Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain to me the funding methods used in American elections.

I'm interested in knowing how despite the legal barriers in place, large institutions, such as corporations and labour unions, are able to donate such enormous amounts to candidates.

I would also be interested to hear how Political Action Committees managed, despite the $5000 cap on funding to each candidate, to donate such enromous amounts both overall and also to individual candidates. For example in 2008 ActBlue donated $503 700 to Tim Kaine and overall donated over $57m (suggesting they donated the full amount to over 11 000 candidates). Surely they must have broken the $5000 limit somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware of such cap?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Did't they recently remove all caps on campaign funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Did't they recently remove all caps on campaign funding?
    Not that I'm aware of.

And that still wouldn't explain the levels of funding in 2008

ReputationRep:
    There are many ways around the individual cap of $2,500 per candidate, and $30,800.00 per party.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/contriblimits.shtml http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_action_committee

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.