Turn on thread page Beta

I don't know what this is - lack of motivation? I'm really scared... watch

Basically, about three years ago I suffered from severe anxiety. It got much, much better thanks to help from a psychologist. I even took a gap year abroad, living on my own!

The thing is, I'm a lazy person. I hate effort of any kind, unless there's some instant gratifictation for me. During the last part of secondary school, I couldn't be bothered. I'd do projects the night before, and that evolved into revising for A-Levels practically the night before as well. This caused me a lot of stress... because the weeks before my exams, whilst I knew I should be revising, I was on the internet messing around, on facebook, twitter, tumblr, you name it.

My last year of sixth form was pretty much the same. I did art A-Level and left all of my coursework untill the week before (for those of you who have done art A-Level, you know how suicidal that can be!) and I think I started to revise for my other exams about two days before. I did okay in my A-Levels, but I could have done much better.

After my anxiety subsided, I did better. Granted, I didn't really have any academic deadlines during my gap year.

I started university this year, and at first, I was pretty into it. Sure, we got a lot of reading. But, I started to leave it, started to put things off, and I just find anything to do to keep myself from doing it. I have an essay and two exams in two weeks time, and a statistical exercise to give in soon, and I've done no preparation/work for this whatsoever. I don't understand why I can't just sit myself down, turn the computer off, and study!!!

The thing is, I can feel it impacting on my mental health. I'm getting anxious again - I'm going up to London on a fun trip with two of my uni friends and have spent the last week having night mares and worrying about it! I just want to have a good time but think that something awful will happen tomorrow - I'll be sick or something and I'll let everyone down.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to cope?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.