The Student Room Group

Dentistry Newcastle 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
$np
OP
Original post by braithwaite888
I had an interview on november 23rd and got my offer on november 24th but haven't had any accommodation information yet? Has anybody who has an offer received accommodation information yet?

nope i think they will send it once we choose it as firm :smile: you definetly going to newcastle?:biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by $np
anything you want :smile:
anything that interests you to do with dentistry in the news

Oh sweet, sounds good. I may bring up the reforms then. I can completely understand why the 2006 reforms haven't exactly worked. I am not really sure about what the new incentive will achieve however.
I've been reading in the BMJ about sedation, and access for all to a dentist. Kind of hope it is brought up!
Original post by Michael_10
Had an interview yesterday but haven't heard anything yet, should I take that as a rejection?

hey michael, i was at that interview yesterday as well. I haven't heard anything either, so i dont know. She did say she would contacts us today if we were in, but who knows there could be lots of reasons she hasnt contacted us yet. - Alex
Reply 63
Original post by A_L_Jackson-
hey michael, i was at that interview yesterday as well. I haven't heard anything either, so i dont know. She did say she would contacts us today if we were in, but who knows there could be lots of reasons she hasnt contacted us yet. - Alex

Hey, how were your interviews? I have one tomorrow. Totally panicking.
Original post by braithwaite888
I had an interview on november 23rd and got my offer on november 24th but haven't had any accommodation information yet? Has anybody who has an offer received accommodation information yet?

Accommodation applications open in March so you'll hear something then :smile:
Original post by Michael_10
Had an interview yesterday but haven't heard anything yet, should I take that as a rejection?

Original post by A_L_Jackson-

Hi guys, no need to worry as it can take them a couple of days. You'll most likely hear today or tomorrow if you have an offer, or you'll get a letter if you've been pooled. It's highly unlikely you'll have been rejected straight off at this point so relax :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 66
Original post by Ayshizzle

Hi guys, no need to worry as it can take them a couple of days. You'll most likely hear today or tomorrow if you have an offer, or you'll get a letter if you've been pooled. It's highly unlikely you'll have been rejected straight off at this point so relax :smile:

Good luck!

have you had an interview already at newcastle?
Original post by apply2012
have you had an interview already at newcastle?

I'm a student there :smile:
Reply 68

I'm a student there :smile:

Oh sweet, do you have any tips for the interview? I have mine tomorrow
Oh sweet, do you have any tips for the interview? I have mine tomorrow

As long as you know your personal statement well, and have read a bit about some news in dentistry then you'll be absolutely fine :smile: . The interviews here are really relaxed (almost informal at times), they just want to see you're a nice friendly person.

Good luck!
Reply 70

As long as you know your personal statement well, and have read a bit about some news in dentistry then you'll be absolutely fine :smile: . The interviews here are really relaxed (almost informal at times), they just want to see you're a nice friendly person.

Good luck!

Thank you. I've read about the Dental Reforms and a couple of BDJ articles on sedation. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

How are you finding Newcastle? What is the DentSoc like?
Thank you. I've read about the Dental Reforms and a couple of BDJ articles on sedation. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

How are you finding Newcastle? What is the DentSoc like?

Yeah that'll be fine. They don't normally ask you anything specific, it'll probably be along the lines of "So tell me about something you've read about dentistry", or something like that.

It's good :smile: LOTS of hard work though! we have our first major exams next week, not looking forward to them at all!

Dentsoc is cool, we have socials every other Friday (ish) and you get free drinks (booze and soft drinks) in the bar type thing we have in the dental school.
Reply 72
Yeah that'll be fine. They don't normally ask you anything specific, it'll probably be along the lines of "So tell me about something you've read about dentistry", or something like that.

It's good :smile: LOTS of hard work though! we have our first major exams next week, not looking forward to them at all!

Dentsoc is cool, we have socials every other Friday (ish) and you get free drinks (booze and soft drinks) in the bar type thing we have in the dental school.

Cool, sweet. Good luck for your exams.

