, focus on compound exercises, so flat bench press, squats, deadlifts, military press, wide grip pull ups and clean and press (When you're more advanced) Go for 3 set of 6-8 at 80% of your one rep max.. will be a struggle but push through it!

Supplements, start off on whey, myprotein whey impact should be fine to start off with, I tried it and found it worked well, reviewed it over at http://www.supplementjudge.net/mypro...rotein-review/ if you're interested.

And remember, to put on weight, you need to have the right amount of protein, so have a look at http://www.supplementjudge.net/daily...ke-calculator/ and see what you would need to take per day.

Hope that helps and good luck buddy
    sorry took ages to reply to you.
    thanks a lot that's really helpful advice, will definitely take it on board, cheers mate!

ReputationRep:
    Protein powder is pretty much useless, the only situation in which I can see a use for it is if you're someone who just eats fruit smoothies all the time.

No human will ever require more than 100g of protein per day (most will need considerably less, from 30-60g), and that is easily obtained through food considering you'll be eating more in order to have a calorie excess anyway.

Whole grains and pulses are the key to good general nutrition and aren't specific to 'gym', if you base your diet around them then you'll have more than enough protein to keep up with any kind of muscle gain that is humanly possible and at the same time you'll be getting lots of vitamins, minerals and EFAs.
    You do no what your talking about.

The amount of grams of protein depends on your weight in lb. A man weighing 160lb will need 120-160g of protein a day.

And no, protein powder is not useless as it has the highest biological value of 100.

OP, I would suggest you do 'Starting Strength' routine (search it up)

Remember: The more you weigh up to a certain degree, the easier it is to gain muscle. Also you must increase the weight you use (in exercises) in order to see growth.

Id advise joining www.bodybuilding.com

Its a forum where you get lots of truthful knowledge and not broscience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    You do no what your talking about.

The amount of grams of protein depends on your weight in lb. A man weighing 160lb will need 120-160g of protein a day.

And no, protein powder is not useless as it has the highest biological value of 100.

OP, I would suggest you do 'Starting Strength' routine (search it up)

Remember: The more you weight up to a certain degree, the easier it is to gain muscle. Also you must increase the weight you use (in exercises) in order to see growth.

Id advise joining www.bodybuilding.com

Its a forum where you get lots of truthful knowledge and not broscience.
    thanks mate

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.