The Student Room Group

How ethanoyl chloride can be used to confirm the identity of an amine?

The amine is believed to be ethylamine.

How do we identify it? (3marks) I'm guessing it's when the salt is produced from the ethylamine reacting to the HCl produced, but I'm not sure.

Also, what's the equation of this reaction and the product? (2marks)

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alpha-Omega
The amine is believed to be ethylamine.

How do we identify it? (3marks) I'm guessing it's when the salt is produced from the ethylamine reacting to the HCl produced, but I'm not sure.

Also, what's the equation of this reaction and the product? (2marks)

Thanks!

is this related to Edexcel ???
amine + acetyl chloride = N-alkyl acetamide + HCl

Basically you'd be making a derivative of the amine.

MP
Reply 3
Original post by Relina
is this related to Edexcel ???

Yeah, it was from one of the sheets our teacher gave to us.
Reply 4
Original post by MaturePharm
amine + acetyl chloride = N-alkyl acetamide + HCl

Basically you'd be making a derivative of the amine.

MP

So, how does making a derivative of the amine allow to identify the identity of the amine?
Reply 5
This is the full question:

Certain acyl chlorides are useful reagents for the positive identification of amines.

Describe how ethanoyl chloride can be used to confirm the identity of an amine, believed (believed from its boiling point) to be ethylamine.

Write an equation for the reaction occuring in this; and name the product.
Certain acyl chlorides are useful reagents for the positive identification of amines.

i.e. some acid chlorides can be a test for amines

not a specific amine
Reply 7
Original post by EierVonSatan
i.e. some acid chlorides can be a test for amines

not a specific amine

Could you describe how does it identify that it's an amine?
Reply 8
HCl is produced (observation of steamy fumes)...?
Could you describe how does it identify that it's an amine?

It's a bit rubbish really - it just reacts with the amine. Acyl chlorides will react with a lot of things such as water, alcohols and amines to give off HCl gas. I suppose you could identify each by how the product behaves - the reaction with water will produce an acidic solution, the reaction with the alcohol will produce an ester (probably a non-miscible liquid with water) and the amine you'd probably get a precipitate.

A much better test would be the Hinsberg reaction, which is similar (uses a sulfuryl chloride instead of an acid chloride).

...or in the late twentieth century and since we use spectroscopy to identify things :rolleyes:
Reply 10
With this....

Original post by EierVonSatan
It's a bit rubbish really - it just reacts with the amine. Acyl chlorides will react with a lot of things such as water, alcohols and amines to give off HCl gas. I suppose you could identify each by how the product behaves - the reaction with water will produce an acidic solution, the reaction with the alcohol will produce an ester (probably a non-miscible liquid with water) and the amine you'd probably get a precipitate.

A much better test would be the Hinsberg reaction, which is similar (uses a sulfuryl chloride instead of an acid chloride).

...or in the late twentieth century and since we use spectroscopy to identify things :rolleyes:

and this...

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanisms/addelim/amines.html

homework's done!

Thanks to all replies.

Quick Reply

Latest