The Student Room Group

Ive been rejected twice :(

Ive just checked track and both Nottingham and Birmingham have now rejected me. I dont understand. I was applying for psychology and got ABB in my A Levels. My head of sixth form (who is really on the ball) wrote me a brilliant reference and my personal statement was 'perfect' according to him.

This leaves me to choose between Swansea, Portsmouth, UEA and Newcastle:hmmm: Im not at all interested in Portsmouth I just put it in to make up the numbers. I dropped out of UEA cos I hated the course and now I realise I wouldnt be happy if I went back.

So I have to choose between Newcastle and Swansea:frown:. Honestly, neither of which really appeal to me at all. I like the sound of the courses but I really expected to be choosing between Birmingham and Nottingham. To make it worse it doesnt make a difference if I apply next year, my grades wont change.

Im so gutted you wouldnt believe :frown:
that sucks :frown: you could always go through clearing to see if any universities would accept you through that. You could also phone up other admissions tutors for other universities and see if they would consider your application even if you didn't go direct through UCAS, although I don't know what they would say

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
xKTx
that sucks :frown: you could always go through clearing to see if any universities would accept you through that. You could also phone up other admissions tutors for other universities and see if they would consider your application even if you didn't go direct through UCAS, although I don't know what they would say

Good luck :smile:

Cant really go through clearin cos you have to accept an offer by april, and mine are unconditional...
Reply 3
I am sorry to hear you didn't get the offer you wanted, but if you liked Birmingham and Nottingham I would seriously consider going to Newcastle. Newcastle university and its psychology department are quite good and the city is nice with good facilites. I know you must be upset, but you have to look to the future- and I don't think it is as bleak as you think.:smile:
Reply 4
How exactly should I word it though?

''Hi, all the top unis are rejecting me, and I didnt consider you when I originally applied, but what about now? I have ABB!''
Reply 5
ABB is a very good set of grades. I'd say Newcastle was the best university out of the ones you have offers from. Visit the place, you might like it. Why didn't you consider perhaps re-talking a couple of modules getting those Bs to As?
i got an offer for notts and i got predicted AAA with an offer for AAB, so definitely if you can get your grades up to AAB, you should get an offer, im quite suprised they didnt give you an offer already. ABB are very good grades, i expected those grade at AS level, and i was more than pleased if i got that.
worried_mess
Ive just checked track and both Nottingham and Birmingham have now rejected me. I dont understand. I was applying for psychology and got ABB in my A Levels. My head of sixth form (who is really on the ball) wrote me a brilliant reference and my personal statement was 'perfect' according to him.

This leaves me to choose between Swansea, Portsmouth, UEA and Newcastle:hmmm: Im not at all interested in Portsmouth I just put it in to make up the numbers. I dropped out of UEA cos I hated the course and now I realise I wouldnt be happy if I went back.

So I have to choose between Newcastle and Swansea:frown:. Honestly, neither of which really appeal to me at all. I like the sound of the courses but I really expected to be choosing between Birmingham and Nottingham. To make it worse it doesnt make a difference if I apply next year, my grades wont change.

If you havent been to Swansea to visit, I suggest you do - because i'm certain we can change your mind!
Reply 8
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time finding a uni place :frown:. Unfortunately, psych is so competitive that popular unis like nottingham are swamped with applicants, and lots of these will be predicted AAA- i've heard of people with these grades being rejected!

It's an easy mistake to make, but people often think of 'typical offers' as like entry requirements- that those are the sort of grades you need to stand a good chance of getting an offer- but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. People who get the lower ABB offers aren't the ones predicted ABB, they're the ones the uni are really desperate to have accept their offers- ie. the ones predicted AAA+.

It sounds as though you've really got your heart set on notts or bham- so have you considered taking another year out? If you get a job that's relevant to psychology, and perhaps do evening classes to improve your B's to A's, you'll really be showing your enthusiasm and might have a better chance.
Reply 9
Im sorry to hear your having such a tough time of it, as flora says psychology is highly competitive and places are fought over so it may of been a case that nottd ad birmingham had much kore applicants with hiugher predited grades, However you have good strong grades and have a good chance of a uni. If you really cant decide surely you could withdrawal your offers to the unis and so then you would be applicable to clearing? Im not to sure but you could find out if this would be an option to you. Otherwise you could take a year out, redo some modules, get work experience etc. But give the unis a check out as they may not be as bad as you think!
worried_mess

Were you offered social policy or any other related subjects. If you were take them and then try and get in the Psychology class once you get there.
Reply 11
Beatnik87
Were you offered social policy or any other related subjects. If you were take them and then try and get in the Psychology class once you get there.

my cousin was offered that at Birmingham as she didnt get on the Psychology course and she's going to accept it. Myself, I've had to rejection as well from York and now Loughborough. Although i didn't want to go to any non London unis, having not heard back from my other 4 unis at all, i'm starting to get abit worried. I haven't heard back from Birmingham myself. I'd like an offer but i dont think that i'd go if i get 2 or more London offers as this is where i want to go. Come on UCL, City & Goldsmiths! Although UCL is the place for me, that's the one i want to get an offer for the most. It's the place for me!

regards
--marty
I know Portsmouth might sound like one of those filler unis for psychology, but it is well good, I started there to study psychology this year and Im finding it really interesting, but it all depends on what you think is right for you.
Right, well I got an offer from Newcastle today :smile: so Im really happy about it, but Im just not sure if the course might be a bit TOO hard for me..
xavier2k3
my cousin was offered that at Birmingham as she didnt get on the Psychology course and she's going to accept it. Myself, I've had to rejection as well from York and now Loughborough. Although i didn't want to go to any non London unis, having not heard back from my other 4 unis at all, i'm starting to get abit worried. I haven't heard back from Birmingham myself. I'd like an offer but i dont think that i'd go if i get 2 or more London offers as this is where i want to go. Come on UCL, City & Goldsmiths! Although UCL is the place for me, that's the one i want to get an offer for the most. It's the place for me!

regards
--marty

I was offered social poicy but I was also offered Law from Essex so I decided on law
Reply 15
my friend got rejected from Nottingham uni when he had 4 A's at AS level and was predicted 3 A's at Alevel, for economics, who actually gets into nottingham uni, they reject everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending