Who had a growth spurt after they turned 18? (Men) Watch

Kaneki Amano
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I was much better back in college too. Looking back now I honestly have no idea how I had such thick skin. Do you know why your anxiety creeped in or was it just out of nowhere? The main thing with anxiety is that if you know and truly understand the cause of it then most (if not all) of it will go away. With the trouble you had fitting in with people I completely get that. You should try working with people who don't have a sense of humour and are a completely different age demographic to you aka pretty similar to what you went through. This didn't do too well for my brain since it also made me feel completely alone and like someone 'other' My anxiety always made me think that people were talking behind my back since I would leave the room to go 'toilet' since I never connected with them and found it painfully awkward to try engaging in conversation with them.
To find people more like yourself I'd suggest you to join clubs your interested in and meeting people through there. Since you already have a common interest it should be easier to make conversation with them.I know how annoying it can be to try talking to people when your dealing with anxious feelings and the symptoms that come with it but you have to try and calm yourself. A bit of a tangent but I myself am quite nervous for when I go to university as I'm a weird, funky-ass dude (currently in a gap year to get money so we're the same age) and I worry I won't meet any weirdos like myself. Realistically you're bound to meet someone you click with eventually.

For my anxiety I've started to meditate: always thought it was a bit odd and not for me but damn it can do you some good. I've also started taking Lions Mane mushrooms and CBD oil to manage but I'm trying to ween myself off the CBD since I don't want to hve to constantly use it to feel okay. I want to fix myself rather than mask my symptoms. This might do you some good though to essentially set the foundation for your recovery. Think of it like this, if thing are bad right now the only way is up. You'll get better and better up until the point your anxiety won't even affect you anymore and you wouldv'e grown to become a stronger person because of it

I can't swiftly move onto different topics so I'll have to do this a bit abruptly but I struggled at A-level with my chemistry. I mean I genuinely sucked ass at it and ususally got low B's in the past papers. Ended up with a B overall. To improve, you have to identify what went wrong and focus on those area. It's normal to sometimes feel not as smart as others, that's fine. It's just that we have to put in particularly more effort than others may have to. Committment is down to the individual so if your passionate about your subject that's probably the only fuel in your metaphorical hearth you need to maintain you. If this isn't the case then think of your long-term goals and focus on them.

SFE should be able to give you financial support as anxiety is considered a disability that'd be covered under the mental health branch. All you need to do is ask your doctor for evidence e.g. evidence or consultations. They might need to write/print a report, i can't really remember since i only looked over it briefly.
One big takeaway from this is that you have to maintain a positive perspective on everything. Optimism is crucial otherwise your progress to recovery will be hindered dramatically. You have the right mindset, once this is over you have a fresh start. Part of anxiety can sometimes be fixating on the fact that you have anxiety. Accepting it as a part of you for the time being and being able to treat it gently as if it's kind of a joke helps to deal with it. I want to suggest something else but we need privacy. If you can, learn about PGP encryption and send me a message, also download Wickr. I'll message you my Public key or sth.

The Turkey thing really did make me insecure but now I find it kinda funny at how small I am. I've gone back to not caring about my height much apart from times where my brain goes funny and I can feel how small I am (like I'm actually 5'8 but then I got transported to a dream where I'm far smaller). That's sort of rare. I can feel my insecurities fading now but my main issue is the physical discomfort I feel due to my anxiety. The constant weak squeezing feeling. I don't really get emotional anxiety unless I'm about to go to work soon. I think it's just my personality honestly, I engage in quite a lot of self-deprecating humour but it's all in light fun so I like the fact that I'm not particularly tall or good looking. I care less about my appearence and put more focus in my personality making me more fun to be around.

I never even asked but could you give a general display of your personality and interests (I know your into fashion which is cool, so am I but more so into looking stylish without haveing to spend much so I dont get any designer)

(Original post by TobiasSH)
I'm actually 19 and finished my first year of uni which was a disaster. I wish I was in college lol, I was in such a better state back then. I started off the year really happy and wanted to make a lot of friends but then my anxiety ruined me. I was only diagnosed a few months back but I really struggled to fit in, found the work really hard and ended up skipping classes for most of the year. I became very introverted, self conscious and I didn't feel like I belonged around all these genius students. After most of my exams I just went back to my room and started crying. My roommates are all athletic lads and really fit in with each other so I felt like an outsider. Was almost completely alone for most of the year apart from some classmates that I briefly met but I wouldn't say we're friends. And then suddenly I started getting insecure about my appearance and height for some reason which I never did before and it came at a very bad time. Now I'm at a very low point after results came as I have to resit nearly all my modules and I have to learn everything before next month and I'm also broke so I don't even know how I'm going to be able to pay £50 per exam so I'm gonna have to apply for financial aid or something. However, I sometimes get the positive thought that once this is out of the way, I have the 2nd year where I get to start again and get a second chance at everything but I have a feeling anxiety is gonna ruin that for me as well. But anyway I've started getting help with this from my uni advisors so I'm trying to be optimistic.

And regards to the trip, I meant the turkey trip that you mentioned before that triggered your height insecurity. I know what it feels like to be the smallest in group pictures.
username4882346
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Wow 5'8 isn't short at all, just slightly below average but you're not a midget.

Anyway I'm gonna really try hard next year and try to finish with a good degree. Problem with student finance is that I come from a quite a privileged family so they likely won't give me any more. My parents could easily afford my resit fees but I can't tell them that I've failed nearly everything. I have a lot of assets I could sell which I don't particularly want to do but I guess it must be done
(Original post by Kaneki Amano)
I was much better back in college too. Looking back now I honestly have no idea how I had such thick skin. Do you know why your anxiety creeped in or was it just out of nowhere? The main thing with anxiety is that if you know and truly understand the cause of it then most (if not all) of it will go away. With the trouble you had fitting in with people I completely get that. You should try working with people who don't have a sense of humour and are a completely different age demographic to you aka pretty similar to what you went through. This didn't do too well for my brain since it also made me feel completely alone and like someone 'other' My anxiety always made me think that people were talking behind my back since I would leave the room to go 'toilet' since I never connected with them and found it painfully awkward to try engaging in conversation with them.
To find people more like yourself I'd suggest you to join clubs your interested in and meeting people through there. Since you already have a common interest it should be easier to make conversation with them.I know how annoying it can be to try talking to people when your dealing with anxious feelings and the symptoms that come with it but you have to try and calm yourself. A bit of a tangent but I myself am quite nervous for when I go to university as I'm a weird, funky-ass dude (currently in a gap year to get money so we're the same age) and I worry I won't meet any weirdos like myself. Realistically you're bound to meet someone you click with eventually.

For my anxiety I've started to meditate: always thought it was a bit odd and not for me but damn it can do you some good. I've also started taking Lions Mane mushrooms and CBD oil to manage but I'm trying to ween myself off the CBD since I don't want to hve to constantly use it to feel okay. I want to fix myself rather than mask my symptoms. This might do you some good though to essentially set the foundation for your recovery. Think of it like this, if thing are bad right now the only way is up. You'll get better and better up until the point your anxiety won't even affect you anymore and you wouldv'e grown to become a stronger person because of it

I can't swiftly move onto different topics so I'll have to do this a bit abruptly but I struggled at A-level with my chemistry. I mean I genuinely sucked ass at it and ususally got low B's in the past papers. Ended up with a B overall. To improve, you have to identify what went wrong and focus on those area. It's normal to sometimes feel not as smart as others, that's fine. It's just that we have to put in particularly more effort than others may have to. Committment is down to the individual so if your passionate about your subject that's probably the only fuel in your metaphorical hearth you need to maintain you. If this isn't the case then think of your long-term goals and focus on them.

SFE should be able to give you financial support as anxiety is considered a disability that'd be covered under the mental health branch. All you need to do is ask your doctor for evidence e.g. evidence or consultations. They might need to write/print a report, i can't really remember since i only looked over it briefly.
One big takeaway from this is that you have to maintain a positive perspective on everything. Optimism is crucial otherwise your progress to recovery will be hindered dramatically. You have the right mindset, once this is over you have a fresh start. Part of anxiety can sometimes be fixating on the fact that you have anxiety. Accepting it as a part of you for the time being and being able to treat it gently as if it's kind of a joke helps to deal with it. I want to suggest something else but we need privacy. If you can, learn about PGP encryption and send me a message, also download Wickr. I'll message you my Public key or sth.

The Turkey thing really did make me insecure but now I find it kinda funny at how small I am. I've gone back to not caring about my height much apart from times where my brain goes funny and I can feel how small I am (like I'm actually 5'8 but then I got transported to a dream where I'm far smaller). That's sort of rare. I can feel my insecurities fading now but my main issue is the physical discomfort I feel due to my anxiety. The constant weak squeezing feeling. I don't really get emotional anxiety unless I'm about to go to work soon. I think it's just my personality honestly, I engage in quite a lot of self-deprecating humour but it's all in light fun so I like the fact that I'm not particularly tall or good looking. I care less about my appearence and put more focus in my personality making me more fun to be around.

I never even asked but could you give a general display of your personality and interests (I know your into fashion which is cool, so am I but more so into looking stylish without haveing to spend much so I dont get any designer)
brotherisgone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My brother went of to uni when he was 18 and I was 16 (I'm a girl btw) at this point I was taller than him I was 5"7 and when he cam back after his first semester at xmas he was 6"1. However, it all depends on genetics and I think lifestyle has something to do with it.
Kaneki Amano
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm actually 5'4 but when my brain goes funny I feel like I'm supposed to be around 5'8 and then I see the world as if I'm smaller than what I'm supposed to be

Do what you gotta do for the exams dude, you can probably get your parents to pay for a couple or so of the resits. The finance for disability allowance isn't affected by your income as far as I'm aware. But hey, something is better than nothing right?
(Original post by TobiasSH)
Wow 5'8 isn't short at all, just slightly below average but you're not a midget.

Anyway I'm gonna really try hard next year and try to finish with a good degree. Problem with student finance is that I come from a quite a privileged family so they likely won't give me any more. My parents could easily afford my resit fees but I can't tell them that I've failed nearly everything. I have a lot of assets I could sell which I don't particularly want to do but I guess it must be done
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by member159703)
i did, grew about 6 inches between 18 and 19
6 inches is decent ! How tall were you before you had the growth spurt , and whats your over all height this year in 2019 ? I’m 5’4 at 18 years and I’m curious to see if I have a chance to grow.
Haroon4ever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How. Do u deal with it I’m 5ft 9And feel short
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (188)
19.07%
Labour (423)
42.9%
Liberal Democrats (191)
19.37%
Green Party (53)
5.38%
Brexit Party (26)
2.64%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (12)
1.22%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)