Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im in a uni halls of residence living in a shared flat,two girls one other boy and myself.
    one of the girls was walking around in her underwear the other day.
    I said to the other guy (who is bearing in mind gay) that it wasnt the done thing if guys are living with you- and not really socially accepted because it shows a lack of self respect e.g. guys staring at you half naked and gawping, imo makes you look a bit cheap- (if she was my daughter, sister or girl friend and I heard about this I'd be fuming!!!)

but the other guy seems to think its acceptable because "its her home as well" and "hes seen other girls do that in other accommodations" but i was thinking that may only been the case cos hes gay and therefore he wouldnt be looking at them in an arousing manner so girls would be ok doing that in front of him....

so what are people's thoughts? Am I thinking old fashioned thoughts a bit like my parents or have times changed and it's now acceptable??

edit: also any girls replying -would you walk around in your underwear???

ReputationRep:
    Who cares ? Why is it important ? why do english people love to debate ?

ReputationRep:
    she wants your ****. obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Giggity!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well she's not your daughter, sister or girlfriend so unless it's making you uncomfortable, which apparently it isn't, mind your own business.

Oh come on, what is the problem here? He didn't say that he was uncomfortable and he even mentioned sneaking a peek. She's clearly not embarassed to walk around in her underwear so leave her to it. I don't see why the OP has to intervene here.

ReputationRep:
    Was she singing you'll never get this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingme)
    she wants your ****. obviously.
    I agree. You should probably go right on ahead and stick it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSG1992)
    Yeah well she's not your daughter, sister or girlfriend so unless it's making you uncomfortable, which apparently it isn't, mind your own business.
    no need for that! it's a discussion about whether or not the majority of society sees it as acceptable or not

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are old fashioned. You go swimming, girls are in bikinis everywhere. Underwear is no more revealing than that, so why is it any different?

I live in halls where there are 8 boys and girls living together in the same flat. One of the guys walks around in his boxers quite often, which no one pays any attention to. Some of the girls walk around in sports bras. Get used to it if you live with her, everyone wants to feel at home in their own house.

ReputationRep:
    Never. :/

She sounds like a bit of a weirdo to me. Pyjamas and at a stretch a towel, but underwear? Tbh there's something about underwear (even though it shows no less than a bikini) which is really personal.

I would be quite shocked. And uncomfortable. And I'm a girl!!

It's a bit trampy doing it in front of people you hardly know. I would argue that the context does matter. Communal areas of a house aren't a beach. Personally I don't enjoy trying to avoid looking at a crotch covered by a close fitting layer of cotton, or the arse cheeks hanging out the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chibelta)
    Never. :/

She sounds like a bit of a weirdo to me. Pyjamas and at a stretch a towel, but underwear? Tbh there's something about underwear (even though it shows no less than a bikini) which is really personal.

I would be quite shocked. And uncomfortable. And I'm a girl!!
    thank goodness im not the only one that thinks that lol

ReputationRep:
    I see it as perfectly acceptable. Who cares?

How can you say it's unnaceptable, and you'd be fuming if it was a relation of yours. Then in the next line say you had a good stare as she walked out.

Reeks of childish, pathetic hypocricy. You need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it, except maybe in my room (though I'd be embarrassed if anyone walked in), but some girls just take it less seriously, like the ones that will walk around a changing room with no bra on, while most girls will hide behind a t-shirt whilst changing.

It does seem a bit extreme, and I've never heard of it happening, but it's her choice I guess. Then again, surely she doesn't do it at home - what if her Dad or brothers see her? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    As long as she's comfortable walking around in underwear I don't really see it as a problem! Like your flatmate said it's her home too and it's not really any worse than someone walking around in a bikini is it?!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's her own matter, if she feels confident to walk around in her underwear, so be it. You just have to try and not get in her way when that happens if it bothers you.
    I sometimes pop down to the kitchen for a few seconds in my 'sexy nighties', which are revealing, but I don't feel that confident, so I tend to quickly rush down and back up- hoping no one will see me, apart from another girl who studies in the kitchen dining area. I generaly respect my housemates and wear a dressing gown or full pjs now as it's cold, don't mind walking around in them.

I guess it's individual's choice what makes them feel good, I'm sure no one walks around in their underwear for a whole day, just for a few minutes to get something urgently maybe. Guys walk topless and in shorts/boxers anyway, at least from my experiences.

ReputationRep:
    OP, do you walk around in your boxers?

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to have a bit of self respect and realise that as a man you're not mandated to look at every girl in underwear that you see. You have self control and can choose to use it. You don't HAVE to look at her just because she's in her pants. If she's happy with the possibility that you might look then let her walk. I think there would be a problem if she did it and then got mad every time you glanced at her, but she's not.

Personally, no, I don't walk around in my underwear (although I do in my PJs and I sleep in shorts so I guess it's not THAT different) but that's more because I'm body conscious and don't want to join in with the 'chubbyyyyyyyyyyyy' banter that my male housemates (who ALL walk about in next to nothing) have with each other than because I somehow perceive that letting someone see my bare stomach might have some correlation with how easy it is to get into my pants :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The reason many people still find it unacceptable is because of just that - it has remained unacceptable for no reason at all.

If you live in a Muslim country where the majority of women walk around with their hair covered and you happen to spot one without a headscarf, you're quite likely to immediately think "whore"!

You go to places like Brazil where everyone walks around in bikinis in the street and no one is going to look at them twice.

The unsaid rules of society (sometimes good and sometimes bad) is what makes stupidly little things seem obviously unacceptable to anyone, but without any reasonably logical reason.

ReputationRep:
    She is a slut/whore.

(Original post by parasitic)
    I think it's her own matter, if she feels confident to walk around in her underwear, so be it. You just have to try and not get in her way when that happens if it bothers you.
    I sometimes pop down to the kitchen for a few seconds in my 'sexy nighties', which are revealing, but I don't feel that confident, so I tend to quickly rush down and back up- hoping no one will see me, apart from another girl who studies in the kitchen dining area. I generaly respect my housemates and wear a dressing gown or full pjs now as it's cold, don't mind walking around in them.

I guess it's individual's choice what makes them feel good, I'm sure no one walks around in their underwear for a whole day, just for a few minutes to get something urgently maybe. Guys walk topless and in shorts/boxers anyway, at least from my experiences.
    Utter rubbish. There is something called dignity and class. To walk around in your underwear around relative strangers is what ****s do because when else would you see someone in their underwear? Either before of after you **** them, not when you are strolling around your halls. If you want convenience, buy a dressing gown.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.