Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My tutor is useless and he has taken 4 weeks and he has still not written my reference, I'm getting worried that I won't get any offers if he leaves it any later. Am I less likely to get offers if I send it off later? Especially if my predicted grades are only ACD..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Late means after the deadline. This will affect your application.

Anything else is not late, and will not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Late means after the deadline. This will affect your application.

Anything else is not late, and will not.
    I've heard that it's first come first serve? So if I sent it nearer the final deadline am I less likely to get offers than if I sent it in really early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollster57)
    I've heard that it's first come first serve? So if I sent it nearer the final deadline am I less likely to get offers than if I sent it in really early?
    That's scare tactics schools use to try and make sure you get it done before the deadline. The honest truth is that (so long as you have applied before the appropriate deadlines) earlier applications do not make much of a difference to you getting offers or not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You heard wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    That's scare tactics schools use to try and make sure you get it done before the deadline. The honest truth is that (so long as you have applied before the appropriate deadlines) earlier applications do not make much of a difference to you getting offers or not.
    Oh right I hope so! That's settled me down a bit! Hopefully my tutor will have done my reference by Monday and I can finally get it sent off!

ReputationRep:
    My tutor is useless and he has taken 4 weeks and he has still not written my reference, I'm getting worried that I won't get any offers if he leaves it any later. Am I less likely to get offers if I send it off later? Especially if my predicted grades are only ACD..
    You get no extra credit for early entry. All applications that meet the deadline are considered equally. Late applications are up to the Uni. Some automatically reject, some consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    You get no extra credit for early entry. All applications that meet the deadline are considered equally. Late applications are up to the Uni. Some automatically reject, some consider.
    But what if they only offer places to a certain number of people? And then because you've sent it later the places are full? Does that happen?

ReputationRep:
    But what if they only offer places to a certain number of people? And then because you've sent it later the places are full? Does that happen?
    Potentially, although according to the official dogma from UCAS, it shouldn't happen.

As things stand, I'd say that getting your application in sooner rather than later is a good thing, but so long as you get it in before the deadline, it's not going to kill your chances.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They make many more offers than places. And it's not the case where they absolutely have to make 71 offers and 72 just will not do.

Admissions tutors know what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Quite honestly, of course it will. Many have already given our offers, and there's only a set amount. This isn't what people want to hear, but it's the truth. Whether the effect is very significant is a different question.

ReputationRep:
    Ceteris paribus, it is better to send your application off early.

It is the same principal as money now is always better than the same amount of money in the future. The money being your application and the recipient being the university.

ReputationRep:
    Since a lot of universities have already started giving out offers to students who have applied, then perhaps

ReputationRep:
    The official line is that it doesn't matter when you submit your application as long as it's before the appropriate deadline. One admissions tutor told me that you tend to get "a bit more choosy" when it's mid-January and you only have a few more offers to give out but the application pile is still up to the ceiling.

If you have an excellent application you will probably get an offer whenever you apply. If you have a bad application you will probably get rejected. If you have a middling application there is some evidence to suggest that an earlier application is more favourable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Many universities work in batches. I.e. if they have 50 spaces, then they select the best 10 in October, December, Jan, Feb, March.
    Some universities also have a set number of spaces they will give to applicants below the entry requirements etc
    If you hand in your application late, you will be up against more competition, but obviously, they even this out.
    In short, if you're an excellent candidate, it shouldn't make a difference.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.