Turn on thread page Beta

Surveillance world watch

• View Poll Results: Increased surveillance is...
    Nothing to worry about at all
    21.21%
    Somewhat worrying but let's not overreact
    27.27%
    Scary, we should do something about it
    24.24%
    A sign that the governments of the Western world are worrying about losing power
    27.27%

ReputationRep:
    For years we've been living in a world in which most of our movements - in public - are monitored through CCTV and other surveillance techniques.

Now, surveillance is becoming increasingly difficult to escape. This latest leak by Assange's organisation Wikileaks suggests we're all, potentially, being monitored through our phones and emails.

This may seem obvious to many people. Others will say "what's the big deal?" Well, seems to me that the government are attempting to tighten their grip. The Arab Spring shows that people won't always just sit there and be exploited, they'll rise up, and in a world where natural resources are running out, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, revolution in the West seems to be growing closer.

So if you're in power, what do you do?

We've already seen excessive force at protests. Hell, we've even seen protests being stopped before they can begin. They'll use their friends in the media, of course, to paint dissidents as evil/lazy/worthless... but when that's not enough anymore, what next? Now they can track your movements anywhere you go, providing you're carrying a phone. Any conversation, unless it's face to face (and you don't have a spy in your midst) is probably being monitored.

It won't be enough to stop the inevitable, but it could result in a lot of suffering and the deaths of many innocent people.

---

Or maybe surveillance is just a harmless tool the government are using to "protect" the people? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you cover the camera on your laptop prior to having sex with the lights on and you will probably be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Heavens, this forum used to be active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falseprofit)
    Just make sure you cover the camera on your laptop prior to having sex with the lights on and you will probably be ok.
    Luckily, it broke.

ReputationRep:
    Waits for the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" brigade.

ReputationRep:
    So what if the government has access to your phone conversations? There are so many they will only listen to ones involving people who are already being watched, and unless you are doing something illegal nothing will come of it. If you are doing something illegal then you deserve to be caught. Whats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that if you check out certain books in a library, or buy them, you get flagged for the rest of your life, meaning the police can closely monitor you, we're talking books like Mein Kampf.

Source : Worked in a Library.

ReputationRep:
    All we need is another terrorist attack and we'll be swiping ID cards to get on the train. A lot of surveillance is just for crime prevention, but I'd rather there not be too much state control over what I do, say, or most importantly, question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Waits for the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" brigade.
    I never understood this argument. OK, I have but it's dumb and wrong.

Would those people be comfortable with some creepy guy standing next to them, staring at them while they eat their breakfast on the basis that they're not doing anything wrong?

Why would you not be happy with Willem Defoe watching you sleep if you've got nothing to hide? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have had enough of this monitoring I say we put a end to all this rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yarpie)
    Did you know that if you check out certain books in a library, or buy them, you get flagged for the rest of your life, meaning the police can closely monitor you, we're talking books like Mein Kampf.

Shouldn't have taken out that book about how to be more proficient at paedophilia then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    So what if the government has access to your phone conversations? There are so many they will only listen to ones involving people who are already being watched, and unless you are doing something illegal nothing will come of it. If you are doing something illegal then you deserve to be caught. Whats the problem?
    Seriously?

So if, say, something perfectly reasonable that you do on a regular basis was made illegal, you "deserve to be caught"? Who makes the laws?

I really hope you're trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yarpie)

ermmm which other books are on the watch list ?

*bear looks nervous*

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's even worse for activists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Seriously?

So if, say, something perfectly reasonable that you do on a regular basis was made illegal, you "deserve to be caught"? Who makes the laws?

I really hope you're trolling.
    Depends if the law is reasonable or not, at the moment just about all the laws in this country are reasonable. Of course if the government starts abusing its power then thats a completely different senario.

No I am not trolling, I just fail to see the problem with servailance if it reduces crime, its not as if the government can even watch all the criminals, let alone normal people like you and me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    I never understood this argument. OK, I have but it's dumb and wrong.

Would those people be comfortable with some creepy guy standing next to them, staring at them while they eat their breakfast on the basis that they're not doing anything wrong?

Why would you not be happy with Willem Defoe watching you sleep if you've got nothing to hide? :rolleyes:
    That would make me feel uncomfatable, but if I knew that they weren't going to be telling everyone I knew about what I was doing and everything was confidential then the discomfort would be irrational, but I would still feel it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dahut)
    I guess it's even worse for activists.
    It's worse for anyone who wishes to speak their mind. It's not actually that bad in the UK (yet), but take countries like China, Yemen, Syria, and even the U.S. These are places where dissent is seen by the Government as a crime, and free speech is suppressed. Give those Governments the power to track, watch, and control people, and you get a regime that can't be broken out of.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who wants a world where CCTV cameras are everywhere? I would feel a lot safer

As long as I can get changed or shower without someone looking at me then I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanadroJ)
    Am I the only one who wants a world where CCTV cameras are everywhere? I would feel a lot safer

As long as I can get changed or shower without someone looking at me then I'm happy
    I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Depends if the law is reasonable or not, at the moment just about all the laws in this country are reasonable. Of course if the government starts abusing its power then thats a completely different senario.

No I am not trolling, I just fail to see the problem with servailance if it reduces crime, its not as if the government can even watch all the criminals, let alone normal people like you and me.
    Oh yes, all current laws are perfectly reasonable. :rolleyes:

And I'm sure all future laws will be reasonable too...

I really hate the "if you haven't done anything wrong you don't have anything to hide" argument. I really hate it. It always seems to be from less... educated people as well.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.