The Student Room Group

Is there much point in going to university if I dislike studying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bromine
This part sums up exactly how I feel... so even though I'm not in a position to give advice, please know that you're not alone! :hugs:

Thanks for the :hugs:

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with your life at the moment? Got anything figured out yet?
I went to a university, and they made me hate the subject that I really wanted to learn. Now I don't even like going anywhere near the university I went. I literally avoid some areas in London. I wouldn't go to university if you don't like studying and don't have the grade for it. Even if you have the right grade, I would think carefully where I go and study.

One of my friends is studying to be a car mechanic in a local college in the South-East. Her course includes long work experience with a big car company. I don't think she has any UCAS points, but she is doing her best. She passed her college exams with flying colours.
Original post by Walkers_Man
I went to a university, and they made me hate the subject that I really wanted to learn. Now I don't even like going anywhere near the university I went. I literally avoid some areas in London. I wouldn't go to university if you don't like studying and don't have the grade for it. Even if you have the right grade, I would think carefully where I go and study.

One of my friends is studying to be a car mechanic in a local college in the South-East. Her course includes long work experience with a big car company. I don't think she has any UCAS points, but she is doing her best. She passed her college exams with flying colours.

Yeah, that's like with me and A Levels. Every subject I did, I just began to dislike by the end of the courses. They're all subjects that I'd normally like, but all this stressing about just to please some examiner for a bunch of letters on a results sheet, just urgh.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I only picked those courses very last minute whilst looking through the college prospectus but not wanting to go back to A Levels. I'm not sure I'd want to be a secretary my whole life as a career, but yeah I'd be fine doing it for a while as a first job or something. I have been applying to lots of secretary/admin jobs, but like I said, not getting any :sigh:. I'm currently waiting on Office Angels for a few jobs I've been applying to through them, and I'll also look into other agencies.

If you enjoyed the courses, you could look into the legal secretary or paralegal route with ILEX? http://www.ilex.org.uk/study.aspx
http://www.ilex.org.uk/careers/careers_home.aspx
Original post by No Future
I dislike studying, but I'm in med school, so meh.

I'm guessing you don't mind it so much though because you're actually good at it, right?
The main problem I'm having right now is the unemployment thing, which is making me quite depressed and direction-less and therefore reconsidering whether leaving education was the right thing to do at the moment. I'm next seeing my Job Centre advisor this Wednesday, when I can have a more in depth discussion about it.

But yeah, this situation I'm in is just irritating though, not having good enough academic grades to go to uni, and then being rejected from every job, apprenticeship and training course I apply to :sigh:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending