Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had this problem since moving to uni.

When I shut down (no matter how I do it be it with software or power button) the PC sometimes never shuts down, sometimes it does.

''windows is shutting down.....''

tends to just stay there infinityely and I have to either hit reset or hit switch on my power supply.

Also, sometiems when logging back in from sleep my CPU is going haywire, spikes in usage over all 4 cores happens and my wired internet connection disappears unless I shut down and log in again.

ReputationRep:
    We have this issue with Windows XP on our desktop, sometimes it shuts down, sometimes it doesn't. Does it keep you logged on too?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in the start menu search for "performance"

Open Resources and Performance monitor and check which processes use up the CPU.

Also if you have a Windows 7 disk (retail) run setup.exe on the disk from windows itself and chose the upgrade option, it will recreate all Windows files while keeping your programs settings and files.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like it's having trouble closing one of the processes that's running in the background. If you press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to load up the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and close a few running under your username (not SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE, just to be on the safe side so you don't close any important system processes while it's still running), you may be able to narrow down what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Had this problem since moving to uni.

When I shut down (no matter how I do it be it with software or power button) the PC sometimes never shuts down, sometimes it does.

''windows is shutting down.....''

tends to just stay there infinityely and I have to either hit reset or hit switch on my power supply.

Also, sometiems when logging back in from sleep my CPU is going haywire, spikes in usage over all 4 cores happens and my wired internet connection disappears unless I shut down and log in again.
    Not sure if this will help but this was happening to me a month ago and I found out it was AbodeUpdater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Not sure if this will help but this was happening to me a month ago and I found out it was AbodeUpdater.
    Hmmm it doesn't show up.

But Java has been annoying me for a while asking to update when no download available.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.