Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been randomly offered a placement in the compliance department of a large investment bank after applying for a risk and a trading position (both were full).

Anyone ever done a placement in this area? What did it involve?
    Is it mainly a 'back-office' job?

I am wanting to go into the equity markets after university and I feel that this won't really aid my application.

ReputationRep:
    Compliance is what it says on the tin. You are there to ensure that the bank's activities comply with the laws and regulations that their operations are subject to, and typically that means you're coming up with internal policies that capture that. So it's clearly a back office job. I've not done a placement in compliance, but it sounds terribly dull to me, certainly when you're starting out. It might help you get some colour on the financial industry, and if you can network your way into a job you want, that's great! Realistically though, you won't learn any/many skills useful to trading or risk.

ReputationRep:
    Take the job and stop whinging.

You won't learn anything about trading as my man said before.

As Compliance you let the traders get away with whatever they want to do. Using your talents to look at the regulation and seeing how far it can be stretched. That way you get a bigger bonus. Compliance gets some of the biggest bonuses outside front office, why is that? Everything you think is the opposite.

Stockbrokers = make money for clients = no not really.

Anti Money Laudering = AML = you become an AML expert in the bank, therefore you know all the loop holes in the law for money laundering, over the years you prove what type of person you are. You help the bank launder money. Have you heard of UBS? Citi? Wells Fargo?

Forensic Accountant = You help trace peoples hiden money = thats one side but because you are now an expert in hiding money from authorities you also know how to hide it better than anyone else. They need the smartest people to do this, Oxbridge etc. Now you help clients hide their money and other fraudulent activities.

ReputationRep:
    you can never get rich as a salary recipient by doing jobs that do not generate revenue. in compliance it is fair to say that 200k is the limit.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.