Turn on thread page Beta

Top Money-Saving Tips watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm ready to admit it. My name is Hattie and I am... a save-a-holic.

Let's hear your top tips for stretching loans.

I'm particularly obsessed with this as I'm funding myself through a PhD with no funding and no parental input. I save on everything! I get most of my food free, partly because I persuaded a lecturer to let me have a vegetable patch at the bottom of his garden so I don't pay for fruit or veg. Plus I cycle EVERYWHERE and make my own clothes or go to charity shops.

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Child ticket, saves me around £25 a week.
    66% of wages goes into a savings accounts
    Shop from suppliers who sell dirt cheap clothes (Stage before big brands buy them and sell them for loads of $$$)
    Haggled free stuff from McDonald's staff most days

That's it I think

ReputationRep:
    Check out vouchercodes.co.uk, there's plenty of different vouchers for all kinds of things. Restaurants, cinema, supermarkets, clothes shops, anything really. You just click on the one you want and get the code

Try out moneysavingexpert.com, I've used many vouchers along the way!

ReputationRep:
    definitely national express coach card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Haggled free stuff from McDonald's staff most days

Tell me more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnut)
    Tell me more
    Just build a rapport with whoever is serving you, I usually get extra medium fries.

Yesterday I just got 50% off at Foot Locker, never knew the guy. I just said, I know you get discount, here's the deal. You don't lose or gain anything from helping me, and lets be honest... you're sorted for Christmas with that huge discount....

He then said yes, I gave him £10 afterwards, so yeah he did gain £10 from me but I saved around £80, just from talking to a guy for 5 minutes..

* Fix your own bike if it breaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Just build a rapport with whoever is serving you, I usually get extra medium fries.

Yesterday I just got 50% off at Foot Locker, never knew the guy. I just said, I know you get discount, here's the deal. You don't lose or gain anything from helping me, and lets be honest... you're sorted for Christmas with that huge discount....

He then said yes, I gave him £10 afterwards, so yeah he did gain £10 from me but I saved around £80, just from talking to a guy for 5 minutes..

* Fix your own bike if it breaks
    I see...
    Some extra medium fries does sound good

ReputationRep:
    My best advice to save money is to sign up to topcashback.co.uk it's a fantastic site which gives you a certain percentage of your money back every time you buy online from famous retailers like play.com, hmv, Marks and spencers and thousands more. It also has up to date vouchers which you can print off and use in stores to save money.

Another great site for saving money is hotukdeals.co.uk this gives you the latest on vouchers, deals and freebies! Not only that but it's also updated when supermarkets make pricing errors on their system. I looked one time and there were packets of crisps in Tesco going for 1 pence! I nipped to my local and bought 20 bags

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    if you use the train a lot, and obviously are in the right age bracket, a 16-25 rail card is well worth the money. it's about £60 but saves you a third and lasts 3 years - plus if you buy it just before you turn 26 it will still be valid for three years!
    you can also get a one year card for cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustAnotherCliche)
    My best advice to save money is to sign up to topcashback.co.uk it's a fantastic site which gives you a certain percentage of your money back every time you buy online from famous retailers like play.com, hmv, Marks and spencers and thousands more. It also has up to date vouchers which you can print off and use in stores to save money.

Another great site for saving money is hotukdeals.co.uk this gives you the latest on vouchers, deals and freebies! Not only that but it's also updated when supermarkets make pricing errors on their system. I looked one time and there were packets of crisps in Tesco going for 1 pence! I nipped to my local and bought 20 bags

Hope this helps!
    Better than QuidCo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3GraphicNovels)
    Okay, I'm ready to admit it. My name is Hattie and I am... a save-a-holic.

Let's hear your top tips for stretching loans.

I'm particularly obsessed with this as I'm funding myself through a PhD with no funding and no parental input. I save on everything! I get most of my food free, partly because I persuaded a lecturer to let me have a vegetable patch at the bottom of his garden so I don't pay for fruit or veg. Plus I cycle EVERYWHERE and make my own clothes or go to charity shops.

How about you?

You poor love, I feel sorry for you wandering around in 2nd hand clothes or spending time making your own in between tending your vegetable patch so you've got enough food to see you through term time. I hope it's all worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Better than QuidCo?
    Yeah I think so. Plus this page kind of proves it http://www.topcashback.co.uk/quidco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    You poor love, I feel sorry for you wandering around in 2nd hand clothes or spending time making your own in between tending your vegetable patch so you've got enough food to see you through term time. I hope it's all worth it.
    Don't feel sorry for me - I'm happy with my lot. Growing your own food is very rewarding and relaxing too. As for second-hand clothes... you'd be surprised how much stuff gets sent to charity shops with the tags still on.

ReputationRep:
    PROTIP: Don't buy things you don't need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustAnotherCliche)
    Yeah I think so. Plus this page kind of proves it http://www.topcashback.co.uk/quidco
    Awesome! Thanks. How often do you actually find the site useful for what you are looking to buy?

(Original post by I<3GraphicNovels)
    Don't feel sorry for me - I'm happy with my lot. Growing your own food is very rewarding and relaxing too. As for second-hand clothes... you'd be surprised how much stuff gets sent to charity shops with the tags still on.
    Regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, I think it's a huge achievement to be able to do what you do. Most people are so materialistic and lazy that they could never do this. I think what you're doing will make you a more grounded person, and a happier one too!

ReputationRep:
    become a jehovah's witness so you don't participate in christmas or birthday celebratins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    PROTIP: Don't buy things you don't need.
    Absolutely! I imagine the majority of Brits have bought stuff and never use/wear it. What a waste.

(Original post by addylad)
    Regardless of what anyone else says or thinks, I think it's a huge achievement to be able to do what you do. Most people are so materialistic and lazy that they could never do this. I think what you're doing will make you a more grounded person, and a happier one too!
    Thank you. That's very kind of you to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy-lou)
    if you use the train a lot, and obviously are in the right age bracket, a 16-25 rail card is well worth the money. it's about £60 but saves you a third and lasts 3 years - plus if you buy it just before you turn 26 it will still be valid for three years!
    you can also get a one year card for cheaper
    ahhahaha xD

ReputationRep:
    Walk everywhere 4-5 miles isn't too bad with music, don't eat a lot of meat or dairy. Buy all your veg at the greengrocers and big bags of rice from the chinese shop (honestly so much cheaper!).
    Never buy new CD's, every town has a good second hand shop. And you'd be amazed how many nice clothes and good books you can find in oxfam.
    Brew your own wine, even if it's just cheap wilkos ****e it'll save you money.

Learn how to fix things, lots of free literature online. Not replaced anything i've owned since i've been at uni, and so much has broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol_Fish)
    ahhahaha xD
    That's quite scary...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.