Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you find a part rusting, such as the brake discs or something, what should you do? Replace the part or just try to clean the rust off?

Also, I know rust will spread to every part of that piece of metal, but will it also spread to other pieces of metal that are in contact with that piece?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Rust is normal, discs are consumables and will be replaced before the rust causes any issues. If the rust is extensive, replace the discs (axle at a time). Normal surface rust will go after a bit of braking.

Body and structural rust are things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Rust is normal, discs are consumables and will be replaced before the rust causes any issues. If the rust is extensive, replace the discs (axle at a time). Normal surface rust will go after a bit of braking.

Body and structural rust are things to worry about.

Thanks but yeah its not just the discs, I have rust on the forks of my bike as well and am not sure what to do. Am worried about how far it will spread etc..

ReputationRep:
    Well general rule is you can't stop rust, you can help prevent it from spreading but it's near impossible to ever stop (even through replacing a section!)

Would advise waxoil on any non-moving parts if you don't mind it looking bad, I would advise everybody to waxoil (or similar) the underneath of their car and sills.

ReputationRep:
    Get a picture of the area up, will give an opinion on best action given the picture (may or may not be accurate to situation).

ReputationRep:
    Cheerz mate cant get a pic up at the moment. It was a small bit of rust at the front on the top of the forks. The consequence of using my bike through the winter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    Well general rule is you can't stop rust, you can help prevent it from spreading but it's near impossible to ever stop (even through replacing a section!)

Would advise waxoil on any non-moving parts if you don't mind it looking bad, I would advise everybody to waxoil (or similar) the underneath of their car and sills.
    and I would advise everyone not to waxoyl over the rust, you have to remove all the rust and replace with new metal before waxoyling.

Also don't waxoyl when it is wet for obvious reasons.

The only effective way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and weld new metal in.

ReputationRep:
    Not aware of it being such a bad thing to waxoil over dry rust (i use the term waxoil rather than the brand name since branded waxoyl isn't always used) but as you say, it's no good keeping the moisture in by doing it on wet.

ReputationRep:
    Surface rust on disc brakes just happens, as soon as you apply pressure on the pads it goes

ReputationRep:
    Kurust will turn any existing rust rock hard and should reduce it speading further - but don't use it on moving parts. I too recommend Waxoyl - you can buy big cans of it at any decent car shop, then warm it up for a few hours and paint it on the surfaces you want to protect (need to clean them well first!!). I hired a spray paint/compressor sytem for when I did my car as it's not the nicest of jobs, but if you're doing it on a bike, then it shouldn't take long at all - well worth doing in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say that, but this is a motorbike, so I don't know how it differs.
    I was also going to say that you can purchase rust-proof disks, but not sure if you can purchase them for motorbikes again :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My dads car has a bit of rust on the sills, I just use silver paint (I forget the name) which has built in rust protection, I scrape the rust of first. It looks fine because its the same colour as the car and it stops the rust.

After three years the rust hasn't spread at all, if I left it I would imagine he would need a new sill by now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 3, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.