Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My old training log died. Things have changed. So I figured I'd start a new one.

For those that didn't catch my old log/don't know what I'm about, here's a little spiel:

I'm first and foremost a bodybuilder, with plans to compete in at least two shows next year. My workouts are based around the squat, bench press, deadlift and standing press and I program these with Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. A fantastic plan that forces me to get stronger but also allows me room to do all of my fancy pretty-boy bodybuilder-y stuff.

I do four 'main' workouts each week (bench/chest, squat/legs, press/shoulders, deadlift/back) and one or two 'extra' days to bring up crap bodyparts (I'm looking at you lats) or for rehab/mobility stuff.

Bilateral hip and patella tendonitis and a nasty lower back injury I picked up at work (and exacerbated with heavy rack pulls...) has forced me to re-evaluate things a little, hence the new log to keep me honest and acountable.

Current lifts:

Squat: 165
    Bench: 115
    Deadlift: 190
    Press: 75

Rep records:

Squat: 140x10
    Bench: 97.5x11
    Deadlift: 150x12
    Press: 60x10

These have not moved/gone down from my last log. This is due to the fact that I am being a pussy when it comes to heavy weights because of my lower back. I am also fat and out of shape- my bulk went too far. I got big but also slow and weak, my weight peaked at 96kg but my strength just wasn't matching my size, this is a sure sign of getting fat.

To rectify this I have commited to the BDFPA Southern Counties PLing meet on the 29th of January. I've been dieting for just over a week in order to get my weight down to 89kg to further improve my chances of not looking like a complete dumbass.

--------------------

Did cardio, abs and some low back rehab this morning, nothing exciting so I won't post details. Today is technically a rest day but I was up so figured I would put my time before lectures to good use. Bodyweight was 92ishkg.

Tomorrow is bench day. Will update then.

Cheers,

OS

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd.

ReputationRep:
    An aspiring bodybuilder needs pictures .

ReputationRep:
    Bench Day (Forgot my log so warmup %'s were a bit out)

Leading up to the meet I'm only going for max reps on the '5' week of 5/3/1. On the other weeks I'm only going for the minimum reps then doing some singles as per Wendler's recommendations for powerlifting.

Bodyweight: 90.5kg

Bench Press
    90x5
    100x3
    105x1

110x1 (this was stupid easy)
    115x1 (also easy)
    117.5x1

Incline Press
    30x12
    34x10
    40x7 *f
    42x6 *f

Dips
    15 kilo platex6 sets

reps in the 8-12 region, 4 sets to failure

Machine Press
    x20
    x8 dropset x6 *f
    x8 dropset x5 *f
    x10 dropset x6 *f

Flyes
    Some

Called it a night there.

Pics to follow as soon as I can convince my housemate to take pics of me in my pants...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck and sub'd. Still following the old diet regime for a couple of weeks or you planning to do it upto a couple of weeks before the PL meet?

ReputationRep:
    I seriously thought something completely different when I saw this title :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterPotatoHead)
    Same. You're not the only one with a filthy mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterPotatoHead)
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tango189)
    Good luck and sub'd. Still following the old diet regime for a couple of weeks or you planning to do it upto a couple of weeks before the PL meet?
    Cheers,

No, the Shelby Starnes plan is far too drastic for making weight for a PLing meet. Strength takes a massive hit when doing 40mins of HIIT per day along with a ridiculously low carb intake. I'm just cleaning up my diet a bit, and limiting carbs on off days.

Did a bit of back training today, was meant to train legs but I have just come off nights and feel like **** so I figured I'd save max effort squat day till tomorrow...

Bodyweight: 89.0kg

Did a pullup and dip superset for a warmup, three sets of five slow and controlled just to activate my lats and get some blood flowing.

One arm row supersetted with Meadows rows*
    5 sets, 3 to failure- 8-15 reps per set

Lat pulldown supersetted with cable upright rows
    4 sets, 3 to failure (tacked a dropset onto the last set of pulldowns)- 8-15 reps per set

Neutral grip cable rows
    4 sets to failure- 8-12 reps per set

(was sick at this point- today was my cheat day and I thought it was a great idea to eat a 14" pizza prior to training :rolleyes:)

----------------
    Abs

Cardio

You'll notice the general lack of compounds here. Today was an 'extra' day, I find that by making extra days predominantly isolation based I don't eat too much into my recovery and my main workouts don't suffer.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4YjAHcWrw- Meadows rows, for those that don't know what they are.

ReputationRep:
    What do you find best for delt development? Noticed mine are non existent :/

ReputationRep:
    Legs was yesterday, predominantly heavy singles on the squat. Did some higher rep stuff too. Quad dominant day.

Back Squat
    100x5
    120x5
    130x3
    145x1
    150x1
    160x1
    170x*F

100x10
    100x15
    100x10

Leg Press
    Maxed out the machine weight wise, did four sets to failure

Leg Extension
    Four sets to failure, drop set on the last set to pump out a few more reps

Hip Adducter
    Yes I did use the good girl/bad girl machine. I like it, even if I doo look a tool using it. Three sets.

(Original post by Tango189)
    What do you find best for delt development? Noticed mine are non existent :/
    Volume.

Shoulders need their own day, seriously. I had no shoulders until I gave them their own day.

Heavy standing presses and seated dumbell presses along with lots of front/side/rear delt raises work a treat. I'm training shoulders tomorrow so I'll post what I get up to.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as how finals are looming I need any excuse not to revise I figured I may as well revive my log.

Since I last posted things have been pretty eventful, both lifting an life wise. Not all of it great. I suffered a grade II hamstring tear during the last squat session before my first PLing meet and had to pull out. This has lead to some pretty severe posterior chain dysfunction and low back pain which has stopped me from deadlifting. The good news is I can still squat, so long as I'm dosed up on NSAIDs. I've adapted, but I'm still a long way from where I want to be.

Due to life-related **** I've also (as of today) pulled out of the BBing shows I planned to do over the summer. Sucks.

The focus now is on getting better and getting stronger- physically and mentally. I'll be using this thread to chart my progress and write about random **** in my blunt, ranty and often poorly grammaticized (did I just make up a word) style.

Training is revolving around the squat, press and conditioning work. Diet is pretty much whatever the hell I want. This doesn't mean I'm going to be eating crap though, I'm too used to eating well now and as a result have zero desire to eat junk. Unless I've just finished a squat session with my PLing buddies. Then we hit KFC. Like a baws.

Trained legs today. Was fun. Almost pain free for the first time since god knows when.

Following Wendler's 5/3/1 for the big lifts btw.

Squat

100x5

120x5

130x14

Leg Press

4 platesx15
    5platesx15
    6platesx8
    (triple drop)
    5platesx10
    3platesx10
    2platesx18

Machine weights are unmarked, not that I really care about the amount I'm lifting. These are proper iso exercises- the feel is what's most important.

Leg ex

x15
    x15
    x15
    x13
    x12

Leg Curl

x10
    x10
    x8
    x9

Stiff leg DL

75x10
    75x10
    75x10
    75x10
    75x10

Walking lunges

Did a whole lot of them with an empty bar. Many lols were had by those who watched me. I'm a proper spazz at the best of times when it comes to lunges but when I do them after a leg session well...

Rest intervals were kept nice and short with the assistance work (generally 30s-1m).

Cheers,

OS

ReputationRep:
    nice squatting

ReputationRep:
    Trained the press yesterday.

Press

50x5
    55x5
    62.5x12

5x50x10

N.Grip Chins

10 sets of 10

Arnold Press

3x8-12

Lat Raises

3x12

Rear Delt work

6 sets (face pulls and r. delt raises)

ReputationRep:
    Strong lifts. How long have you been running 5/3/1 for and what are your PB's on the lifts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Strong lifts. How long have you been running 5/3/1 for and what are your PB's on the lifts?
    All time best lifts were done in jan prior to my injury. They were:

Squat 180
    Bench 125
    Dead 195

I've been on 5/3/1 for just over a year. I've seen consistent steady improvement. Sure, something like smolov or shieko would have made my numbers go up more but given how hectic my life is I wouldn't be able to give those programs everything they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're natty? Also you will look tiny at 5% bodyfat

I never understand why anyone natty would want to go below 10% bodyfat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    All time best lifts were done in jan prior to my injury. They were:

Squat 180
    Bench 125
    Dead 195

I've been on 5/3/1 for just over a year. I've seen consistent steady improvement. Sure, something like smolov or shieko would have made my numbers go up more but given how hectic my life is I wouldn't be able to give those programs everything they deserve.
    Cool, what were you maxes when you started 5/3/1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    I'm guessing you're natty? Also you will look tiny at 5% bodyfat

I never understand why anyone natty would want to go below 10% bodyfat.
    Yeah, I'm natty. I am pro-steroid though, however I've made the decision that they're not for me.

As for looking tiny, not really. Tiny by geared BBing standards, sure but as I'm only 5'7"ish I can be be light but still look very muscular and broad.

In contest shape my nutritionist was expecting me to weigh around the 78kg mark, less a few kg on show day after I'd dehydrated and sodium depleted. Right now I'm sitting at about 92kg, which is where I plan to stay until I get my life back together. However, if I lose or gain weight I'm not going to **** myself. So long as I'm getting stronger and rehabbing I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Cool, what were you maxes when you started 5/3/1?
    Squat 135
    Bench 90
    Deadlift 160

Prior to 5/3/1 I did the whole 3x per week FB stuff ala Steve Reeves, Reg Park (think epic 2-3hr workouts). Great for building a foundation and shedding a **** load of blubber (I used to be super fat- like 110kg).

So, not a significant gain in the 14 or so months of being on the program. It seems that 5/3/1 will make you strong, it just takes a very long time.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.