I'm applying as Post-Grad so I can imagine the work you are doing.. i've done all of the anatomy of the human body before so I am not so worried all of that sort of stuff. I'm totally impressed by how close the school came across when I went to visit. Absolutely sold on it, hence why I don't want to mess up in teh interview.
Reply 73

I'm applying as Post-Grad so I can imagine the work you are doing.. i've done all of the anatomy of the human body before so I am not so worried all of that sort of stuff. I'm totally impressed by how close the school came across when I went to visit. Absolutely sold on it, hence why I don't want to mess up in teh interview.

What degree are you doing?

I'm a grad too! I did Medical Science at Leeds, but trust me, it hasn't actually prepared me for much of this lol. It's difficult mainly because of sheer volume, there's not much that's difficult to understand. The anatomy module in first term is horrendous, you need to know the entire contents of the head and neck, what everything does, where it's come from and where it's going, and then you need to be able to identify every single one of these structures on a cadaver (which is really annoying because things like the lingual nerve can take different routes in different people- makes it difficult to spot!).

But yeah, the course is pretty damn good. The teaching's pretty awesome (our anatomy lecturer is one of the best in the country- he's an editor of Gray's anatomy). We start clinical skills pretty early too so that breaks up all the physiology a bit.

Btw- Newcastle LOVE graduates, so you're pretty much in!
Reply 75
Original post by *Ria-L*

Original post by *Ria-L*
What degree are you doing?

Forensic Anthropology, its like human identification from skeletal elements etc, disaster victim identification, facial reconstruction. Human identification for medico-legal things, so basically we have to know absolutely everything about the human body, even pathology, with the hope that we can testify in court to state whether or not an individual is who we think they are. It's quite cool.
Reply 76

I'm a grad too! I did Medical Science at Leeds, but trust me, it hasn't actually prepared me for much of this lol. It's difficult mainly because of sheer volume, there's not much that's difficult to understand. The anatomy module in first term is horrendous, you need to know the entire contents of the head and neck, what everything does, where it's come from and where it's going, and then you need to be able to identify every single one of these structures on a cadaver (which is really annoying because things like the lingual nerve can take different routes in different people- makes it difficult to spot!).

But yeah, the course is pretty damn good. The teaching's pretty awesome (our anatomy lecturer is one of the best in the country- he's an editor of Gray's anatomy). We start clinical skills pretty early too so that breaks up all the physiology a bit.

Hahah, I can't quite rest on my morals unfortunately. Cool, that sounds good. Do you guys do cadaver dissection? I've done that with my current degree and I absolutely loved it. Or is it more pro-section based?
Forensic Anthropology

That is fascinating! How are you finding it? I know it's probably nothing like it, but I love the TV show Bones lol.

Hahah, I can't quite rest on my morals unfortunately. Cool, that sounds good. Do you guys do cadaver dissection? I've done that with my current degree and I absolutely loved it. Or is it more pro-section based?

Unfortunately we don't, as they don't have enough bodies for medics and dentists, so they give them to the medics instead.

It's pretty much all pro- section, the quality of them is pretty good though as a lot of them are done so the various layers are reflected and you can see the relationships of the various structures.

If you've come from an anatomy background you'll love it up here then, we do loads of it!
Reply 78

Did you not do that during your Med Sci degree? I thoughts Leeds would have done it. :/ I had a whole module on Head and Neck anatomy in my 2nd year and a module on Facial Development in 3rd year during Biomed Sci. Sounds like you're loving it! :biggrin:
Original post by *Ria-L*
Did you not do that during your Med Sci degree? I thoughts Leeds would have done it. :/ I had a whole module on Head and Neck anatomy in my 2nd year and a module on Facial Development in 3rd year during Biomed Sci.

We did various bits of anatomy but not much of the neck. And the anatomy we learn here is a lot more detailed too.
The course at Leeds is rubbish, they got rid of most of the anatomy modules from 2nd year onwards because they couldn't afford the teaching staff.

Cool, where are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest