Turn on thread page Beta

Space colonisation will never happen watch

ReputationRep:
    The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".

Colonising the moon is often offered as an attractive solution to the overpopulation problems we will inevitably face on Earth in the future. Everyone from NASA to Prof Hawking has commented on the issue. Superficially, it seems a solid plan.

I can show this plan to be flawed and wrong with one brief thought experiment.

---

It's simple: if we were to colonise the moon, we would presumably try to make it as much like Earth as possible. Humans like surroundings they can adapt to, surroundings they're familiar with.

But consider this.

On Earth, we have tall buildings. Skyscrapers. Towers. All sorts.

Say we build a skyscraper on the colonised moon, which would be inevitable as financial districts and so on expand. Now, buildings obviously need fixed up now and then due to wear and tear.

Say our skyscraper needed some maintenance done on it. The roof, specifically. So we send someone up there to get to work.

Therein lies the problem.

If someone was to go up to the top of a skyscraper ON THE MOON, that is, a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

Even if we just don't build skyscrapers, it'd still be risky to have like tall houses and so on. So in the end, we'd colonise the moon only to present a risk EVEN GREATER than the one posed by overpopulation on Earth.

Great thinking, guys.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why you think you're smarter than Professor Hawking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".

Colonising the moon is often offered as an attractive solution to the overpopulation problems we will inevitably face on Earth in the future. Everyone from NASA to Prof Hawking has commented on the issue. Superficially, it seems a solid plan.

---

It's simple: if we were to colonise the moon, we would presumably try to make it as much like Earth as possible. Humans like surroundings they can adapt to, surroundings they're familiar with.

But consider this.

Say we build a skyscraper on the colonised moon, which would be inevitable as financial districts and so on expand. Now, buildings obviously need fixed up now and then due to wear and tear.

Say our skyscraper needed some maintenance done on it. The roof, specifically. So we send someone up there to get to work.

If someone was to go up to the top of a skyscraper ON THE MOON, that is, a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

Even if we just don't build skyscrapers, it'd still be risky to have like tall houses and so on. So in the end, we'd colonise the moon only to present a risk EVEN GREATER than the one posed by overpopulation on Earth.

Great thinking, guys.
    could just use a rope...you know tie one end to the building, one end to him

although what happens if that rope isn't tied properly :eek:

dear god... we will have Polish astronauts lost in space

ReputationRep:
    I spent more time trying to look down your avatar's shirt than I did trying to understand your post.

ReputationRep:

---

But consider this.

Great thinking, guys.
    Such retarded logic i don't even know where to begin. You talk of fixing skyscrapers on the moon because of the problems involved with the gravity there, while ignoring the biggest boundary to space travel which is the cost.

Getting there is not like biking down to the local Newsagents and there are far too many problems to solve on Earth before we can even begin thinking about colonising the moon.

But yeah great thought process bro, let me know how the Nobel Prize goes yeah?

ReputationRep:

---

But consider this.

Great thinking, guys.
    i call troll

ReputationRep:

---

But consider this.

Great thinking, guys.
    So basically the only problem you've pointed out is one that could be solved by something as simple as a harness.

Way to go.

ReputationRep:

---

But consider this.

Great thinking, guys.
    Off all the possible problems of space travel, fixing tall buildings is the biggest for you? Really?

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when you stay up late.

ReputationRep:
    Just call Bob the Builder, he can fix anything. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    main problem is that the moon is made of cheese and there is a fleet of space-mice due to arrive in 2021

ReputationRep:
    We could always support the North Koreans in bringing the moon to Earth!

ReputationRep:
    The space elevator is what we need. Once thats sorted it'll happen.

The op reminds me of something i saw on the news a while back. "travel to mars came a step closer today as we figured out that people can sit in a pretend space pod (with non of the radiation or other problems we face) for a long time."

ReputationRep:
    It'll happen. We all wanna moon walk on the moon.

also the moon dust will get in the maintenance man;s eyes.

ReputationRep:
    This is R-tarded. That's your reasoning for us never colonising space? seriously?? I mean have you never heard of a harness before?

ReputationRep:
    OP when typing that out :

ReputationRep:
    Who said anything about skyscapers? Is it a problem to live underground and have nice parks on the surface?

ReputationRep:
    The Mayan calendar ends essentially on our Roman 12/21/2012, with a prophecy that indicates the end of an era. Western (capital W not w) interpreters have taken their prophecy as an apocalyptic prophecy. However, Mayan history says that their people started as mud in their first coming. in their second coming they came as sticks. in their second coming they came as sticks. their end of calendar prophecy says the current era ends and the fifth era begins. Each era, they "level up." What's the level after humans?
    aliens
    Did you hear about the planet they discovered that's made of diamond? So we've got the end of an era, we've got a planet made of diamonds. AND we've got this discovery from OPERA that found neutrinos travelling faster than the speed of light (even if yesterday another association challenged their discovery). and on top of that, we've got NASA no longer running men to outerspace and the sending of people to space outsourced to Russia. if space ships were leaving the USA every few weeks to travel to another planet, people would notice. if spaceships were leaving Siberia every few weeks, who's going to see?
    Conclusion: Space colonisation has already occurred. OPEN YOUR EYES (i type as i literally fling my laptop into my eye socket. lord.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akuma)
    The space elevator is what we need. Once thats sorted it'll happen.

The op reminds me of something i saw on the news a while back. "travel to mars came a step closer today as we figured out that people can sit in a pretend space pod (with non of the radiation or other problems we face) for a long time."
    The earth doesn't rotate in sync with the moons orbit so there will never be something that can physically link the two.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.