Turn on thread page Beta

Out of body experience during meditation watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR

I've really gotten into mindfulness meditation over the past few weeks. I try to do it at least twice a day for as long as possible.

For those who do not know, mindfulness is a state of being completely aware of thoughts, feelings and physical senses/sensations without pursuing them. It attempts to reach a state of just 'being'.

Anyway, when I was meditating early I decided to become aware of time passing to attempt to focus my mind on the here and now. I pictured consciousness as being at the very cusp of the frontier of time and realised that the our consciousness is constantly trying to push this frontier forwards. I tried to subvert this by picturing myself sitting behind this frontier rather than pushing it. Just trying to let it happen rather than desperately pushing up against it.

After a while of doing this, my mind began to feel like it was raising out of my body. I could still feel my body, but it felt like everything was disproportionate and fluid. I didn't feel like I was sitting upright and it felt like my legs were both extremely far below me and rising upwards at the same time. My mind suddenly felt like it was on an empty plane. Like just an empty vast whiteness (essentially that empty vast whiteness that Neo and Morpheus go to in the Matrix when Neo is first being shown the ropes). I could feel my body still in the room in this fluid state, but my mind felt like it was sitting above our dimension. The primary sensation was a feeling of space. Not around my head, but around my mind.... no ****ing ****.

At this point, I was struck with an almost perfect clarity. As I said before, mindfulness is an attempt to be aware of thoughts and sensations in there here and now. This is incredibly difficult and usually you can only really fully pay attention to one element (e.g. a feeling in your foot or a distance noise) for a very short period of time. But when my mind was up on the plain, I felt like I could see everything. I could hear everything going on in my house and outside. I could see (or rather 'picture' or 'feel' as my eyes were closed) all of my physical body. And I could see all of my normal thoughts (these thoughts were wondering what the **** was going on).

Next I felt an intense energy. It felt like it was rushing out of my torso. I am currently trying to put a positive spin on life after a pretty rough time so I pictured this as all my past frustrations and anxieties flowing out of me. But it didn't feel like a trickle it felt like a water cannon.

I eventually floated back down from this. I still felt a little weird after it happened but right now I feel more or less normal again. It was really quite scary though. I wouldn't say it was an anxious experience but it was more of an overly intense theme park ride. I definitely wouldn't have said I felt refreshed afterwards!

Does anyone else out there meditate? Has anyone else had an experience like this - meditating or not? I used to take a lot of drugs and it felt almost like an acid trip but if you take away all of the intense confusion and replace it with (almost) perfect clarity.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't meditate, but I must admit I did enjoy reading your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)
    I personally don't meditate, but I must admit I did enjoy reading your post.
    I'm pleased! I felt like I should share it.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I have out of body experiences quite often. I meditate to restore my energy for some time, mostly between 12 and 8am every day

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it was. I often enjoy posts like this and, truth be told... I've always wanted an out of body experience. Is it entirely possible you were hallucinating (no offense, of course)? I used to have this spur of energy after drinking an insane amount of coffee xD

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it was. I often enjoy posts like this and, truth be told... I've always wanted an out of body experience. Is it entirely possible you were hallucinating (no offense, of course)? I used to have this spur of energy after drinking an insane amount of coffee xD
    Oh I would say it was DEFINITELY a hallucination. Unless my mind was literally in a different dimension

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Interesting. I have also started to meditate recently, but didn't experience anything like you did just yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EduCheese)
    Oh I would say it was DEFINITELY a hallucination. Unless my mind was literally in a different dimension
    Hahaha! I realised how stupid my comment sounded :rolleyes:

I wonder what the hallucination was caused by O.o

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha! I realised how stupid my comment sounded :rolleyes:

I wonder what the hallucination was caused by O.o
    A combination of abstract thought and letting go, I guess. I'd rather not dwell too much on the reasons to be honest
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've had an OOB experience. Not through meditating though :nah:

ReputationRep:
    There is unfortunately no such thing, but okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I've had an OOB experience. Not through meditating though :nah:
    'OOB Experience' - I like it

ReputationRep:
    ket?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EduCheese)
    A combination of abstract thought and letting go, I guess. I'd rather not dwell too much on the reasons to be honest
    Fascinating. I want to try this mindfulness! My mum does it to help deal with her anxiety. Can you listen to music (with no lyrics) while doing it?

ReputationRep:
    I get out of body experiences quite often, usually when relaxed and semi-conscious - I call them dreams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Fascinating. I want to try this mindfulness! My mum does it to help deal with her anxiety. Can you listen to music (with no lyrics) while doing it?
    Not really sure! I suppose you could still apply the same techniques. I would prefer not to because I like the idea of everything I'm hearing being the world passing around me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.