Turn on thread page Beta

Genetics. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Do you think males are more likely to look like their fathers? I know that they are much more likely to be of similar height to their dads then mothers, otherwise the national height average for men and women wouldn't be as it is.
    In terms of autosomes (non-sex chromosomes), it depends on whether they gain dominant or recessive alleles from their mother or father. If they gain more dominant alleles from their mother and more recessive alleles (for the same genes) from their father, then they are more likely to look like their mother. As for sex chromosomes, as they are not homologous, whatever alleles are on the X chromosome, they will be expressed, and the alleles on the Y chromosome will be expressed also. So no, I wouldn't have thought that men are more likely to look like their father. Also the reason men are tall is because of a gene on the Y chromosome - they are not tall because their father is tall, they are tall because they are a man and therefore have the Y chromosome.

The same theory applies with females looking like their mothers?
    Again, depends on the which alleles you inherit from which parent.

Yeah I'm tired so if you don't feel like replyin to my rambling thread, don't. :p:
    You brought out the geek in me....:rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2006
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.