Turn on thread page Beta

Someone very close to me has been drinking heavily for many years, and recently, January 2005, became an alcoholic. On January 30th, he went into an alcohol detox programme, and should be out on February 8th. The problem is, we've been told the alcohol may leave him with permanant brain damage. An aunt of mine went to visit him on Tuesday, and again on Thursday, but he could not remember the Tuesday visit. Is this due to brain damage, or just to the fact that he is coming off of alcohol. Before he went away to detox, he repeated things and got confused often. Please can anyone enlighten me on the seriousness of this please? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There is a syndrome called korsakoffs synrome which is a memory disorder caused by a deficiency of thiamine, Alcoholism has been found to be a cause of this and it causes memory difficulties, Especially learning new memories.

Here is some information, But if you search it should find alot more. Maybe if your really worried you could bring your concerns up with someone else?

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...s_syndrome.jsp

Thanks a lot. This could be it, because all he eats is curry. No fruit and veg, nothing. Would anybody advise whether or not a multivitamin would be of any help? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldnt know, its only a guess. But I would suppose the fact hes in detox may help it anyway, But it could be nothing. Im sure his doctor may pick up on such facts if there really is anything to worry about.

I've just found out that at detox, they're injecting him with B vitamins, so they've obviously seen this korsakoffs syndrome. We will ask whether or not to give him a multivitamin - if possible, prescribed through the NHS. Thanks for the help Hanzing, you have allayed my fears a bit. The only thing is - I looked and this Korsakoff's Syndrome may be irreversible. Still, it has only begun recently and I can only hope.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.