Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok having never gone skiing before (hell never gone further than Paris before) i have no idea about clothes.

I get that i have to buy ski jacket and trousers but is there anything i need to look out for when buying them or will clothes labeled as ski wear do it (found a lovely black and red combo on ebay for bout £70 including P&P)

Also footwear, do i need any special shoes or will thich soled ankle high "walking" boots be ok. Im guessing i cant walk around the whole time in ski boots (which im hiring)

Any info would be great

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    I get that i have to buy ski jacket and trousers but is there anything i need to look out for when buying them or will clothes labeled as ski wear do it (found a lovely black and red combo on ebay for bout £70 including P&P)
    You don't have to, but skiing trousers will definitely make your experience more pleasant, and the jkt again will increase you comfort.

Broadly speaking, yeah, anything explicitly labelled as skiwear should be ok. You get differing qualities of stuff, as you would with any product, but if you're just looking for basics then you won't go far wrong.

Also footwear, do i need any special shoes or will thich soled ankle high "walking" boots be ok. Im guessing i cant walk around the whole time in ski boots (which im hiring)
    Not really. Around the town the place should be pretty clear of snow and ice, so just a normal pair of trainers will be more than adequate, especially at that late stage in the season. By all means take them, but they're not a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You don't have to, but skiing trousers will definitely make your experience more pleasant, and the jkt again will increase you comfort.

Broadly speaking, yeah, anything explicitly labelled as skiwear should be ok. You get differing qualities of stuff, as you would with any product, but if you're just looking for basics then you won't go far wrong.

Not really. Around the town the place should be pretty clear of snow and ice, so just a normal pair of trainers will be more than adequate, especially at that late stage in the season. By all means take them, but they're not a necessity.

Cheers lad, il probably invest in something smart for the trip (and can always flog them afterward.)

Shoe wear good to know comfy trainers and shoes it is.

ReputationRep:
    Just a random thing I noticed, TODAY ONLY there is 25% off selected thermals at m&s.

Personally I like my Icebreaker and Smartwool baselayers, but they can set you back about £60 just for a very basic long sleeved top, so I like the M&S ones as a cheap alternative. They're cosy and only about £12, with the further 25% off today. Highly recommended!

As much as you feel a tit in thermal leggings, they're actually not that hideous any more, and not like stripey granny style white thermals. Definitely worth it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinkajou)
    Just a random thing I noticed, TODAY ONLY there is 25% off selected thermals at m&s.

Personally I like my Icebreaker and Smartwool baselayers, but they can set you back about £60 just for a very basic long sleeved top, so I like the M&S ones as a cheap alternative. They're cosy and only about £12, with the further 25% off today. Highly recommended!

As much as you feel a tit in thermal leggings, they're actually not that hideous any more, and not like stripey granny style white thermals. Definitely worth it!!
    Is there anything that one should look for/ avoid in thermals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Best baselayers are by far are the Helly Hansen ones, take a look on the Snow and Rock website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Not really. You can get good ones and spend a lot of money, or you can get own brand ones which won't be quite as good at the top end but will save the dosh.
    If you're going to be doing a lot of snowsports and/or generally spending a bit of time outside in the cold, then investing in some good stuff isn't the worst idea in the world. But as said, £50-60+ for one top is a bit of a stretch.

On the more budget end, just put "skiing thermals" into ebay and you'll find reasonable things for less than a tenner.

(Original post by gtcalder)
    Best baselayers are by far are the Helly Hansen ones, take a look on the Snow and Rock website
    Depends on your taste. I've found the Nike Pro Warm series and the Under Armour ColdGear better than the Hellys, and slightly cheaper. A blanket "x is better than everything else" is no good.

ReputationRep:
    it depends what time of year you go, start of the season, ie December/January is the coldest so you'll need a big coat whereas if you go in march it gets very warm so you only need a thin jacket, this is for the alps anyway if you go somewhere far north such as Canada or Norway you'll need much warmer clothing.

ReputationRep:
    Quick tip - TK MAX has loads of skii'ing equiptment for reasonable prices!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.